Shore excursions included on expedition cruises?

BerlinCruisers

We are wondering if all shore excursions on Seabourn expedition cruises are included in the cruise fare (like on Silversea e.g.). Reading the published information it is not quite clear whether this is the case or only zodiac and bike activities are covered, whereas land excursions (and things like submarine rides of course) would be optional for a charge. Could anyone clarify who has already been on a Seabourn Expedition Cruise?

Thank you!

Edited by BerlinCruisers

I don't understand your question as Seabourn Venture is Seabourn's only true expedition ship and that is due to be launched till December 2021. So best to contact Seabourn directly as none of us has the experience.

If you mean expedition cruises in Alaska and Antarctica only zodiac tours with the ability to walk on land in Antarctica are included. 

At the moment all of this is unknown because with the restart we are not sure how things have changed. Though I am pretty sure zodiac tours and landings in Antarctica will remain.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

In Antarctica on Quest the zodiacs to the shore and the walking tours are led by the expedition leaders and they are included. I do not remember if there is any charge for kayaking where this is permitted. Best ask Seabourn.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We were in Antarctica and South Georgia on Quest last year. For days when we didn’t actually go on land (zodiac tours), the expedition group did some guiding (as well as zodiac driving). For days when there were landings, the expedition team members were there and available to answer questions as we wandered along the permitted routes. There were no actual “walking tours”. Kayaking was an additional charge, as were any tours in South America. In those destinations, we made private guide arrangements with some other passengers. 

I agree.  Just mentioning what we did in the “before” time. (Hard to believe that we got back from that cruise just 15 months ago!). Right now though, I    would have a difficult time imagining touring around Argentina, Chile or Uruguay. It is a mess down there! 

Kayak excursions in Antarctica were $295 during our January 2020 cruise on Quest from San Antonio to Buenos Aires. Zodiac landings were included in the price with naturalists available to answer questions as we stuck to a defined route on land to keep us from disturbing wildlife. Zodiac tours without landings were also included with the zodiac driver acting as guide. Naturalists also had assigned hours to be available while scenic cruising in Antarctica.

Shore excursions in Chile and Argentina were not included. Descriptions and prices are available on the Seabourn website. Shore excursions seemed to be the same as offered by other cruise lines, however Seabourn said that they limit coach tours to 70% of capacity.