Anyone Remember American Export-Isbrandtsen Lines?

I have a some nice souvenirs from this line for the SS Independence (including 1 garish photo of a disaster cruise idea of 1968, SS Constitution, NS Savannah (the Nuclear ship)

The photos are of 

SS Independence Fugazi Go-Go Cruises which failed miserably (This is an Original Newspaper Press Photo)

NS Savannah Dining Room Dinner Plate (very hard to find unless lucky on Ebay)

2 Postcards of the Independence and Constitution in *White* hulls instead of black

1 First Day Cover NS Savannah Envelope and postcard

1 Constitution 1967 Daily Program

1 Dining Room Bread Plate (yes it is confirmed this was used in the dining room and it *not* an ashtray

1965 Ad For The SS Independence, SS Constitution and SS Atlantic

ss_independence_go_go_cruises_by_wildelf34_de7plpd-fullview.jpg

dczrxjw-14f65bba-e2e7-4657-bb3d-9072cedefb60.jpg

constitution_postcard_by_wildelf34_ddjvzq0-fullview.jpg

ddjdvkh-58982404-e02c-456b-ae5b-a26f2fe43f30.jpg

ns_savannah_first_day_cover_by_wildelf34_dcb28e0-fullview.jpg

nuclear_ship_savannah_postcard_by_wildelf34_dc95o4w-fullview.jpg

ddcqmif-6653eece-796a-4707-8d94-9ff49598aea4.jpg

american_export_lines_dish_by_wildelf34_d8sxhpm-fullview.jpg

1965_american_export_isbrandtsen_lines_ad_by_wildelf34_datu2pv-fullview.jpg

My family (parents and grand parents) always went to Italy to visit family on an "Italian Line" ship but  my great uncle always went on either the "Independence" or "Constitution".  He  went to several "Bon Voyage" parties when he and family sailed.  Many years later I/we sailed on the "Constitution" when is was  part ot "American Hawaii" cruises.  They had a Grace Kelly lounge with lots of photos and memorabilia as she sailed on it to Monaco for her wedding to Prince Rainier. 

3 hours ago, marco said:

My family (parents and grand parents) always went to Italy to visit family on an "Italian Line" ship but  my great uncle always went on either the "Independence" or "Constitution".  He  went to several "Bon Voyage" parties when he and family sailed.  Many years later I/we sailed on the "Constitution" when is was  part ot "American Hawaii" cruises.  They had a Grace Kelly lounge with lots of photos and memorabilia as she sailed on it to Monaco for her wedding to Prince Rainier. 

Nice, sounded like fun. I have a few items too for the Italian line, which Italian Line ship did they go on? I'm sure I'll have a postcard or something from the ship maybe as I have quite a few postcards for that line in my personal collection (sadly none of my items are for sale as they in my personal collection) but if let me know which ship, I'll gladly post photos of the items so you can see them.

Norboy76:  We went to Italy by ship several times.  I/we have sailed on:  Cristoforo Columbo, DaVinci, Michelangelo and Raffaello.  Sometimes we would go eastbound on one ship, return on another.  I think the last time we sailed to Italy was in "75 and we went on the DaVinci. I don't know if we came and went on it then out of coincidence  or  they had already taken the Michelangelo and Raffaello out of T/A service by then.  Perhaps someone else knows the answer?

59 minutes ago, marco said:

Norboy76:  We went to Italy by ship several times.  I/we have sailed on:  Cristoforo Columbo, DaVinci, Michelangelo and Raffaello.  Sometimes we would go eastbound on one ship, return on another.  I think the last time we sailed to Italy was in "75 and we went on the DaVinci. I don't know if we came and went on it then out of coincidence  or  they had already taken the Michelangelo and Raffaello out of T/A service by then.  Perhaps someone else knows the answer?

I have items for those ships and various record album Lps for the Michelangelo and Raffaello and a pile of Michelangelo menus from 1967 and various postcards and First Class daily programs from the Michelangelo from 1967

1966_bon_voyage_raffaello_record_album_by_wildelf34_dck8doz-pre.jpg

cristoforo_colombo_by_wildelf34_ddn18ps-pre.jpg

leonardo_da_vinci_by_wildelf34_ddr7jh6-pre.jpg

raffaello_record_album_by_wildelf34_dck3a05-pre.jpg

ss_michelangelo_menus_by_wildelf34_ddckb8l-pre.jpg

ss_raffaello_artists_impression_postcard_by_wildelf34_ddjzwg5-fullview.jpg

tn_michelangelo_lp_front_by_wildelf34_dauisww-fullview.jpg

tn_michelangelo_lp_front_by_wildelf34_dauit4t-fullview.jpg

ddckd0s-73be8d28-0a44-4aad-8b23-2b842413f990.jpg

ss_michelangelo_postcard_by_wildelf34_ddjzx44-fullview.jpg

• Like 1

I have a LOT of menus and daily programs from various sailings.  However...all from "Cabin Class'.  My mother thought First Class was a bit too formal and Tourist a little too austere, so we always went Cabin.  I remember on the Michelangelo and Raffaello, the  1st class and cabin class dining rooms were almost identical, other than size and both were serviced out of the same kitchen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marco said:

I have a LOT of menus and daily programs from various sailings.  However...all from "Cabin Class'.  My mother thought First Class was a bit too formal and Tourist a little too austere, so we always went Cabin.  I remember on the Michelangelo and Raffaello, the  1st class and cabin class dining rooms were almost identical, other than size and both were serviced out of the same kitchen.

Nice, I've seen photos of the interiors of the MIchelangelo and Raffaello, they looked really nice, it's sad they didn't sail too long, only 10 yrs of service before lay-up, 1965 - 1975, they came out too late as so many were going by planes and all the fuel troubles  of that time didn't help. My menus and programs, I got from an auction, but some of the items from friends that were on her. Also sadly they we're money losers for the Italian line and each sold for a measly $2 million dollars considering they cost $45 million each to build

• 2 weeks later...

The next time you see the movie...”An Affair To Remember”, starring Carry Grant and Deborah Kerr, you will see the SS Constitution.   The restaurant scenes are classic.  They actually used the real First Class menus.  

• Like 1