Jump to content

Walking into San Pedro Cruise Port (LA)


Recommended Posts

Hi there,

 

I'm interested in a princess cruise to Los Angeles next April and wondered if I chose a hotel close to the cruise port in San Pedro whether I would be allowed to walk in rather than get a taxi? Not been to LA before so just wanted to ask ūüėÄ.¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cruisekid25 said:

Hi there,

 

I'm interested in a princess cruise to Los Angeles next April and wondered if I chose a hotel close to the cruise port in San Pedro whether I would be allowed to walk in rather than get a taxi? Not been to LA before so just wanted to ask ūüėÄ.¬†

You should post such questions on the port board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, for sure.  Crowne Plaza is a an easy15 minute walk.

There are a couple of hotels in the immediate area. Take a look at "hotels in San Pedro". There's one practically next door to CP that costs less $$.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can. To the Crown Plaza it is a little over a mile walk. You might also e-mail the Double Tree. They may have a free pick up service. The Double Tree is a nice hotel further away, but still in San Pedro.

You should realize that while San Pedro is actually in the City of Los Angeles it is nowhere near the popular L.A. tourist sights and beach areas. It is closer to Long Beach. Check out the maps on line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cruisekid25 said:

Hi there,

 

I'm interested in a princess cruise to Los Angeles next April and wondered if I chose a hotel close to the cruise port in San Pedro whether I would be allowed to walk in rather than get a taxi? Not been to LA before so just wanted to ask ūüėÄ.¬†

We live about an hour from the port but prefer to spend the night prior in a local hotel to lessen stress in the morning...and also to take advantage of some park and cruise deals at times.  Last Princess cruise prior to the pandemic, we stayed at the Doubletree--very nice, beautiful marina view from our room.  But not walking distance to the pier or to most area restaurants.  Of course, we had our car, so we drove to lunch and dinner...but the hotel will shuttle you to area restaurants.

 

The Best Western is also outside of walking distance but will shuttle to the pier...but I find, though the hotel itself is nice, the location is fairly unattractive.

 

The Crowne Plaza is where we will be staying prior to our October Majestic Princess cruise.  We've walked from here to the pier before...and it is an easy 3/4 mile walk on flat streets with few roads to cross--about one short block to Harbor Blvd., cross the street, then along the water front past the USS Iowa to the terminal.  The hotel offers a shuttle, but, if you don't have an overwhelming amount of luggage and what you have is on wheels, it's easy to just walk.  There are also lots of good restaurant choices near the Crowne Plaza--like within two short blocks.  The San Pedro Brewing Co.--next block over from the hotel--is my favorite...Also the Green Onion (Mexican), Whale & Ale, Niko's Pizza and many more.

 

There are other hotels close to port--like the "Sunrise"--but I would not stay there based on some scary reviews...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another advantage of the Crowne Plaza besides a short 0.7 mile walk to the cruise terminal is that it has more restaurants within a couple of blocks of the hotel whereas the DT only has one expensive restaurant nearby. Another CG advantage is being walkable to the ship because it’s been our experience that hotels shuttles to/from the ship can be very slow with long wait times & DT is a 3 times longer 2.2 mile walk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

The San Pedro Brewing Co.--next block over from the hotel--is my favorite..

We followed your recommendation to go there & enjoyed it very much…thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruisekid25. Are you sailing to San Pedro from some other place or sailing from San Pedro?

"I'm interested in a princess cruise to Los Angeles next April"

I think most of the responses assume from, but you mentioned to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crowne Plaza and Doubletree both have a shuttle. As others have said Crowne Plaza is walkable. We stay at Crowne Plaza and are lazy so we use the shuttle rather than schlepping our luggage by hand. We love being able to make the short walk from CP to San Pedro Brewing Company. We usually also make a longer walk down to CVS or (I forget the other store) to pick up our carry on bottles of wine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last cruise out of San Pedro, I took the Silver Line bus to the Harbor/Beacon Park and Ride Stop (right across Harbor Blvd. and Beacon St. from the cruise terminal parking lot) and walked the rest (about 1/4 mile). Looking at the line of cars trying to get into the cruise terminal parking lot, it was a very good decision (two ships totaling 5,500 passengers boarding that day).

Link to post
Share on other sites

We drive to San Pedro. If you stay at the Crowne Plaza, do you have to leave your keys with the hotel after you park your car? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Grammy J said:

We drive to San Pedro. If you stay at the Crowne Plaza, do you have to leave your keys with the hotel after you park your car? 

Yes…in their park & stay package they park your care in their underground valet parking lot and the package also includes breakfast & shuttle to/from the cruise terminal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lstone19 said:

Last cruise out of San Pedro, I took the Silver Line bus to the Harbor/Beacon Park and Ride Stop (right across Harbor Blvd. and Beacon St. from the cruise terminal parking lot) and walked the rest (about 1/4 mile). Looking at the line of cars trying to get into the cruise terminal parking lot, it was a very good decision (two ships totaling 5,500 passengers boarding that day).

I am not sure where Larry was coming from (and, maybe more importantly, why?), but I don't think I'd recommend this to anyone.  First of all, the "Silver Line" runs from El Monte to San Pedro via Downtown LA...or, at least half of its buses do...the other half end their run at the "Harbor Gateway Transit Center"--which is in Gardena on the border of Compton--really nowhere near the Harbor. And only half the buses are of the "Express designation" --which skip the stops at 37th St, Slauson, Manchester and Rosecrans--as it passes through some of the worst areas of the city...so, assuming one had a reason to actually stay in Downtown LA (or one of these other godforsaken areas)--which I completely recommend against, or if one came in on Amtrak, then, yes, one might have the opportunity to ride this bus--and one had better make sure to get on the right bus...

But, you might feel ill at ease trying to schlepp your luggage onto it...and expect looks of disdain from the locals who use this bus as their mode of transportation to get to and from work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I am not sure where Larry was coming from (and, maybe more importantly, why?), but I don't think I'd recommend this to anyone.  First of all, the "Silver Line" runs from El Monte to San Pedro via Downtown LA...or, at least half of its buses do...the other half end their run at the "Harbor Gateway Transit Center"--which is in Gardena on the border of Compton--really nowhere near the Harbor. And only half the buses are of the "Express designation" --which skip the stops at 37th St, Slauson, Manchester and Rosecrans--as it passes through some of the worst areas of the city...so, assuming one had a reason to actually stay in Downtown LA (or one of these other godforsaken areas)--which I completely recommend against, or if one came in on Amtrak, then, yes, one might have the opportunity to ride this bus--and one had better make sure to get on the right bus...

But, you might feel ill at ease trying to schlepp your luggage onto it...and expect looks of disdain from the locals who use this bus as their mode of transportation to get to and from work. 

 

I'm not sure the why is important or even the where - it was just another data point to say that walking in from the street is allowed as the OP was concerned that they might be required to be in some sort of vehicle to enter the cruise port.

 

The rest of your rant is not worthy of a response except I'll point out that the Silver Line buses run on the Harbor Freeway, not on city streets, through the areas you think are so bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines ‚ÄúA ‚Äď O‚ÄĚ
      • Cruise Lines ‚ÄúP ‚Äď Z‚ÄĚ
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...