Dress Code for Taste (MDR)

One of the people I travel with is very uncomfortable about smarter clothing and usually wears cargo trousers and t-shirts with hoodies.

Nothing is baggy/ripped or messy and he always looks good and clean. Is he okay to dress like this for Taste? I know he wouldnt be able to eat in Manhattan Room

This is for the Epic btw

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

One of the people I travel with is very uncomfortable about smarter clothing and usually wears cargo trousers and t-shirts with hoodies.

Nothing is baggy/ripped or messy and he always looks good and clean. Is he okay to dress like this for Taste? I know he wouldnt be able to eat in Manhattan Room

This is for the Epic btw

Swap a polo shirt for the T-shirt and it will be fine.

• Like 2

Dress in Taste is casual. My DH usually wears sandals, cargo shorts, and a casual t-shirt. There are plenty of other people in similar attire and no one has given him a second look. Your friend should be fine. 

• Like 2

A COLLAR on a shirt is the tie breaker between (beach) "T" shirt casual

and Smart Polo shirt casual.

That noted it is NCL's rule to enforce however it is interpreted.

Applies to one of the MDRs and one or more of the Specialty restaurants -

so there are plenty of other dining sources to flaunt the dress code.

• Like 2

Thanks all. He doesn't really wear collared shirts or polos. T-shirts are all smart and nice though, I'm sure he'll be fine 🙂 I don't think Manhattan club is all that our thing anyway. May get him to bring a shirt in case we go to specialty dining though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Thanks all. He doesn't really wear collared shirts or polos. T-shirts are all smart and nice though, I'm sure he'll be fine 🙂 I don't think Manhattan club is all that our thing anyway. May get him to bring a shirt in case we go to specialty dining though.

You can wear a t-shirt in specialty dining. The only ones where a collared shirt would be required is Le Birstro and Ocean Blue, but I don’t believe Ocean Blue is on the Epic. 

The thing I love the most about NCL is the relaxed attire and how down to earth everyone is. I dress up every day for work so the last thing I want to do is dress up on vacation. Long sleeved shirts are annoying to begin with and then add in then Caribbean heat and it’s super annoying. Not to mention I wear my clothes with a very slim cut so even 5 pounds gained results in a deal breaker for me. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

This is for the Epic btw

Shorts and a polo shirt are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamo (except if you are on the Epic where it is Le Bistro and and the Manhattan Room). 

Casual is what NCL is all about. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Dress in Taste is casual. My DH usually wears sandals, cargo shorts, and a casual t-shirt. There are plenty of other people in similar attire and no one has given him a second look. Your friend should be fine. 

On one NCL cruise i was not allowed in Mdr wearing thongs.

Was told men have to wear closed toe shoes🤔

9 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

On one NCL cruise i was not allowed in Mdr wearing thongs.

Was told men have to wear closed toe shoes🤔

I’ve been on more than 20 NCL cruises and wear sandals in the MDR all the time, breakfast lunch and dinner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

I’ve been on more than 20 NCL cruises and wear sandals in the MDR all the time, breakfast lunch and dinner.

they didnt say anything to you but they did to me

Just sharing my experience

It was on the POA  Oct 29th 2011 1st cruise on Ncl

Didnt stop us from doing a bunch since with them

This is from NCL website thou

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Edited by jonbgd
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

This is from NCL website thou

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

My DH doesn't wear flip flops to the MDR but he does wear leather walking sandals. It certainly doesn't say anywhere that closed toe shoes are required, not just flip flops. 

2 hours ago, jonbgd said:

It is also a 11 year old data point. NCL continues to be come more casual over time. 

17 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

This is for the Epic btw

I did not know that clothing had degrees of intelligence.  I have always worn jeans and a t-shirt and my IQ is in the 140s.  I never had any issues with my clothing in any dining facility (from the buffet to the Haven) on any NCL ship.  He will be OK anywhere.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I did not know that clothing had degrees of intelligence.  I have always worn jeans and a t-shirt and my IQ is in the 140s.  I never had any issues with my clothing in any dining facility (from the buffet to the Haven) on any NCL ship.  He will be OK anywhere.

smarter as in "Smart Casual"

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

This is for the Epic btw

He will be fine in the Manhattan Room also. The only thing I ever saw anyone turned away for was shorts. As long as they are long pants in Le Bistro, Cagney's and Manhattan they will be fine. We always dress a little smarter in those restaurants because we feel it fits the setting, but that is our choice.

10 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

10 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Do you mean JOCKEY shirt or some sort of shirt with a joke on it??

🤡

• Like 1

Also depends where you are cruising, a lot of the responses you are getting here are from people who just do Caribbean cruises. When we did our Med cruise you would stick out like with flip flops and cargo shorts at dinner, most passengers were dressed smart during dinner hours. 

• Like 1

whichever restaurant we go to on board, i'm always in blue jeans and tennis shoes. mostly nice t-shirts, but sometimes i splurge and put on a long sleeve collared button up shirt. 

since they push "freestyle" i'm going "freestyle"