Downshift and world cruise 2025

CptBoatface

3 hours ago, BVILady said:

Heidi having been a (small) boat owner for a relatively short time I learned fast how much cheaper it is just to charter or in this case book a cruise. But I am limited financially so not in the same bracket. I used to have a very wealthy friend who kept a yacht in the Med. He was a golfer and not a sailor so didn't really use it a lot. So one time he decides to use it in Marbella and brings along a few friends and it breaks down, he was not very happy even money wasn't really an object, it was the change of plans forced onto him he did not appreciate.  I was pregnant during the time we owned our 2 boats, a small motor-boat and a 16 foot racing sail-boat, so didn't really go out. I think every trip on these boats must have ended up costing me about $ 2000 - even small boats cost a fortune on insurance. Lesson learned. I also live right on the ocean, Atlantic-side with surf in winter, so very familiar with maintenance expenses when you are exposed to sea-air. But nevertheless would love to cruise on My World or the new one, just not in my budget.

Every boat owner should receive a definition of "Boat" before making a purchase - a hole in the ocean through which to pour copious quantities of money. When increasing size to a ship, the hole is way bigger and the amount of money increases exponentially.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2021 at 6:41 PM, Heidi13 said:

Every boat owner should receive a definition of "Boat" before making a purchase - a hole in the ocean through which to pour copious quantities of money. When increasing size to a ship, the hole is way bigger and the amount of money increases exponentially.

Having lived on a boat for 7 years we are well ready, like Andy, to let someone else do it.  My DW still rags me about me telling her "how cheap" it would be to live on a boat..... And after a 15 year career working at sea you would think I should know better...

• Haha 1

I think the saying goes, if it flies, floats or <fcks>, you're better off renting it. 

A friend of mine was looking at private jet options and he came to a similar conclusion. Buying a spot on a boat makes no sense from a financial perspective and it isn't going to appreciate in value. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 1:34 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

My blog is focused on world cruises, particularly Holland America.   I have a lot of FAQ's and other tips including a detailed section on costs and a total cost calculator  HERE - again geared toward HAL but it can be adapted to other lines

Pete

www.theinsidecabin.com

I have enjoyed your blogs and tips . Since you have taken several World Cruises perhaps you can answer a question - what did you do about your refrigerator/freezer when you were gone so long ? 

24 minutes ago, vslparis said:

I have enjoyed your blogs and tips . Since you have taken several World Cruises perhaps you can answer a question - what did you do about your refrigerator/freezer when you were gone so long ? 

I emptied the refrigerator but left it running.   On my first cruise - I had left one bag of frozen peas and the fridge failed.   It was over 10 years old at the time.  The fridge smelled so bad it I just bought a new one.   I may empty the fridge in the future and turn it off and leave the door cracked....

You can buy freezer alarms that would send you an email if the fridge fails- then assuming you have a trusted neighbor - they could empty the fridge - but probably easier to just empty it yourself in advance. 

7 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I emptied the refrigerator but left it running.   On my first cruise - I had left one bag of frozen peas and the fridge failed.   It was over 10 years old at the time.  The fridge smelled so bad it I just bought a new one.   I may empty the fridge in the future and turn it off and leave the door cracked....

You can buy freezer alarms that would send you an email if the fridge fails- then assuming you have a trusted neighbor - they could empty the fridge - but probably easier to just empty it yourself in advance. 

Thanks.  That is what I thought but wanted to hear from someone that has done this a few times.  We have a side by side that is smaller than average as we needed a shallow depth for our condo but the freezer still is pretty full ! Not too worried about emptying out the fridge, but doing the freezer is going to take planning.  If not our son that lives close by will be getting a large care package 😁

On 10/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, vslparis said:

Not too worried about emptying out the fridge, but doing the freezer is going to take planning

I have never emptied the refrigerator when I am gone for a long time.  I use up all of the products that would be of poor quality or spoiled when I return before I leave.  Jars/bottles of other products, such as salad dressings, beer/wine, soft drinks, condiments, etc., I leave them in the appliance and have never had any issues using them again 4+ months later.  The freezer, I do use all of the stuff that is in there before I leave.  Yes, it does take a bit of planning.

I also will put a partial loaf of bread in the refrigerator on the morning I leave so that when I return, I will have something to eat for breakfast that first morning home.  Mold has not been an issue; the bread makes satisfactory toast.  

Some mechanic might disagree but in the 35 years managing a Hotel I learned fast not to turn off refrigerators and freezers. We used to close the restaurant in the off-season for 2 month and turned the refrigerator's and freezers off. When we were ready to re-open and turn them back on we used to have costly problems with these appliances. So learned from experience.

• Like 5

On 10/9/2021 at 1:02 PM, vslparis said:

We have been gone for 6 months and remove all persihables. We keep the fridge/freezer running, but may adjust the temperature somewhat, so they aren't as cold.

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We have been gone for 6 months and remove all persihables. We keep the fridge/freezer running, but may adjust the temperature somewhat, so they aren't as cold.

That is what we plan to do.   As you and others  have done, we will leave the unit on, just perhaps with a lower temperature. Only 89 days left to work through what is in that freezer ! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 4:02 PM, CptBoatface said:

We are a couple 53 me and spouse 46. I'm closing in on an early retirement or a downshift when I hit a certain date in late 2024.   Last year has made it clear we need to do the things we want to rather than staying on the hamster wheel indefinitely.  We've budgeted, but it is still intimidating, as we are very middle class.

Wow.  Lots of people very similar to ourselves.  I'm 53 and my wife and we first both retired from the Army in 2014 and then screwed up retirement by going back to work.  This August we are planning to retire for good.

While most of our investments are not touchable without penalty until we are 59 1/2, we understood how evil a foe time can be and wanted to make sure we fulfill our goal of a WC when we were still in good health.  Aging parents also came into the decision.  

So for us, cost was a major reason we selected our 2023 world cruise.  In our 60s, we'll have quite a bit more disposable income, but no one can guarantee good health.  I think you are making a very good decision.  

• Like 4

On 5/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, CptBoatface said:

We are a couple 53 me and spouse 46. I'm closing in on an early retirement or a downshift when I hit a certain date in late 2024.   Last year has made it clear we need to do the things we want to rather than staying on the hamster wheel indefinitely.  We've budgeted, but it is still intimidating, as we are very middle class. Looking at Crystal and Oceania due to a comparison of what is offered vs other lines. We also like HAL, but I like the idea of paying once for the majority of the costs.  Does this sound like a good idea?

If you do consider what you are spending and depending what your requirements are you might like me decide more on an "A-la-carte" approach. The Inside Cabin has a cruise calculator on their website. I have done my own calculation and have worked out to do 2 fully paid-up cruises for the price of one with Oceania or Viking, so including the excursions I am interested in, laundry, drinks and insurance. And I have not been shy with calculating for the excursions, I have budgeted an average of $ 150.00 per day and have seen on excursions previously offered on the 22 WC, which had been cancelled, that that will easily cover what I want to do, most of them were $ 100 or less. And I will paying for the excursions I do want to do, not for the one's the cruise-line decides to include. Since I do my air-fare on credit card points, I will not need to have it included in my all-inclusive trip and my 2 World cruises do include a drink-package (many WC's do) which is sufficient for me, whatever extra drinks I will have will not break the bank and are included in my calculations already. Cappuccino's will be a large point! Luggage forward will be $ 300 each suitcase each way, so no reason to change cruise-lines for. Cruising solo I will be hit with a high single-supplement, so might be different for you as a couple but I doubt it. Again the Cruise line I am booked with is not so high with the single-supplement. And having booked early, 2023 when it was first released and 2024 in June 2020 for planned 2022 which had been cancelled and reservation forwarded to 2024 without any additional cost my base fare is very reasonable (checking yesterday my savings are already $ 1500 and $ 5500 just on the base-fare - premium not basic). And I have cruised several times with the Cruise-line I am booked on and have cruised several times on Princess, HAL, P&O and several smaller lines, so I know what my money will provide and I am happy with it and the fare and itinerary had been the deciding factor. Will be missing out on HAL's Amazon but sometime in the future 🙂

Life is too short and we're ok with this being perhaps our biggest non home expenditure ever. We live very modestly normally. We are going to use that calculator (thank you insidecabin) we have not ruled out HAL either. Kinda like the idea of Hawaii to Singapore, then Singapore to the end of the 2024 world cruise as segments. I think this would work. But the Admiral doesn't like it

9 hours ago, BVILady said:

If you do consider what you are spending and depending what your requirements are you might like me decide more on an "A-la-carte" approach. The Inside Cabin has a cruise calculator on their website. I have done my own calculation and have worked out to do 2 fully paid-up cruises for the price of one with Oceania or Viking, so including the excursions I am interested in, laundry, drinks and insurance. And I have not been shy with calculating for the excursions, I have budgeted an average of $ 150.00 per day and have seen on excursions previously offered on the 22 WC, which had been cancelled, that that will easily cover what I want to do, most of them were $ 100 or less. And I will paying for the excursions I do want to do, not for the one's the cruise-line decides to include. Since I do my air-fare on credit card points, I will not need to have it included in my all-inclusive trip and my 2 World cruises do include a drink-package (many WC's do) which is sufficient for me, whatever extra drinks I will have will not break the bank and are included in my calculations already. Cappuccino's will be a large point! Luggage forward will be $ 300 each suitcase each way, so no reason to change cruise-lines for. Cruising solo I will be hit with a high single-supplement, so might be different for you as a couple but I doubt it. Again the Cruise line I am booked with is not so high with the single-supplement. And having booked early, 2023 when it was first released and 2024 in June 2020 for planned 2022 which had been cancelled and reservation forwarded to 2024 without any additional cost my base fare is very reasonable (checking yesterday my savings are already $ 1500 and $ 5500 just on the base-fare - premium not basic). And I have cruised several times with the Cruise-line I am booked on and have cruised several times on Princess, HAL, P&O and several smaller lines, so I know what my money will provide and I am happy with it and the fare and itinerary had been the deciding factor. Will be missing out on HAL's Amazon but sometime in the future 🙂

Congratulations on being able to book 2 WC's on a mainstream mega ship cruise line compared to either Viking or Oceania. However, I'll suggest this is as a result of your specific cruising style and situation and will not be realised by all.

I'll suggest that as a single pax, a significant portion of the price differential is the delta in single supplement charged by the cruise lines. Viking World cruises sell out quickly, without the need for segments, so the cruise line has no incentive to reduce the cabin revenue for single pax. Since the cruise is all-inclusive, the onboard revenue per pax is minimal, so they must fill the cabins to meet revenue projections.

Mainstream mega lines make significant revenue from pax once onboard, often more than is actually paid in cruise fare. Therefore, they have incentive to provide reduced single supplements in the hope the OBS will more than make up for the fare reduction. I'm also not aware of any of the mainstream line that can sell a WC without segments, so they are always trying to fill the ship, on 1 or more segments.

To provide some balance to your reports, I can provide a comparison from the 2 WC's we have actually completed. Our first WC was on Princess and our 2nd was on Viking Ocean. Based on our cruising style, the total daily cost (door to door) of the Princess cruise was slightly MORE expensive than Viking. Notes:

• Viking's base fare was almost double that of Princess
  • Viking cruise was 5-yrs after the Princess cruise
  • Cabins were both m'ship, lower deck balcony, with Viking cabin being about 50% bigger

From a quality perspective, the Princess WC was about the equivalent of being on an old Tramp Ship.

Andy and Judy; By now it is perfectly clear that we have two different cruising styles. So might have the author of this post that was the reason for my post. I cruise to see the world. If you are happy with the 1-3 hours excursions included in your fare, very good for you. Meanwhile I would have to spend additional money to pay for the excursions I really want to take. Paying a much lower base-fare allows me to book any excursion I want without any second thoughts. As I have previously mentioned I don't drink much, so having a certain amount of money calculated for drinks every day would be much to much for me. Have lived for 35 years being able to drink anything I wanted for free, so know it doesn't interest me.

A-la-Carte is just perfect for me.

We are really quite different, I prefer to be  placed higher up preferable 2 decks below the pool and the spa, also mid-ship but closer to the back, which I have gotten. Have further to go to Main-Dining, Theater and to exit but no problem with the additional exercise.

My cruises are sold without segments and I had actually hoped that my son would be able to go for the Africa portion on my 2023 WC, but was told there is not much hope that they will have availability close to the sailing-date for segments. By the way got an e-mail from a cruise-TA, Oceania is up to 80 % discounted right now, apparently the WC was something like 63 %. Viking is also discounted can't recall the %. Just looked at the e-mail,  didn't check into the details.

As I can see you are happy with your choice as I am happy with mine. There is a market for your style and for mine. Have never had a bad day on any of the "Tramp ships" I have been on. The only time I did not fully enjoy my 1 week cruise was on a smaller Greek ship, due to limited shaded area by the pool that is why I am happier on a ship with 2000+ passengers.

Being European I love the cruise-line I am on, but do not push it since I know most American's might not like the mix of different Nationalities but prefer everybody to speak English.

So again enjoy your cruise, I know I will mine - can't wait.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, CptBoatface said:

Life is too short and we're ok with this being perhaps our biggest non home expenditure ever. We live very modestly normally. We are going to use that calculator (thank you insidecabin) we have not ruled out HAL either. Kinda like the idea of Hawaii to Singapore, then Singapore to the end of the 2024 world cruise as segments. I think this would work. But the Admiral doesn't like it

I used insidecabin's calculator and I'd say it was pretty spot on.  He has done excellent work with it.  kudo's 

• Thanks 1