Sky Suite Personal Butler

ScottC4746

43 minutes ago, snyderc635 said:

I know this has been asked and answered, but if you prepay gratuities, does it include for the butler?  

Their tips are included, that is one reason why the gratuity is higher for suites.   I think it amounts to $5/day pp 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, miched said:

Their tips are included, that is one reason why the gratuity is higher for suites.   I think it amounts to $5/day pp 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Correct and to add to that the standard tipping whether prepaid or not includes the butler.  

18 hours ago, TFree said:

It does.  Really nice idea.  Maybe somebody on this board will know the answer, or have contact with a butler and could ask.

Tom & Judy

I am thinking I will be able to get a few folks to "spy" for me when cruises start up again. Mine isn't until 2022 so I have plenty of time. 😃 

5 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The daily gratuity in a Suite is $19 pp pd, $3.00 more than the gratuity in Aqua, it would seem the Butler gets &3.00 pp pd.

19 hours ago, Lunesse said:

I am a metalsmith, and I was thinking about a gift to give at the end of the cruise, I read a thread about ways to thank a butler or steward, and cufflinks are the rare sort of men's jewelry I could make as a thank you. Our upcoming cruise will be my first experience with a butler, who knows if I ever will again, so... for me it's a relatively easy and heartfelt way to say thanks.... if they wear them. 

I know, it sounds SO random. 😃 Hope that demystified it. 

What a great idea! And yes, a few of us wondered, but I thought this might be the case. I’ll keep an eye out for the answer. A personal set of cuff links would be very special. I usually add money so they can use it for family and so on, but this is a great idea! I started thinking that since I only wear French cuff shirts rarely now that Tux are minimized, I thought Id bring a nice set as a gift, but your idea is so much better. 

Den

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 10:29 AM, LGW59 said:

Sorry but there is no way the Celebrity rep told you that the butlers are a 1:1 ratio.  I know we can get different answers to the same question but this one just does not compute

Perhaps in the Penthouse.  But not even in the royal suites or below.  Our butler served us breakfast in our suite, offered but didn't, pack or unpack- some help with birthday/anniversary decor and special treats,   some are much better then others- some do nothing and it is reflected in their gratuity.  I have always found the suite lounge aka/michael's club concierge to be very helpful.  Sorry that the new design of the lounge has removed a comfortable setting for the suite lounge concierge to be so unfriendly now.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Sorry that the new design of the lounge has removed a comfortable setting for the suite lounge concierge to be so unfriendly now.

On "M" class they still have a desk so it makes a comfortable place for them to work and have a place for them to work with clients to make arrangements or solve problems.

On Equinox the removed the desk and there was just a podium.  I think they had to go elsewhere for access to a computer.  It didn't look comfortable for them and certainly wasn't guest friendly.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

On "M" class they still have a desk so it makes a comfortable place for them to work and have a place for them to work with clients to make arrangements or solve problems.

On Equinox the removed the desk and there was just a podium.  I think they had to go elsewhere for access to a computer.  It didn't look comfortable for them and certainly wasn't guest friendly.

Agree.  m class will renovate to the new style probably soon.  Yuk

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Just another idiot example of Hoppen form over function stupidity.  Why should the concierge have a comfortable place to talk with clients about their needs?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Perhaps in the Penthouse.  But not even in the royal suites or below.  Our butler served us breakfast in our suite, offered but didn't, pack or unpack- some help with birthday/anniversary decor and special treats,   some are much better then others- some do nothing and it is reflected in their gratuity.  I have always found the suite lounge aka/michael's club concierge to be very helpful.  Sorry that the new design of the lounge has removed a comfortable setting for the suite lounge concierge to be so unfriendly now.  

I can assure you that the butlers who serve the PH also have other cabins to service.

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Just another idiot example of Hoppen form over function stupidity.  Why should the concierge have a comfortable place to talk with clients about their needs?

Imo, this was not Kelly Hoppen's idea.

On the Edge Inaugural cruise, there was a round table with several chairs close to the bathroom in the Retreat where the Concierges sat with their laptops and assisted guests. They were not visible to guests when they entered due to the location. On our second cruise on Edge 6 months later a podium was added directly across from the Retreat entrance where one Concierge stood and greeted and assisted guests as they came in. This was good and bad idea at the same time. An older couple from one of the upper suites decided to play cards for hours every day at a table directly next to the podium. They acted as if no one else was in the Retreat with them, speaking to each other in rather loud voices. And there was no privacy whatsoever for anyone trying to speak “privately” to the Concierge as the man at the table listened to every conversation.

Imo, X placed the podium across from the entrance so that the Concierges could be seen and recognize guests as they entered, but it really needs to be moved. There were times when many guests came in for assistance at the same time and ended up forming a line that would extend all the way to the entrance. I'm hoping X will have fixed this problem on Apex and Beyond.

23 hours ago, Denny01 said:

What a great idea! And yes, a few of us wondered, but I thought this might be the case. I’ll keep an eye out for the answer. A personal set of cuff links would be very special. I usually add money so they can use it for family and so on, but this is a great idea! I started thinking that since I only wear French cuff shirts rarely now that Tux are minimized, I thought Id bring a nice set as a gift, but your idea is so much better. 

Den

Just remember that they are women butlers also.

While there is not a dedicated butler for the PS I can assure you that my 4 sailings in an M class PS have been fantastic experiences.  We are absolutely not high maintenance but did ask for an 11am birthday celebration in the suite.  Wow!  Beautiful decorations, the Butler found a way to find out what kind of cake the birthday girl, who was staying in a Royal suite, liked.  A beautiful cake and mimosas and many trays of her favorite foods appeared for the 11 guests.  3 of my PS sailings have been with a butler named Cesar.  I know that if someday I ever see him again my cruise will be awesome.  Have 2 future cruises booked in the M class PS and one booked in an S class PS.  The verandah on the S class suite is very disappointing after experiencing the M class PS.  Just hoping to hit the jackpot and see Cesar on my 11 night in November.  Well, maybe 11 nights in November will be jackpot enough.  Here’s to hoping so!

The gloom and doom about the Kelly Hoppen revolution has been too dramatic by some on these boards. I for one will just be a “Happy Cruiser” to sail again.  Yes, there have been some big misses that are being rectified.  I found that some seats in the retreat lounge were very uncomfortable.  I found another seat.  No big deal.  I met with the concierge at her desk.  No big problem.  I met with a future cruise consultant on a sofa and side chair with a coffee table in front of it.  Very nice.

I think people should probably sail on a revolutionized ship before lobbing so many negative comments or perhaps move on to another cruise line that better meets their expectations with respect to decor and comfort.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

One is not precluded from enjoying the rest of the ship by being in MSC Yacht Club.  Personally, I find the rest of the ship to be chaotic, crowded, and overrun with screaming children.  But Yacht Club remains quiet and peaceful precisely because access is restricted.  To me it's not a question of class but a question of being willing to pay more for a better experience.

I totally agree. We only ventured outside of Yacht Club on a shore day when most everyone was off the ship. Otherwise, it is just too crowded and noisy.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:44 PM, Denny01 said:

Den

Well, if I had some cufflinks of my own that didn't get used, that's a great way to make sure they have new adventures! I think that is a great idea, too! If you happen to notice, do let me know! Hope I didn't drift too far off course of the original topic of this thread. 😃

18 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I totally agree. We only ventured outside of Yacht Club on a shore day when most everyone was off the ship. Otherwise, it is just too crowded and noisy.

That doesn't sound like a luxury cruise to me being clustered behind a restricted access area away from the peons.

1 hour ago, PSU said:

Just remember that they are women butlers also.

Indeed! Excellent point! I don't know what they wear. But a woman can be a lot easier to bring a thank you piece of jewelry for, and I can and will  bring along a piece of other jewelry as the possible gift for them, and will do so!  I can't resist offering a little sparkle when it's what my primary work is. ❤️ 

29 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Yup, that's the only time I ventured out as well.  Easy, as I don't get off the ship except at the private island.

8 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

That doesn't sound like a luxury cruise to me being clustered behind a restricted access area away from the peons.

Ahh, but it is so restful. Every evening they had a pianist or violins during happy hour. 

1 hour ago, goldsmip115 said:

While there is not a dedicated butler for the PS I can assure you that my 4 sailings in an M class PS have been fantastic experiences.  We are absolutely not high maintenance but did ask for an 11am birthday celebration in the suite.  Wow!  Beautiful decorations, the Butler found a way to find out what kind of cake the birthday girl, who was staying in a Royal suite, liked.  A beautiful cake and mimosas and many trays of her favorite foods appeared for the 11 guests.  3 of my PS sailings have been with a butler named Cesar.  I know that if someday I ever see him again my cruise will be awesome.  Have 2 future cruises booked in the M class PS and one booked in an S class PS.  The verandah on the S class suite is very disappointing after experiencing the M class PS.  Just hoping to hit the jackpot and see Cesar on my 11 night in November.  Well, maybe 11 nights in November will be jackpot enough.  Here’s to hoping so!

The gloom and doom about the Kelly Hoppen revolution has been too dramatic by some on these boards. I for one will just be a “Happy Cruiser” to sail again.  Yes, there have been some big misses that are being rectified.  I found that some seats in the retreat lounge were very uncomfortable.  I found another seat.  No big deal.  I met with the concierge at her desk.  No big problem.  I met with a future cruise consultant on a sofa and side chair with a coffee table in front of it.  Very nice.

I think people should probably sail on a revolutionized ship before lobbing so many negative comments or perhaps move on to another cruise line that better meets their expectations with respect to decor and comfort.

I've always had excellent service from the butler in the PH as well as the times I have sailed in other suites.

As to Ms. Hoppen's revisions, all are entitled to their opinion.  And some of us who find them terrible have sailed on revolutionized ships.  And have future cruises booked on same.

• Like 1