What is a good layover time in LAX before flying to PPT from Seattle?

Hi, my husband and I are trying to plan a Windstar cruise to Tahiti.  We will be flying from Seattle to PPT.  I am looking at Air Tahiti Nui flights from LAX to PPT.  What is a SAFE layover time in LAX in order to get our luggage off the Seattle to LAX flight and then to the Air Tahiti Nui flight to PPT?

Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂

9 minutes ago, travelovingnurse said:

Hi, my husband and I are trying to plan a Windstar cruise to Tahiti.  We will be flying from Seattle to PPT.  I am looking at Air Tahiti Nui flights from LAX to PPT.  What is a SAFE layover time in LAX in order to get our luggage off the Seattle to LAX flight and then to the Air Tahiti Nui flight to PPT?

Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂

If you fly American from Seattle and book the ATN code share under American at the same time they will tag your bags straight through to PPT if you ask. Any other airline and you will need to grab your bags and go through security again plus check you bags again. If that is the case figure a minimum of 3.5 hours at LAX to be on the safe side. 

Also American allows you to use the tunnels and over head to get to the International terminal which saves a bunch of time. 

Just now, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

If you fly American from Seattle and book the ATN code share under American at the same time they will tag your bags straight through to PPT if you ask. Any other airline and you will need to grab your bags and go through security again plus check you bags again. If that is the case figure a minimum of 3.5 hours at LAX to be on the safe side. 

Also American allows you to use the tunnels and over head to get to the International terminal which saves a bunch of time. 

Thank you!  Showing my ignorance, but what does "an ATN code share under American" mean?  

Also, we are now considering the 10/28/21 Wind Spirit cruise due to vacation approval at work, but I read that November is rainy season and cyclone season.  I do not want to go to Tahiti during the rainy or cyclone season.  Any advice about November weather?  

Thanks so much!

19 minutes ago, travelovingnurse said:

Thank you!  Showing my ignorance, but what does "an ATN code share under American" mean?  

Also, we are now considering the 10/28/21 Wind Spirit cruise due to vacation approval at work, but I read that November is rainy season and cyclone season.  I do not want to go to Tahiti during the rainy or cyclone season.  Any advice about November weather?  

Thanks so much!

Rainy season is late December - the end of February. November is usually no problem.

You book American to Tahiti from Seattle. the LAX-PPT will be on Air Tahiti Nui as a code share.

7 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Rainy season is late December - the end of February. November is usually no problem.

You book American to Tahiti from Seattle. the LAX-PPT will be on Air Tahiti Nui as a code share.

Thanks so much!  That's a relief!

• Like 1

Although you may be able to check your bags through I think you will have to exit security when you arrive and then walk to the International Terminal and check in again.  Although there is a tunnel which connects some of arrival terminals directly into the International Terminal (this bypasses another security check) I think you will have to go to the ATN counter which is outside of security.  With the new rules regarding showing proof of vaccination, etc. I can't see any other way to do this other than going to the counter which is outside of security.

IMHO 4 hours is more than enough time (more doesn't really accomplish anything as the ATN counter opens 3.5-4 hours prior to the flight.

• Like 1

@travelovingnurse

I agree with everyone else. I'm most comfortable with 4 hours. Check in and have time for a nice meal close to the gate. Love the Mexican restaurant there. Visit Victoria's Secret.

Sailed Wind Spirit 18 day 2 years ago in Nov/Dec. The weather was spectacular and we only had one day of rain. You can choose according to the weather predictions but sometimes that means nothing. There was someone on the WS board who did a 10 day in August about 2 years ago. It was rainy/stormy everyday and August is predictably one of the best months to visit. We've been lucky every time we've visited, but one of these cruises the rain is going to blast us.

I keep fingers crossed the whole month before we cruise, and though I'm not religious I pray to the saint of the impossible. 😉

I'm a travelovingnurse too.