Silver Muse Recollections

sail1658

I can't believe it's nearly two years since we sailed on our last Silver Spirit cruise in 2019, and three years since our Silver Muse cruise. So to keep our cruise memories alive I've been re-editing my cruise videos and posting them on YouTube.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbYW-Y1IjRSD9MECilTBG5A

Silver Muse was our best ever cruise - Rome to Venice via Sorrento, Taormina and Dubrovnik, with a pre-cruise stay in Rome and post-cruise stay in Venice.

The ship and staff were amazing, and especially so as we'd booked a cruise on Silver Spirit for April 2018 which was sadly cancelled due to the extended dry-dock so that it could be cut in half and lengthened, and this was its replacement booking.  

A stand-out memory was one evening in La Terrazza whilst anchored off Sorrento. It was one of the most magical evening meals ever. We dined outside on a warm balmy evening, with a spectacular sunset, excellent service, food and wine. The evening ended with fireworks over Sorrento after dinner. We thought we were in an advertisement for the Italian Tourist Board and Silversea!  It could only have been topped if Andrea Bocelli had serenaded us at the table and George Clooney had brought the coffee!

I can't wait to make more cruising memories, hopefully on Silver Moon or Silver Dawn. 

I've just posted Part 1 Pre- cruise stay in Rome and Part 2 sailing from Civitavecchia of this cruise with more to follow. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

I so miss being on the water...

Hi Lois, Thanks for your comment. We feel the same as you, and we look forward to hearing your thoughts on Silver Moon which we hope to sail on in the future.

9 hours ago, sail1658 said:

Hi Lois, Thanks for your comment. We feel the same as you, and we look forward to hearing your thoughts on Silver Moon which we hope to sail on in the future.

I forgot to say that your hotel looked really lovely.....ISA? I will have to remember that......I want to go back to Italy.   

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

your hotel looked really lovely.....ISA?

Yes. Lois. we loved that hotel. It's in the historic centre of Rome in the Prati district and within walking distance of the Vatican and Piazza Navona. It will definitely be our first choice if we go back to Rome.

For those of you who love Italy, especially Sorrento, I've just posted my Silver Muse video on YouTube of our day in Sorrento. I can honestly say it was our most perfect day on a cruise ship and one of our best memories.

• Like 1

Good morning, WOW😀 awesome fireworks!!!!!!  Thanks again for sharing this with us. I LOVE Sorrento and it definitely brings back memories!  Funny how when traveling, there always seems to be a wedding go on somewhere on the trip.🙂.....it is like, remember that time in ????

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

there always seems to be a wedding go on somewhere on the trip.

Hi Lois,

Yes we always see weddings, especially in Italy, such a romantic place.  Sorrento is one of our favourite places, and we hope to post another of our favourites soon, - Taormina, Sicily, - hopefully next week.

On 5/5/2021 at 3:08 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Sorrento is one of my all time favorite anchored dining ports.  Absolutely love the evening light there and the changing colors of the cliffs.

Super appreciate the fun videos, comments on Sorrento and ALL of the various follow-ups.  YES, that whole Amalfi Coast region is very exciting.  So many wonderful sights, great history, excellent food, nice people, etc. Been fortunate to have visited these areas in 1999 and 2011.   

As to the Silver Muse, two summers ago, we very much enjoyed this nice ship, its very good features, etc.  To add to the sharing on this thread, below are only four quick visual highlights from that sailing, Vancouver up to Alaska.  More visuals from that ship and the sights can be seen on th full live/blog connected below.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Completed 2019 summer with Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

As we did our initial sail-away on the Silver Muse, below is a sampling of the pool decks with the exciting Vancouver skyline in the background.  Second is an overall view of the Silver Muse as we were returning to Juneau's harbor after doing a flight out over the nearby glaciers, doing a wild salmon roast, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

CMB_3723.thumb.jpeg.0363562c608fccc305dc1898331a36e3.jpeg

CMB_4676.thumb.jpeg.fc1f19f5ff253c3897bfef6bebc75972.jpeg

On the Silver Muse, below is one of many excellent dining delights.  This was Beef Wellington.  Second is a sampling of the great, friendly staff on the ship, plus proof that our beverage needs could be satisfied during this adventure sailing.  Nobody could complain about going hungry or thirsty!!:

CMB_4919.thumb.jpeg.5f93922aac188cbc77ee21629510abf0.jpeg

CMB_5937.thumb.jpeg.bf177eefd794504fdd06fc4df5074bed.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

YES, that whole Amalfi Coast region is very exciting.  So many wonderful sights, great history, excellent food, nice people, etc.

Thanks, Terry for your kind comments. We also love this part of Italy, and any part of Italy is our favourite part of the Mediterranean, and we're fortunate to be less than three hours flight away being in the UK. We certainly look forward to revisiting it as soon as possible, hopefully with Silversea, but we just have to live on our memories at present.

We also enjoy following your informative posts on this board - greatly appreciated. 

Sail 1658 Thankyou for your video. I see you were in room 620. We will be on the Spirit in January, and our friends will be in 620. I have forwarded the youtube link to them. I am sure they will enjoy seeing their room.  

27 minutes ago, smilin jack said:

We will be on the Spirit in January, and our friends will be in 620.

Smilin jack, Glad you enjoyed the video, and hope your friends enjoy the preview of Suite 620. We enjoyed it and found that it was in a good position on the ship,  with no noise. It was handy for Dolce Vita Lounge on Deck 5 and La Terrazza on Deck 7 for breakfast and lunch. Wish we were there now! Hope you all enjoy your January cruise.

sail1658...

Just so you know, we have four other couples sailing with us. I sent an email with all your videos of the Spirit to them. They were a hit! One couple will be in the Grand Suite, and wished they could of seen a video of it....said they made wonderful night of viewing your videos! 

51 minutes ago, Lois R said:

more videos please😀

Hi Lois

It's nice to be appreciated and have requests like this!  I only started it as an exercise to keep the memories alive until we can get back on board, and it saves me searching out my DVDs!

Just finalising the next video of our morning in Taormina and afternoon on board with evening deck party. Should be online by Tuesday.

After that it'll be Ajaccio, Corsica, Dubrovnik and Cavtat, and finally Venice. 

1 hour ago, smilin jack said:

said they made wonderful night of viewing your videos

Hi smilin jack, I'm amazed at all these kind comments and as I just said to Lois, it was only a project for myself.  Never dreamed anyone else would be interested!! Only wish we could experience the Grand Suite, we can only dream!

I'm working on Silver Muse now and have three other Silver Spirit cruises to edit, so it'll keep me busy until we can sail again. 

Thanks Sail 1658 for your videos which have helped to keep alive the 22 years of SS cruising and keep hope alive for normality to resume in the cruising world.My personal doubts are because of the world wide nature of the industry and the rules are being applied by all the countries on an individual basis rather than a world wide compromise of the countries relying heavily on income from cruise travel.Really do hope things get going again sooner than my expectations indicate!!

2 hours ago, brimary said:

Really do hope things get going again sooner than my expectations indicate!!

Thanks for this appreciation, Brimary.

We can't wait to cruise as soon as possible when it's feasible and as close as possible to our past experiences of cruising. In the meantime I'm almost ready to post the next Silver Muse video of Taormina. It's kept me occupied and brings back many wonderful memories.  

Next video has now been posted online -  including picturesque streets of Taormina, visit to the ancient Greek amphitheatre with views towards the coast and spectacular smoking cone of Etna. 

• Like 2

OMG😃....THANK YOU AGAIN....oops sorry for yelling........fantastic video🙂........from seeing that photo of Audrey Hepburn to the wonderful outdoor cafes.........loving it all.  You ever notice wherever you go in Europe, the cafes are just part of the fabric....part of the vibrancy of the city.........

And that Festival that was being set up looks pretty cool too.   Every time I watch these it makes me want to go back even more.......

Oh, and of course it looks like you both had a wonderful cruise too.......the food on the ship looks so yummy!😀