FLL to Port of Miami - best strategy?

We're flying into FLL in October day before cruise departing Port of Miami.  Initial thought was rental car, hotel in Miami, drop off car near port next morning and take rental shuttle to ship.  Upon further review, I now see the option to stay at hotel by FLL with free airport shuttle and take a shuttle direct from hotel to Port next morning.  Hotel claims that they have a shuttle for $10 per person from hotel to port of Miami.  Is this the best option?  We fly in late night before, so little time for "sightseeing" prior to cruise.  Thx.

47 minutes ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

We're flying into FLL in October day before cruise departing Port of Miami.  Initial thought was rental car, hotel in Miami, drop off car near port next morning and take rental shuttle to ship.  Upon further review, I now see the option to stay at hotel by FLL with free airport shuttle and take a shuttle direct from hotel to Port next morning.  Hotel claims that they have a shuttle for $10 per person from hotel to port of Miami.Is this the best option?  We fly in late night before, so little time for "sightseeing" prior to cruise.  Thx.

I would say it’s the best and easiest option. We are staying in Fort Lauderdale night before cruise out of Miami. Grab a shuttle the next morning to the POM. Curious, which hotel has the $10.00 shuttle to POM?

1 minute ago, skrufy said:

I would say it’s the best and easiest option. We are staying in Fort Lauderdale night before cruise out of Miami. Grab a shuttle the next morning to the POM. Curious, which hotel has the $10.00 shuttle to POM?

Thanks for responding.  Hyatt House is the one I talked to.   Originally I was thinking of taking the hotel free shuttle back to FLL and then paying NCL $25 to take their bus to the ship.  I called the hotel just to confirm that all would work as planned, and that is when I was told about $10 option direct from hotel.  I'll likely double check (everything) when the cruise is closer.  It's good to have options.  The rental car option moved way back when I found out what my real costs would be.  Also, I like the ease of just taking direct shuttles.  If the $10 isn't the right cost in October, it won't matter.  I go on vacation to relax.  I don't go on vacation to save money.  😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

Thanks for responding.  Hyatt House is the one I talked to.   Originally I was thinking of taking the hotel free shuttle back to FLL and then paying NCL $25 to take their bus to the ship.  I called the hotel just to confirm that all would work as planned, and that is when I was told about $10 option direct from hotel.  I'll likely double check (everything) when the cruise is closer.  It's good to have options.  The rental car option moved way back when I found out what my real costs would be.  Also, I like the ease of just taking direct shuttles.  If the $10 isn't the right cost in October, it won't matter.  I go on vacation to relax.  I don't go on vacation to save money.  😎

The last time I got shuttle quotes the price for a shared shuttle was $15.00 per person from two operators. I would quess with the price of gas going up the cost of the shuttle will also go up.

Captain - I would make another call to the Hyatt House to confirm that price.  I don't want you to be surprised if you get there and they say that is the price for the shuttle to Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale), not Miami!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Captain - I would make another call to the Hyatt House to confirm that price.  I don't want you to be surprised if you get there and they say that is the price for the shuttle to Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale), not Miami!

Yeah, I confirmed about three times that I was talking about port of Miami.  Like I said, I'll confirm again when it gets closer.

10 minutes ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

Yeah, I confirmed about three times that I was talking about port of Miami.  Like I said, I'll confirm again when it gets closer.

Yikes....the price from that hotel to POM ?!...That's usually the price to Port Everglades.

Best of luck.

Besides shared shuttles that typically cost about $15+ per person between FLL and POM, you can also use Uber or Lyft. Pre-virus fares for UberX were about $35+ 

Have a great cruise! 😎

8 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Besides shared shuttles that typically cost about $15+ per person between FLL and POM, you can also use Uber or Lyft. Pre-virus fares for UberX were about $35+ 

Have a great cruise! 😎

Thanks.  In the grand scheme of things, the costs to get to the POM are meaningless.  I'll do whatever is easiest at a reasonable cost.  Uber may be a non-starter because we will have three people with luggage.  A shuttle will work well and I know I'll get to the right place.

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

Yikes....the price from that hotel to POM ?!...That's usually the price to Port Everglades.

Best of luck.

Yeah, I'm guessing that I was talking to somebody relatively new and since ships aren't sailing right now, they can't really be expected to know everything.  The price is irrelevant.  Whether it's $10, $20, $30 doesn't matter.  Even for three people, it's cheaper/more simple than a rental car, so that's the way we'll play it.  I just want to get back onto a ship!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

Thanks.  In the grand scheme of things, the costs to get to the POM are meaningless.  I'll do whatever is easiest at a reasonable cost.  Uber may be a non-starter because we will have three people with luggage.  A shuttle will work well and I know I'll get to the right place.

Fare for UberXL should be about $70+ - I would pay extra for Uber or Lyft and their door to door service over saving a few $$ with a shared shuttle.  Your call! 😉

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Fare for UberXL should be about $70+ - I would pay extra for Uber or Lyft and their door to door service over saving a few $$ with a shared shuttle.  Your call! 😉

Is UberXL a larger vehicle?  I really don't know anything about Uber.

Just now, CaptainHazelwood said:

Is UberXL a larger vehicle?  I really don't know anything about Uber.

Yes...it is...Google for the specifics that will apply to their vehicles.

24 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yes...it is...Google for the specifics that will apply to their vehicles.

Thanks.  I just did.  $62 UberXL from that hotel to POM, so $20 a person.  I think you're right about that being a good option.  Shared ride vans are fine, but they're usually a milk run (stopping at multiple locations) and many times they are very difficult to get into and out of the back seats.  I'm not as young, flexible or lean as I used to be.  😁

I really need to get "comfortable" with Uber/Lyft, as they appear to be great options for many needs.

Edited by CaptainHazelwood
  • Like 1

Watch a couple of You Tube videos, download the app, and you are off. I compare fares and pick up times between Uber and Lyft.  I have just about given up on taxis since my kids convinced me to make the switch several years ago.

UberXL is typically a larger SUV or a minivan; it should easily accommodate your group and bags, even if someone on your team packs like my wife! 🤪

Thanks.  I played around with Uber a bit yesterday and learned how the fares will vary minute by minute depending upon demand.  The driver's app even has a color coded map showing them where in their areas have the highest demands (and thus the highest fares, which they get a percentage of).  It's really a pretty cool system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a chat with Hyatt at FLL today.  He said they do not do a shuttle to POM.  (Their shuttle to Port Everglades is $7 per person.)

Too bad; we were hoping it was true, too!

SAS is $15 per person (they do pick up at the Hyatt).  Larry's Limos is significantly higher, around $100 per car.

• Like 1