New CDC limitations on cruise ship return to service - as of 5/5/21

srpilo

Published by Cruise Industry News 5/5/21

For cruise lines wanting to operate from a U.S. port, they will need to adhere to a number of new regulations released on Wednesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for ships to sail under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO).

While many cruise lines have already confirmed their buffets are on hold for the time being, the CDC has made it official by now requiring them to eliminate any self-serve food or drink options, such as buffets, salad bars, and drink stations.

The CDC will also require social distancing in all venues onboard and is recommending cruise lines provide alternative meal services options, such as prepackaged grab-and-go meals, for consumption on open decks or in individual cabins to minimize risks associated with congregate indoor dining.

Outdoor lounge seating around the pool will also have a different look, as loungers and chairs will need to be six feet apart, severely limiting outdoor seating space. These items can be grouped together for families and traveling companions, according to the CDC.

The CDC has also said cruise lines must "prohibit self-guided or independent exploration by passengers during port stops. Ensure all shore excursion tour companies facilitate social distancing to allow for at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family, mask wearing, cleaning and disinfection, and other COVID-19 public health measures throughout the tour."

This would require passengers to buy organized tours through the cruise line ahead of time.

Of note, the CDC also said cruise lines should limit shore excursions in foreign ports of call to countries listed as Level 1: COVID-19 Low in CDC’s COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination, which would take a number of Caribbean destinations out of itineraries.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

So, this pertains to cruises leaving or returning to a US port.  I assume that cruises leaving from non-US ports will not have to follow these rules?  Or will they? 

Why do you think things would be dramatically different outside the US?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Why do you think things would be dramatically different outside the US?

The US CDC does not have jurisdiction outside the US.  But I am wondering if the cruise lines would still follow the guidelines.  

• Like 1

I think it is about time to let the adults back in the room.  I don't want government making choices for me. To old for that. Just give me the information so I can make an informed decision. The CDC is ruining the cruise industry with these stupid mandates. To much power and control in the hands of a few.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Wow, if that holds up we aren’t cruising anytime soon.

You can say that again.

On one hand they say that those vaccinated can go without masks outdoors except in large crowds and indoors with other vaccinated people. OTOH, they promulgate these rules designed to make cruises impossible to enjoy.

And I have no problem with the buffet being served instead of self serve, but what does that have to do with Covid, an aerosol spread virus.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You can say that again.

On one hand they say that those vaccinated can go without masks outdoors except in large crowds and indoors with other vaccinated people. OTOH, they promulgate these rules designed to make cruises impossible to enjoy.

And I have no problem with the buffet being served instead of self serve, but what does that have to do with Covid, an aerosol spread virus.

We can stand most anything, even some we consider silly for vaccinated passengers (temp checks, Covid test) but if we can’t get off a ship and wander aimlessly, we ain’t cruising. 

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

The US CDC does not have jurisdiction outside the US.  But I am wondering if the cruise lines would still follow the guidelines.  

I would bet yes, many other foreign agencies will follow the CDCs lead.

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We can stand most anything, even some we consider silly for vaccinated passengers (temp checks, Covid test) but if we can’t get off a ship and wander aimlessly, we ain’t cruising. 

I agree, and I remember wandering with you guys.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ICUQT said:

I think it is about time to let the adults back in the room.  I don't want government making choices for me. To old for that. Just give me the information so I can make an informed decision. The CDC is ruining the cruise industry with these stupid mandates. To much power and control in the hands of a few.

The problem is the adults often make selfish decisions that in this case endanger everyone under the guise of freedom.  Not saying CDC is not committing over reach but relying on individual judgment would be a train wreck.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Indianadaytripper said:

If we didn’t have future cruise credits paying for our next two cruises we wouldn’t be going. 

We are going to look at having ours extended into 2023.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The problem is the adults often make selfish decisions that in this case endanger everyone under the guise of freedom.  Not saying CDC is not committing over reach but relying on individual judgment would be a train wreck.

Yep...remember,  some won't get the shot because it has microchips in it. Others won't get it because it alters your DNA (even the J&J, which isn't MRNA technology). So individual judgement can be a significant threat.

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, ICUQT said:

Cruise operators and passengers did make their own decisions at the beginning of the pandemic, and there were also a few attempts to restart cruising during the pandemic.  The results were disastrous.  Anyone who is not a medical professional trained in the propagation of disease is woefully ill prepared to make an "informed" decision based on a few bits of information from the news media.

In this case the government experts are right and are protecting us.  Let's not be guilty of spiking the football on the ten yard line, as the saying goes....

igraf

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Ditto.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Kirk I agree with you, you can't let everyone do as they please, though times have changed significantly for the good in the last 4 months, and at this time in 2021 anyone can fly elbow to elbow for 6 hour sitting next to a untested stranger, but now the CDC says 2 completely vaccinated cruise passengers still have to sit 6 feet apart outside on a open deck, and we should all eat boxed meals outside or in our cabins? Is that current/future July 2021 thinking or still October 2020 ?

It's been said publicly recently to the CDC (I think you know who said it) - "Either the vaccines work or they don't"

Nothing a 100% safe but we can't all stay stuck in 2020, times have changed !

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, igraf said:

Cruise operators and passengers did make their own decisions at the beginning of the pandemic, and there were also a few attempts to restart cruising during the pandemic.  The results were disastrous.  Anyone who is not a medical professional trained in the propagation of disease is woefully ill prepared to make an "informed" decision based on a few bits of information from the news media.

In this case the government experts are right and are protecting us.  Let's not be guilty of spiking the football on the ten yard line, as the saying goes....

igraf

Hmm, if everyone on the Greece cruises that are HAL’s first have to be vaccinated, then some of the restrictions that CDC are stating seem onerous to me.

No self serve - no big deal.  HAL is pretty much no self serve anyways, but to insist on ship excursions?  And then go back to the ship and not be able to do anything on your own?  IF you’re vaccinated and most likely masked in the port?  That’s a bit much IMO.

A lot of cruises in Europe have been successful and that was pre-vaccine.  The cruises HAL will be starting in Greece will require vaccine.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, srpilo said:

Kirk I agree with you, you can't let everyone do as they please, but times have change significantly in the last 4 months, and at this time in 2021 anyone can fly elbow to elbow for 6 hour sitting next to a untested stranger, but now the CDC says 2 completely vaccinated cruise passengers have to sit 6 feet apart outside on a open deck, and eat boxed meals outside ?? 

It's been said publicly said recently to the CDC (I think you know who said it) - "Either the vaccines work or don't" . Nothing a 100% safe but we can't all stay stuck in 2020 ... 

I agree, to me, on a fully vaccinated cruise, most of these precautions are unnecessary.  He who will not be named is right in that regard, if he would only limit the political rhetoric he would be more effective in convincing others.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Agree on selfish but I question if some of the rules are required if vaccination is required and people need to mask in port.  

No right or wrong answer sadly but common sense has to come into play someplace.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, srpilo said:

The CDC will also require social distancing in all venues onboard and is recommending cruise lines provide alternative meal services options, such as prepackaged grab-and-go meals, for consumption on open decks or in individual cabins to minimize risks associated with congregate indoor dining.

The CDC has also said cruise lines must "prohibit self-guided or independent exploration by passengers during port stops. Ensure all shore excursion tour companies facilitate social distancing to allow for at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family, mask wearing, cleaning and disinfection, and other COVID-19 public health measures throughout the tour."

Eating a pre-packaged meal in my cabin by myself is VERY unappealing.

How does one maintain 6 ft. of distance between passengers on a tour bus or van?

Essentially the CDC has stopped the start-up of cruising, without placing an outright ban on it.  These restrictions have the same effect.  In the meantime, passengers are packed like sardines into planes  but that's OK.  

• Like 9