The Daily for Thursday May 06, 2021

richwmn

Today is Beverage Day, National Tourist Appreciation Day, and National Nurses Day

Character is the ability to carry out a good resolution long after the excitement of the moment has passed. -- Cavett Robert

Meal suggestion for today - Swedish Meatball Pasta

Drink of the Day - Vieux Carré

Wine of the day - Louis Roederer Cristal Brut - France - Sparkling

Port of the Day - Isafjordur Iceland

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/6
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/9
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/8

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Portland UK
Oosterdam

Sea Trials Margh
Rotterdam eta Trieste 5/7

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

0506USA.thumb.png.622d39a184901e529ae4091217fb0ce4.png

0506Europe.thumb.png.8f344f8d95ce508d2d014c4233524bf1.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A big thank you to nurses.  I'll toast them with a nice beverage, right now it's tea, later it will be wine.🙂  Someday, I'll be a tourist again.

Interesting quote.

Thanks for the dinner suggestion, looking for the recipe, it could be dinner tonight in our house.

A drink I've never heard of, so I'm waiting to read the instructions.  The wine sounds good.

We were in Iceland several years ago on the Ryndam.  I'll see if I can find pictures.

Stay safe.

• Like 17

Thank you for the Thursday Daily Rich.  My beverage of choice is probably coffee.  Tourists are finally beginning to re-emerge.  Nurses are true heroes.  Never been to Isafjordur but it looks lovely.  I love the quote.  Swedish Meatball Pasta looks quite nice.  My alternative is Apple and Bacon Pannenkoek, served at the Dutch Cafe on the Pinnacle Class.  I haven't actually had it but had something similar in Amsterdam after disembarking the Nieuw Statendam:

lunch05.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

StLouisCruiser’s sister needing valve surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Getaway for AncientWanderer

Rotterdam back at sea

Nieuw Statendam back at PE Sunday

Second jab for MrBoston

Good oncology result for mamaofami

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

Happy Thursday to all.  Great days to celebrate, but especially the nurses who have been so heroic during this past year with the pandemic.  Back before we knew much about this virus, they were the ones who had to go in and take care of us.  Without our nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists, etc, we wouldn't have tourists emerging.  

Water fitness at 10:00 this morning.  The Thursday instructor is very good.   I enjoy her class.

Today's meal sounds yummy to me.  I'd have to find a substitute for the pasta due to the carb load.  Reviews are good.

https://damndelicious.net/2020/06/22/swedish-meatball-pasta/

Swedish-Meatball-PastaIMG_1300.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  I'll toast with a beverage to celebrate!  Would love to be a tourist again, and a daily salute to nurses.  Great quote.  The meal sounds good, but we had the ziti meatball bake from earlier so not sure what dinner will be tonight.  Have never been to Iceland but look forward to the photos.   Roy's meal looks so delicious, will have to look for it on the Rotterdam in January. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Keep getting your jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Vieux Carre:

Ingredients

Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and fill with ice; stir well for 20 seconds and strain into an ice-filled Old Fashioned glass. Garnish with a cherry

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 6.56.50 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily Rich.  Just reading about beverage day as my coffee was brought to me! I appreciate tourists and also being one. How appropriate that today is national nurses day as my niece has her pinning ceremony this evening at the University of Detroit.  Great quote, character is an intangible asset that can’t be bought. Dinner sounds delicious but so does Roy’s, decisions decisions!  Have a great day everyone, it’s finally sunny here again. 

• Like 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combination of days! I will gladly salute all nurses with a toast today! And I appreciate being a tourist, that is for sure!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. What a great quote! Pass on the meal & drink. And today’s wine is a bit out of my budget. Excited to see pictures of today’s port, since my July trip to Iceland is still on. Next week is “final decision” week, so I am crossing my fingers it is a go. 

My mini getaway reunion was wonderful. It is amazing how one can just pick up where one leaves off with friends. Off to pick up Bindi.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Save this one for a very special occasion. All released vintages have spectacular ratings. You might be able to find a lower price locally, but the lowest price I found for the 2012 vintage is $219.99!
Winemaker notes
2012 was one of the most challenging and complicated years ever experienced in Champagne. However, difficult conditions often lead to great things… The low yields, due to the unpredictable weather, combined with continental conditions towards the end of the season, gave us unusual levels of maturity, resulting in rich, full-bodied and structured wines worthy of the greatest vintages in Champagne.

Rich and complex aromas with notes of zesty and candied fruit (lemon) mingled with pollen (white flowers), roasted hazelnut and Madagascar vanilla. After aeration, the bouquet develops rich notes of fresh pastries and smoky notes from bottle ageing.

A delicious, concentrated and chalky palate. It shows incredible tension and perfectly honed aromatic precision. The attack is powerful, distinctive and concentrated and reveals a silky, mouth-coating texture, characteristic of the ripe Pinot noirs from the 2012 vintage.

JS98 James Suckling: Such attractive, fresh, floral aromas here with fine bread, hints of white almonds and a lemon edge. White cherries and strong, chalky minerals, too. The palate has a very composed feel. Seamless and quite silky texture with effortless length and flow. Very fluid and composed. Very late, warming almond flavors. This is very long and smooth with a velvety finish. Super long pinot weight. Resolved and drinkable, but will age so well.

WE98 Wine Enthusiast: As the first 100% biodynamic Cristal, entirely from Roederer-owned vineyards, this is an important milestone. This latest incarnation is a great Champagne with its density, elegance and poise. Still impressively young, the wine is taut, tightly wound and textured. At the same time, it has pure, ripe white and citrus fruits that are perfumed, and an important part of this wine’s long-term future. Drink at the earliest from 2023. Cellar Selection.

• Like 23

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a great collection of days!  Nurses deserve to be celebrated every day.  They are super heroes!!

034EFA37-1EA0-40A2-9A91-976C7300ABA0.thumb.jpeg.0980f2a5701d25a4100cc92886d52fc2.jpeg

Love Beverage day!  

ECDA9184-40D7-468D-BC8D-E0A246D616C5.jpeg.5ff978f6cc91555476a96eb9516599b3.jpeg

Love the quote by Robert - so true.

We do appreciate our tourists here and look forward to welcoming them back.  Not sure about the recommended meal for the day.  I think it’s time to see what I can dig out of the freezer.

73816EFC-FD70-4759-B8D5-AC5C31086CF3.jpeg.899ab9b1e5ec397bf5108a430e512090.jpeg

Pouring rain here.  I’d love to put all my babies out to be watered but it’s too cold and the rain is a cold one.  Thanks for the champagne description @cat shepard.  That price tag puts it well out of my reach.  

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 for those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 28

Good morning to all.

I’m back.  I had some issues keeping me away from CC.  I got a new computer and had to get it set up.  Then for some reason had major WiFi problems along with other stuff.

I am happy to report that all my problems with the IRS have been resolved to my advantage.  I guess they want to be super careful that you really are who you say you are.

Haven’t been to Iceland and don’t think we will have the dinner suggestion. My plans for dinner tonight is Chicken Piccata.

We are getting ready to take a trip (by car) to Virginia to visit some friends. It is our first time venturing away from home since the pandemic.  A bit nervous but it is time to do something.

It was nice to see that HAL will be starting up with the Eurodam sailing from Greece this summer.

Prayers for all on the cares list and a shout-out to those celebrating.

Stay well and safe everyone and God bless.

Terri

• Like 17

Good  morning  and  thanks  for  the  lists,quote,recipes  and  days . We  always  celebrate  nurses  here as  there  are  5 in  our  family.  Coffee  is  my  beverage  of  choice  and  I  am  excited  to  say  that  hopefully  NYC will  have  tourists  back. They  are  starting  to  sell  tickets  to  some  Broadway  show  today. They  plan  to  open  by  September. It  has  been  so incredibly  uncrowded  in  Manhattan when  we  have  gone  there  in  the  last  4  months. DD  is  able  to  PARK outside  her  office  at  the  tip  of  Manhattan when  she  goes  in  once  or  twice  a  month.

We  visited Isafjodur in 2013 on  the  Veendam  VOV. It  was  just  so  incredibly beautiful.   Terry

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

• Like 23

Good morning!  Thank you to Rich for our Daily today.  I will celebrate Beverage Day with my iced Peach tea later, my usual beverage during the day.  I would certainly appreciate being a tourist again because this staying at home business is for the birds (who were celebrated just this past week).  As for nurses I give a shout out to the nurses who care for my DMIL and DS.  Unfortunately I heard late yesterday that my DS is still in the hospital due to a sudden gastrointestinal upset and her not wanting to eat because of it.  It's still too early this morning in the central time zone to start calling and texting her kids to find out what's happening but I will be doing that in a little bit.  

The meal of the day sounds and looks pretty good.  I doubt that is on our menu tonight, but a big thanks to DH for preparing our Cinco de Mayo enchilada dinner last night.  I have mentioned several times that DH took over chef duties in our household when he retired in late 2008.  He just wanted something to occupy his time and I had no complaints after cooking for the family for 40 years.  I don't know that I'd be able to easily pick up the duties of the decision making and preparation of our meals every day without him.  

Interesting to hear that HAL seems to stop at Isafjordur on the Voyage of the Vikings cruise.  My stop there was in 2015 on the Caribbean Princess on a London to Norway to Iceland to New York Transatlantic cruise.  During that port stop I took a tour that went out into the countryside so I may be able to show some photos from those two villages as well.  Better get on it!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily Rich.  My beverage of choice is probably coffee.  Tourists are finally beginning to re-emerge.  Nurses are true heroes.  Never been to Isafjordur but it looks lovely.  I love the quote.  Swedish Meatball Pasta looks quite nice.  My alternative is Apple and Bacon Pannenkoek, served at the Dutch Cafe on the Pinnacle Class.  I haven't actually had it but had something similar in Amsterdam after disembarking the Nieuw Statendam:

lunch05.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

StLouisCruiser’s sister needing valve surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Getaway for AncientWanderer

Rotterdam back at sea

Nieuw Statendam back at PE Sunday

Second jab for MrBoston

Good oncology result for mamaofami

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the care and shout out list.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  I'll toast with a beverage to celebrate!  Would love to be a tourist again, and a daily salute to nurses.  Great quote.  The meal sounds good, but we had the ziti meatball bake from earlier so not sure what dinner will be tonight.  Have never been to Iceland but look forward to the photos.   Roy's meal looks so delicious, will have to look for it on the Rotterdam in January. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Keep getting your jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Vieux Carre:

Ingredients

Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and fill with ice; stir well for 20 seconds and strain into an ice-filled Old Fashioned glass. Garnish with a cherry

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 6.56.50 AM.png

This is a new one. 

• Like 4

Isafjordur, Iceland (pop. 2748) was an interesting port of call, just like the rest of Iceland.  The word means ice fjord according to my research.  enhance

Being small it's an extremely walkable town.  DH and I took the walk around before I headed out on my tour.  enhance

A good place to stop on this morning was to the bakery to pick up a baked good to enjoy.enhance

A little marketing tool for the bakery was this classic vehicle parked outside the door with some advertising on the side.enhance

It would probably be hard to get lost here, unless you can't speak Icelandic (which I can't).enhance

A church and graveyard.enhance

A statue commemorating fishing.enhance

A building called the Culture House.enhance

We went inside and it was 3 stories tall and had a library and museum.  I took a photo of this description of the building history and usage. enhance

What appears to be local housing as we left the Culture House.enhance

We saw a little park entrance nearby so went to take a look.  Using whalebones as arched entrances is pretty common in these parts, though many of us can recall the whalebone archway in Stanley at the church along the shore as well.enhance

The sign says this is a Catholic church, and if so, it's one of the smallest ones I've ever seen.  enhance

Another bigger church.  With not a lot of activities for residents here maybe churches fill a void in the community for fellowship with others.enhance

I'm glad to see the Fire Department is well represented here.  enhance

That's all for Isafjordur.  In my next post I'll move on to the afternoon tour outside of town.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I will certainly celebrate nurses and all the hard work they have done during this pandemic. Someday, I hope to be a tourist again. 

Thank you Roy for putting me on the celebration list. Yesterday was a good day.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 15

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach ( although storms coming in later)

Nurses are to be truly celebrated, especially this year!  We have several in our family, including myself but I am retired, so no credit for me!

I would love to be a tourist again! Hopefully soon. Would love to have one of those chocolate mint beverages that HAL makes so well!

Have not been to Iceland but it is on my list! So love seeing the pictures.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy today.

• Like 15

Next I'll post some photos from my afternoon tour of the Botanical Garden in Skrudur and a fishing village called Flateyri.  We took a bus to the Garden and along the way saw the typical topography and scenery of this part of Iceland.enhance

enhance

We had to pass through a tunnel in the mountain in order to get to where we were going (and back to the ship later).  The Botanical Garden was founded by a pastor at a boarding school nearby.  It's sometimes called the Botanical Garden in the Middle of Nowhere. It is the northernmost Botanical Garden in the World, beating out Akureyri, Iceland's garden.

As seen from the road and then from the parking area.  We had to walk the remainder of the distance.enhance

enhance

enhance

I'd say this is the vegetable garden section, wouldn't you?enhance

A water feature.enhance

enhance

enhance

The garden displays were simple but it was nice to get out into the countryside to see flora and fauna.  Being mid September most of the flowers were gone unfortunately.

Another whalebone arch.enhance

Maybe the gardening tools are kept here.

enhance

I think I'll start a new post for the fishing village.  Stay tuned!

• Like 25