Galveston hotel

R & T

19 minutes ago, R & T said:

Any information on Beachfront Palms Hotel in Galveston ?  Has anyone stayed there?  Thanks

How can one put this?  Yes, we stayed there, but only for a few minutes.  
We arrived early evening with frugal friends who made the booking on price for the whole party..  

On arrival we looked, we saw, we did not like, we listened to four people complaining, we turned round, we all left, we all grabbed taxis, we all checked into Hilton Island, we all received free balcony upgrade.

But it’s your money, it’s your choice, and if that’s what you want......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not only that - but most days are priced at $127, Fridays are only $45, Saturdays are $280

I guess they charge what the market will bear - OK for a free market - just be aware.

17 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

Not only that - but most days are priced at $127, Fridays are only $45, Saturdays are $280

I guess they charge what the market will bear - OK for a free market - just be aware.

$45.00 !  -  Wow  -  So overpriced.....

Caveat emptor

22 hours ago, imola said:

Does anyone know anything about the Best Western Seawall Inn?  I looked at Hilton but expensive in July.  

If it's the best western plus on the west end of the seawall, it looks nice enough. Admittedly I never stayed there, but I have stayed many times at the HIE next door.

I've never seen Galveston hotels so high. I looked at another holiday inn express for last night on the seawall and they wanted $479 (after taxes and fees) for a base room.  That is just ridiculous for around here.

3 hours ago, SCBarker said:

If it's the best western plus on the west end of the seawall, it looks nice enough. Admittedly I never stayed there, but I have stayed many times at the HIE next door.

I've never seen Galveston hotels so high. I looked at another holiday inn express for last night on the seawall and they wanted $479 (after taxes and fees) for a base room.  That is just ridiculous for around here.

Yes I think it is that one.  I agree hotel prices are pretty out there right now.  Still waiting to see if cruise cancels.  

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Sorry but have a question.

If Galveston “Hotels” are above individual price points, does the USA have one night alternatives such as Guest Houses and BNBs as in England?

Yes there are traditional BNBs and "airBNB vacation rentals", but I doubt you will find them any cheaper than your traditional hotel. 

I think the outrageous prices right now is mostly because I was quoting the day of.  Although there is a lot of pent up demand to get out for vacation. With some options not available like cruises or european trips, local demand is high.  I see a lot of government stimulus money being spent on vacations.

On 5/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Emfagan said:

We tend to stay in Houston the night before the cruise due to the rates in Galveston.  The options are more plentiful and more economical!

There are a couple of decent hotels on NASA parkway that are close to Kemah attractions and a $50 Lyft ride to the cruise terminal.  Galveston is a great pre-cruise location but prices have been off the charts the last few years.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn/NASA prior to a princess cruise from the Houston port (remember that?) and was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by txjim09

On 5/9/2021 at 6:42 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Sorry but have a question.

If Galveston “Hotels” are above individual price points, does the USA have one night alternatives such as Guest Houses and BNBs as in England?

You might want to consider hotels/motels in either the Clear Lake area or the Texas City area. Those facilities should be less expensive than those on the Island.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:09 PM, imola said:

Does anyone know anything about the Best Western Seawall Inn?  I looked at Hilton but expensive in July.  

Stayed there once, won’t again. Definitely not the best, & too far from anywhere if you don’t have a car. Only thing anywhere close is Walmart

• 1 month later...

Check the Tremont if you want parking included.  It’s within walking distance to the pier.

If you have a car and want to save money don’t stay in Galveston on the weekends.  Try League City or Texas City or even stay in Houston.  I would stay south of downtown during the week for rush hour.  We have even stayed near Hobby although that’s not the best part of town so don’t leave anything in your car.  You can get a great room in Houston for the price you’d paid for the Hampton in Galveston.  Try the downtown Marriott with a lazy river on the roof. It’s about an hour from the pier post rush hour.

Families like Moody Gardens for things to do although the rooms are nothing special.  

We only stay in Galveston for short cruises that don’t leave on the weekends.  Rates are reasonable during the week.  We do like the strand/pier area with its shops and restaurants.   

If you’re not from the area Galveston is not pretty like Florida beaches.  We still like it as it’s the only thing close but the ocean view is not like Florida. You won’t miss out by staying farther away if money is a consideration.  

Edited by cruiselvr04

I did book the Tremont but decided not to do the park and sail with them.  I heard they have been sold.  Hoping the quality doesn’t go down with the change.  I will watch future reviews.  It is a 72 hour cancel policy.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2021 at 3:52 PM, mrlevin said:

Any Galveston Hotels that have a rate including one week parking?  Looking for mid-November.

Hilton and some others have or had free parking but the hotels were not cheap .