Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

MJV: Before you go ;

Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements

Bermuda Cruise Information (very detailed for my cruise) 

When is your cruise ? 

I think this confirms that Viking has not detailed pre-cruise requirements for Malta/Adriatic yet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I think this confirms that Viking has not detailed pre-cruise requirements for Malta/Adriatic yet.

Agreed. What I saw that someone had posted was a detailed spreadsheet. (Of course, I can’t seem to find it again). It listed all the forms, tests, apps, etc. on the left side, the cruise dates were along the top, and the spreadsheet showed exactly when those items should be completed for your particular cruise. It looked very helpful, hopefully it’s coming soon.

Is there a %  cap on number of passengers or is Viking going for a sellout?  Will they close off every other dinner table?  Lastly, is the Restaurant still open seating or reservation only?  Appreciate your responses.

1 hour ago, eduguy said:

Is there a %  cap on number of passengers or is Viking going for a sellout?  Will they close off every other dinner table?  Lastly, is the Restaurant still open seating or reservation only?  Appreciate your responses.

Best info available is in the Iceland and Bermuda threads as Malta hasn’t sailed yet and any answers would be just speculation. 
Tom

• Like 1

I'm thinking of booking one of the August 2021 Malta cruises and after reading the comments on this thread it appears that perhaps there will be little choice for excursions or dining since reservations have been open for a while and all the veteran Viking cruiser have made reservations leaving undesirable times and excursion left. We are early diners and would never take a cruise where you have to eat after 7PM.

Will there be early ding times? Will there be desirable excursions?Thanks for any input.

This would be our first Viking cruise.

e

42 minutes ago, Empehi said:

I'm thinking of booking one of the August 2021 Malta cruises and after reading the comments on this thread it appears that perhaps there will be little choice for excursions or dining since reservations have been open for a while and all the veteran Viking cruiser have made reservations leaving undesirable times and excursion left. We are early diners and would never take a cruise where you have to eat after 7PM.

Will there be early ding times? Will there be desirable excursions?Thanks for any input.

e

We recently booked Malta, the Adriatic & Greece for Aug 13 and had no problem getting early dining times for Manfredi's or the dining room.  In fact the dining room had 5:45 open every night - it went in 15 min increments from there.  Excursions are not open for this cruise, but from past experience Viking will add excursions if the included one is full.  And you can always get on a wait list if your choice isn't available - there are often last minute cancellations.  I wouldn't hesitate booking for either reason.  You will love Viking!

19 minutes ago, JerryInIL said:

Why would all of the Western Mediterranean Welcome Back cruises (all in September)  be sold out when all the other Malta cruises still have good availability?

When certain cruise dates suddenly went to sold out for the welcome back cruises previously, it was not a good sign. Those cruises were either switched to a totally different itinerary or canceled. 

On 7/2/2021 at 9:20 PM, eduguy said:

The only info I could glean was from the visit Malta site was as follows

image.png.fa3a83061d74c936670176248524e3f9.png

Which would suggest they could operate at 65% capacity ?

Now, whether a cruise ship is considered "sea transport" that's another matter ?

22 hours ago, Empehi said:

e

I am thinking perhaps Viking is trying to combine those Malta cruises at this point. We are on the August 30.... 21 day. This is our 5th Viking cruise & we love them...as I am sure you will. Once you are on board you can usually change your reservations...like for the special restaurants...also for the main dining room, if required. We always just stood in a fast moving line for that main restaurant (the Restaurant) dining with no problem, unless you are with others. Also you can say "alone dining or seat me at a large table with others. Dining outside is always available too. I know we will have some adjustments probably but not drastic I would guess. Also that wait list for excursions works really well too, as people change their mind on times & excursions. They are very accommodating at the guest services booking desk.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gma1 said:

I am thinking perhaps Viking is trying to combine those Malta cruises at this point. We are on the August 30.... 21 day. This is our 5th Viking cruise & we love them...as I am sure you will. Once you are on board you can usually change your reservations...like for the special restaurants...also for the main dining room, if required. We always just stood in a fast moving line for that main restaurant (the Restaurant) dining with no problem, unless you are with others. Also you can say "alone dining or seat me at a large table with others. Dining outside is always available too. I know we will have some adjustments probably but not drastic I would guess. Also that wait list for excursions works really well too, as people change their mind on times & excursions. They are very accommodating at the guest services booking desk.

Also The Restaurant main dining room fills up very fast right after the port talks in the Star Theater. I cannot remember what time that usually is...but think maybe 6:00 for 45 -60 minutes talk. Anyone have a better memory than me?

48 minutes ago, Alan2504 said:

The only info I could glean was from the visit Malta site was as follows

image.png.fa3a83061d74c936670176248524e3f9.png

Which would suggest they could operate at 65% capacity ?

Now, whether a cruise ship is considered "sea transport" that's another matter ?

I doubt that these Malta restrictions will apply to Viking cruising. They will have their own separate deal with Malta for that.

48 minutes ago, gma1 said:

There’s no wait list for excursions. But those shut out due to sold out ShoreEx should email tellus@vikingcruises and let them know which ones you’d like to be on. That’s apparently the only way they know there is greater demand. They have been responsive in adding more ShoreEx for Iceland and Bermuda.

As for The Restaurant, I don’t think they’re seating for large tables yet. Perhaps if the bubble gets burst—but right now, the reason we have to reserve for the MDR is to maintain social distancing. I’ve heard it’s been relaxed for some of the Iceland and Bermuda cruises, but they have had restrictions relaxed gradually, on a case-by-case basis. Malta is a little more strict right now.

Agree on getting reservations for all the restaurants once onboard.

Looking for others' insight into this.  We arrive at Malta 11:15am Tuesday Aug 10.  Their 72 hour clock for the required PCR test for us begins Saturday the 7th at 2am.  I'm not finding much testing available on a weekend, and if available, they Fed Ex the sample to their lab (again, on the weekend), and say maybe 24 to 72 hour notification if they are not busy...  Again, if we are able to get the swab at 8am Saturday, we are then 66 hours from arrival.  Not good. 

Also, I have yet to see specifically what Malta deems as an acceptable certification of a negative test.  A copy of an Email from a lab seem a little iffy.  Any recent experience with this?

Thanks, Troy

56 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

Looking for others' insight into this.  We arrive at Malta 11:15am Tuesday Aug 10.  Their 72 hour clock for the required PCR test for us begins Saturday the 7th at 2am.  I'm not finding much testing available on a weekend, and if available, they Fed Ex the sample to their lab (again, on the weekend), and say maybe 24 to 72 hour notification if they are not busy...  Again, if we are able to get the swab at 8am Saturday, we are then 66 hours from arrival.  Not good. 

Also, I have yet to see specifically what Malta deems as an acceptable certification of a negative test.  A copy of an Email from a lab seem a little iffy.  Any recent experience with this?

Thanks, Troy

Info on what Malta requires

https://www.visitmalta.com/en/info/traffic-light-system/

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

Sacto Covid Testing

https://covidclinic.org/sacramento/

Viking pre-trip prep

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210702-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Malta-US.pdf

Hope this helps!

Edited by LindaS272

We are sharing the latest info as we are 10 days out from sail from Malta on the Viking Venus. This is the 3rd episode of us sharing what we know about our upcoming cruise. We have completed the VeriFly app required by Viking and we doing the necessary testing prior to leaving. What testing is needed to return?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PBtroy said:

Thanks, Troy

We are in a similar dilemma.  However we have found several labs in the area that will do a same day results testing for $125 fee.  This maybe our only choice as departure (7/11) draws near.  I am not sure how strict the enforcement will be for this testing deadline.

13 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

After reading the first link it appears that if you live in an Amber country (or state in the US) effective June 30, 2021 you only need proof of a COVID vaccination received 14days or longer from entry into Malta. Am I missing something?

e

3 minutes ago, Empehi said:

After reading the first link it appears that if you live in an Amber country (or state in the US) effective June 30, 2021 you only need proof of a COVID vaccination received 14days or longer from entry into Malta. Am I missing something?

e

The Maltese only specify 3 types of vaccination certificate which are acceptable

1)" A valid official Maltese vaccination certificate (age 12 and over)" 

2) “NHS COVID Pass “– "NHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination record – full course of vaccination with 14 day after last dose"

3) “EU Digital COVID Certificate (Vaccination Certificate) “ full course of vaccination with 14 day after last dose"

If you don't have one of these certificate  and your are from an Amber country you can supply

"A negative 72 hour nasopharyngeal RT-PCR test result (age 5 and over)"

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

e

See response #244 from Alan2504. He is correct. You really need to read through ALL the information from Malta and familiarize yourself with their ongoing requirements. The Maltese are not yet recognizing US vaccination certificates.

• Like 1

After seeing a great Viking Venus intro video last week, I've tentatively looked to book for Iceland but dates couldn't tie up with other commitments, so then looked at the Malta / Dalmatian coast Sailings.

Malta might well be turning Green for UK passport holders, but the others seem likely to remain amber. So any UK passport holders would need to quarantine for 5 days and be travelling without insurance as any red or amber counties will be excluded for cover as they are countries we are advised to avoid.

So my proposed booking fell at the first hurdle. A real shame, I was pretty impressed with the Viking Venus videos. Whilst the offer to give a FCC was given if we decided not to travel within 14 days, the fact this is a good deal and future prices not as attractive made that offer seem not as good as it sounded....... And if a country turned red - tough - its still sailing and your choice not to go! Those words weren't used but that was the gist. 

For me to be able to book, I was going to have to cancel the final of 4 Seacation cruises booked (Don't have unlimited holiday!)..... so unfortunately its the status que now.

Whats the thoughts on this scenario for other UK passport holders?

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

See response #244 from Alan2504. He is correct. You really need to read through ALL the information from Malta and familiarize yourself with their ongoing requirements. The Maltese are not yet recognizing US vaccination certificates.

When I read the requirements about the USA I read that some states are on the Amber list & no special requirements are required...however other states (12) are on the red list (but those could change & update) will have to have certain requirements. My state of Virginia is on that Amber list...Washington State and Illinois are on that Amber list also.  I assume Viking will contact you if your state  is on that red list for further instructions. They know what state is your residence. Unless Viking tells me differently I believe my  Covid Vaccination Record Card issued by the CDC is sufficient. NOW I do think Viking may put all of us through some testing, perhaps saliva, before we will be allowed onboard. People can lie and forge anything and Viking cannot afford to take any chance or risk.

14 minutes ago, gma1 said:

Unless Viking tells me differently I believe my  Covid Vaccination Record Card issued by the CDC is sufficient. 

At the moment the Maltese government is only recognising the 3 vaccination certificates as I listed earlier, so your "Covid Vaccination Record Card issued by the CDC" will not be accepted, however being in an "Amber" state you can provide a negative 72 hour PCR test to allow you to travel.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gma1 said:

When I read the requirements about the USA I read that some states are on the Amber list & no special requirements are required...however other states (12) are on the red list (but those could change & update) will have to have certain requirements. My state of Virginia is on that Amber list...Washington State and Illinois are on that Amber list also.  I assume Viking will contact you if your state  is on that red list for further instructions. They know what state is your residence. Unless Viking tells me differently I believe my  Covid Vaccination Record Card issued by the CDC is sufficient. NOW I do think Viking may put all of us through some testing, perhaps saliva, before we will be allowed onboard. People can lie and forge anything and Viking cannot afford to take any chance or risk.

I would add that our cruise is not until August 30..so who knows what may be required by then! I did enjoy the video & info from Mediawise #241 and look forward to their future videos about their latest adventure soon to happen.

The 72 hour PCR test seems really anxiety-producing.  We fly on a Friday, arriving in Malta on Saturday (Malta time)...so we basically have to get tested on Wednesday or Thursday and hope that we get results by the time we land?  How does that work?

• Like 1