Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

3 minutes ago, eduguy said:

This all I could find on link from above:

As from 30th June 2021, all arrivals from the UK need to present proof of full vaccination with14 days after the second dose.”

scroll down the page to:

REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAVELLERS ARRIVING IN MALTA FROM COUNTRIES ON THE AMBER LIST

then scroll down through the list of countries and then it states

"Persons travelling to, coming to Malta from the above countries must not pass through transit airports outside these zones."

it requires a lot of scrolling down though 🙃

29 minutes ago, Alan2504 said:

scroll down the page to:

REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAVELLERS ARRIVING IN MALTA FROM COUNTRIES ON THE AMBER LIST

then scroll down through the list of countries and then it states

"Persons travelling to, coming to Malta from the above countries must not pass through transit airports outside these zones."

it requires a lot of scrolling down though 🙃

Y6

Both the USA & Britain are on the above list.  My interpretation is that they cannot pass through transit airports outside the Amber zone (red & dark red): Viking told us we DO NOT have to change our connection at LHR.

19 minutes ago, eduguy said:

Both the USA & Britain are on the above list.  My interpretation is that they cannot pass through transit airports outside the Amber zone (red & dark red): Viking told us we DO NOT have to change our connection at LHR.

The US is on the Amber list; the UK is on the Red list. 
REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAVELLERS ARRIVING IN MALTA FROM COUNTRIES ON THE AMBER LIST

Persons travelling to, coming to Malta from the above countries must not pass through transit airports outside these zones.

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

Viking’s not doing my air, but even if they were I wouldn’t rely on their assurances but instead would check the requirements of the UK when transiting.

Edited by LindaS272

Ultimately the decision whether you can enter Malta will be made the Maltese Immigration officer on arrival.

They will apply the laws that Malta has enacted with regard to whether you enter or are refused entry

to the country.

So that's why it is only sensible, if not essential, to read and understand the information on the Maltese government website, not what a Viking agent assumes or someone's personal  opinion.

I know the all documentation we received from Viking has the caveat to ensure you are familiar with latest information with regard to entry requirements of the country  you visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisezr1 said:

Just was notify from Viking our Sept 5th Malta / Western Mediterranean cruise was cancel. The 3 others that was scheduled were cancelled as well. Due to some issues with Italy but couldn't tell me anymore.

Sorry to hear this, I'm sure you are disappointed

19 hours ago, teabear said:

Have you looked at getting on the July 14th sailing - its not on the website however if you call the wonderful people at the Guest Services bookings sections, miracles is what they do as normal.  That gets you back on July 24th - if the 10 days silliness is still in play, you will be clear by the 4th and able to do your Scarlet Lady adventure - thats my scenario as well - getting really excited to be going inspite of the massive number of calls, emails, forms to fill in, tests to arrange, etc etc etc - I organize entire international annual meetings of stockholders with less fuss.

Cheers for that. Im sure I had seen the previous sailings, which as you've said are no longer there.

Alas... No good for me.... It's my son's 21st on the 23rd.

It also sounds like the double vaccine thing is being put off until the 16 Aug so academic. Looks like I've missed the boat!

On 7/5/2021 at 11:51 AM, Tom.in.nc said:

We must be very lucky here in central North Carolina because we have several free drive up sites that provide the required nasopharyngeal RT-PCR test with results that arrive in about four hours (from our past experience.) The testing site quotes 7 to 12 hour response. We got a text with a link to a PDF that has worked going to St. Lucia and Jamaica.

Also don’t forget the time difference between US and Malta gives you a few extra hours.

Tom

On 7/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, Clay Clayton said:

That’s what we are doing tomorrow!  Thank you Wake County. Don’t have to have one to enter Iceland but also don’t want to get there and find out we are positive and not be able to come home. So tomorrow will be our first time having our brains tickled 😳

Where are you going in Wake County that has such a fast turnaround for the PCR tests? I live in Chatham County and everyplace I'v checked says 48-72 hours.

TIA for your response.

45 minutes ago, cboyle said:

Where are you going in Wake County that has such a fast turnaround for the PCR tests? I live in Chatham County and everyplace I'v checked says 48-72 hours.

TIA for your response.

https://covid19.wakegov.com/testing/

We went to the Vision Church parking lot location as it was closest to our place and they did the insertion for you.  

They said that it would take 24-72 hours but we got our results in 27. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We went to the Vision Church parking lot location as it was closest to our place and they did the insertion for you.  

At the RADEAS sites you swab your own nostrils and we have always (3 times) received results in under 5 hours.

Tom

Edited by Tom.in.nc
Typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

https://covid19.wakegov.com/testing/

We also use the free testing in Wake County which is done by Radeas Labs. We get results in less than 12 hours, sometimes in 6-8 hours. Very easy. Noticed they eliminated some of the sites but they still have 3 sites. We hope they continue offering this free service, our cruise is on Sept 12. Hope this is of help. 

INFO ON COVID TESTING IN RDU AREA

RADEAS has consolidated our previous sites into three (3) Regional locations. I've provided that information and more that you may find helpful. Please let us know if you have additional questions. 

If you would like to be tested, please feel free to come by one of our drive-thru testing locations. There is no appointment needed.

Radeas Testing Sites:
Please click this link for addresses, dates and times of available testing at our drive -thru locations. https://wakecovid.com

Cost:
We are currently partnering with Wake County to Provide Fast, Safe, Secure, and Free Testing! No insurance card or identification is needed.

The Type of Test Performed:
This is a RT-PCR test. A molecular test that detects genetic material of the virus using a lab technique called polymerase chain reaction (PCR). This test checks for SARS-CoV-2, a new virus that causes novel coronavirus disease (also called COVID-19), a respiratory illness. 

How is the Test Administered:
The test is self-administered and registered while you are in your car. You will need a smartphone so you can scan the QR code of the sample and link it to you. The order number (SAMPLE ID) is important to track your sample. Please document this number. Please alert our staff on site if you do not have a smartphone. They will provide a form to complete your registration. 

Turnaround Time:
We strive to provide results as soon as possible. Results typically return within 7-12 hours, excluding Sunday. Samples are processed in groups collected throughout the day, so it is normal for response times to vary for patients, even if they tested together in their vehicle.  

How the results are reported to you:
You elect text or email. You can choose how to share that information with third parties. We do not send or alter reports to third parties. However, if you need a report for clearance prior to a medical procedure, return to work; or travel, we recommend that you select email because you can select to print this as a PDF, forward, etc., at your discretion. 

Accreditation/Certification:
COLA (Commission on Office Laboratory Accreditation) www.cola.org
CLIA  (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) https://www.cdc.gov/clia/index.html

What is CLIA?:
The Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) regulate laboratory testing and require clinical laboratories to be certified by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) before they can accept human samples for diagnostic testing.

Radeas CLIA Registration number: 34D2055932 - This number is often required for international travel.

Travel:
Our lab results report is compliant for domestic and most international travel. However, you should contact the state of destination or US Department of State for international travel at the link(s) to inquire and confirm.

Countries in Alphabetical order - COVID-19 Specific Information:
US Department of State Travel Home Page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html
Hawaii Specific COVID 19 Travel Requirements: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

Other Guidance: 
Please consult your own physician with any medical questions and visit the link below for additional guidance.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Sincerely,
Patrick 
Radeas COVID Support Team
covid@radeas.com

• Like 1

I've just called Viking regarding their 25th July departure from Valletta. Seeing as the 10 day quarantine has now been lifted I was hopeful that we could now take this cruise. Unfortunately because  there is only one included flight option with British Airways, there is now a £600 (£300pp) surcharge to flights because of demand. I asked if we could opt out of the flight and arrange our own flight with Easyjet, Wizz or Air Malta, but was told no. Bare in mind that flights with these other airlines are currently £80 return.

It's not that we can't afford it, but it's the principle that bothers me. We're no longer required to have testing prior to flying, so I don't see why Viking are trying to control what flight we take. Plus we'll all be double vaccinated and the ship is docked in Valletta for the first two days, so there's no issue with people missing the departure. I'm hoping that an additional flight is added without the huge surcharge in the coming weeks.

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 2

Our Malta cruise is one week away with us leaving on Sunday, 7/11 to meet the Venus. In this episode we share details of the final departure documents required by Malta and Viking. With only the final PCR test yet to go, we are confident that we'll be boarding the ship in a week.

UK Travellers check the batch no. of the vaccine AZ

"Malta has banned entry to UK travellers who took three particular batches of the Covid-19 vaccine. 

In a travel advisory by the UK's foreign office, travellers were warned that those who were administered the Astrazeneca vaccine with batch numbers: 4120Z001, 4120Z002, 4120Z003 will be denied entry. 

All three batches are of the vaccine manufactured in India by the Serum Institute of India (SII), and known as Covishield."

source: Malta Times

Edited by Alan2504
acknowledgement of source missing

On 7/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, Clay Clayton said:

That’s what we are doing tomorrow!  Thank you Wake County. Don’t have to have one to enter Iceland but also don’t want to get there and find out we are positive and not be able to come home. So tomorrow will be our first time having our brains tickled 😳

So Malta's time difference gives us in USA a few more extra hours. Think I am confused about this. Can you please explain.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gma1 said:

So Malta's time difference gives us in USA a few more extra hours. Think I am confused about this. Can you please explain.

Let's say you arrive in Malta at 4:20 PM Saturday Malta time (which is when my flight lands), so you need to know when it's 72 hours prior to that in California (where I live).  Because Malta is 9 hours ahead of California, 72 hours prior is not 4:20 PM Wednesday - it's 7:20 AM Wednesday.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:32 AM, Tom.in.nc said:

INFO ON COVID TESTING IN RDU AREA

RADEAS has consolidated our previous sites into three (3) Regional locations. I've provided that information and more that you may find helpful. Please let us know if you have additional questions. 
<SNIP>

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I can't tell you how relieved I am to get this information, even if I might have to drive 50 miles to get the test.

19 hours ago, Alan2504 said:

UK Travellers check the batch no. of the vaccine AZ

"Malta has banned entry to UK travellers who took three particular batches of the Covid-19 vaccine. 

In a travel advisory by the UK's foreign office, travellers were warned that those who were administered the Astrazeneca vaccine with batch numbers: 4120Z001, 4120Z002, 4120Z003 will be denied entry. 

All three batches are of the vaccine manufactured in India by the Serum Institute of India (SII), and known as Covishield."

source: Malta Times

Just had a call from Viking Guest services - yes, its Saturday but they are calling all UK guests to double check the batch numbers if they were given AZ.  So very very impressed with the dedication to making sure their guests were compliant in all their paperwork and all the changes that have been happening - fingers and toes crossed that I have all the bits in place and good to go - never can I remember being so nervous about travelling in my entire life 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, travelguy19 said:

It sounds like the Malta cruises are not happening for U.S. citizens. Malta announced that they are only letting vaccinated people into the country, and they are not accepting the CDC card. Very disappointing.

Here’s the specific part of the email I received from the US Embassy on 9 July:

Message to U.S. Citizens:  U.S. Embassy in Malta (July 9, 2021)

Event: Announcement of new restrictions from the Maltese government in response to rising numbers of COVID cases

Travel Information:

On July 9, the Minister for Health publicly announced Malta will require all travelers to present Maltese recognized proof of COVID-19 vaccination beginning July 14.  The Government of Malta currently only recognizes the Maltese vaccine certificates, UK-issued NHS COVID passes, and the EU COVID Pass.  The Government of Malta does not currently recognize the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) vaccination card.  Beginning July 14, U.S. citizens will not be permitted to enter Malta unless they have one of the before-mentioned Maltese recognized COVID-19 vaccination certificates, regardless of their point of origin. 

The Maltese Ministry of Health website has not yet been updated to reflect these new restrictions.  The Embassy is closely monitoring the situation and will provide updates or clarifications as they become available.