Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Last time I looked, Malta is a separate country and frankly is entitled to make its own rules to protect it's citizens. It couldn't care less about US citizens having visited Iceland and Bermuda.

If your Govt refuses to implement a national vaccine record/passport, perhaps you should be complaining about your Governments refusal to provide you with vaccine documentation that is acceptable worldwide.

If anything is "Nonsensical", it is a Govt refusing to provide their citizens the required tools to travel effectively, post-COVID.

The commenter suggests that Malta's new travel restrictions are perfectly OK. That's not what the EU is saying, however.

The European Commission held a press briefing today. (The Commission is the EU's executive branch.) In the briefing, the Commission spokesperson raised concerns that Malta's new measures could be discriminatory. The spokesperson said: "A vaccination certificate cannot be a precondition for the exercise of free movement." The Commission has asked Malta to explain why it adopted the measures.

Also today, France condemned Malta's sudden decision to bar unvaccinated travelers as "against European rules." Concern was expressed that the decision could have a domino effect within the rest of Europe.

Whether or not Malta's restrictions are "nonsensical," they are certainly being called into question by authorities in Europe.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/eu-raises-discrimination-concerns-over-malta-travel-ban.886087

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Covid-19-France-condemns-Malta-s-decision-to-bar-unvaccinated-tourists

https://fortune.com/2021/07/12/malta-highest-vaccination-rate-unvaccinated-enter/

• Like 1

Looks like Malta is still very much in question. I hate to even bring this up, but has anyone heard of any  Covid issues with the governments of Montenegro and Croatia? I have not even heard these countries mentioned.

On 7/11/2021 at 5:34 PM, mediawise said:

Despite all of the issues with the Maltese entry dates. we are currently on our way and ready to fly to Malta on July 11th.  We have cleared the airport formalities and await the planes departure.

Thank you for another very informative video. We hope you made it to Malta safely. Please let us know how it goes on July 14th. The very best to you and to all the passengers on cruises leaving from Malta in the coming days. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, NC1989 said:

Thank you for another very informative video. We hope you made it to Malta safely. Please let us know how it goes on July 14th. The very best to you and to all the passengers on cruises leaving from Malta in the coming days. 

I hope we can hear from Ken and Martha soon. In the comments to this video on YouTube, they said they made it to Munich and had no problems with Passport Control. Their vaccine card and passport were accepted without question. It was posted 17 hours ago and they were cooling their heels in the Lufthansa Lounge waiting for their flight to Malta. Wishing them safe journey!

• Like 2

Times are crazy.  Unfortunately covid still is spreading.  Vaccinated people seem to avoid getting very sick.  Cannot understand why people choose not to get the shots.  Malta has restrictions that suit the country at this time.  It’s no different than when the United States refused admission of EU nationals in March 2020.  While it may be inconvenient, it is designed to keep Malta safe.  Safety is goal for everyone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mediawise said:

We have made our way to Malta in preparation for the July 14 departure of the Venus from Malta.  Our trip from Chicago to Valletta was as expected - long  but with no delays or paperwork hassles.  In todays video we share our travel experiences.

https://youtu.be/dWUjADMzbIY

Malta wants us! They really want us! 😻Thanks Ken and Martha for the news that Viking has made it work with the Maltese authorities. All the pax coming in on the 14th will be mightily relieved, I’m sure.

We will eagerly await Viking’s information to us as well for our Sept. 12 cruise. Thank you for taking us along on your journey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mediawise said:

We have made our way to Malta in preparation for the July 14 departure of the Venus from Malta.  Our trip from Chicago to Valletta was as expected - long  but with no delays or paperwork hassles.  In todays video we share our travel experiences.

https://youtu.be/dWUjADMzbIY

question - noticed you are both wearing what looks like a monitoring device? and thanks for your video - very helpful and comforting to those who all be travelling to Malta in the coming weeks. 

Great news for future summer of 2021 Malta cruisers....anxious to hear the details of the negotiations. So grateful for Ken and Martha's updates as it takes some of the travel stress off. Glad to see Martha's tired but happy face has returned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CharTrav said:

question - noticed you are both wearing what looks like a monitoring device? and thanks for your video - very helpful and comforting to those who all be travelling to Malta in the coming weeks. 

I think they’re microphones for the video.

10 minutes ago, cruisezr1 said:

I wish someone would explain to me why my Sept 5th cruise from Malta was cancel by Viking???

Since they are also selling the two different cruises as a combined 21 day cruise they had to juggle ship assignments.

Your ship was repurposed, I.e., moved to the other itinerary.

Tom 

Edited by Tom.in.nc

6 minutes ago, cruisezr1 said:

I wish someone would explain to me why my Sept 5th cruise from Malta was cancel by Viking???

I don't know, but if your ship is the Star, then I'm rather hoping that they will be basing her in the UK for a bit longer, and doing cruises to Scandinavia or the Canaries up until Christmas!  (Sorry, I feel your disappointment and DO sympathise.)  I love the idea of getting back onto a Viking cruise, but at the moment I'm not prepared to take flights anywhere.

Viking Star has left Valletta and heading to Gibraltar.

Anyone know what’s up?

Never mind, just saw they have cruises around the UK next month.

Tom

Edited by Tom.in.nc
Answered myself.

Has anyone received information from Viking (either from onboard one of the Malta cruises or from Viking US) as to what is happening with vaccinated Americans being allowed into Malta in order to embark/disembark Viking?   I’ve chatted with separate US based Viking customer service agents and neither knew what I was asking about. 

3 minutes ago, SFO_FT said:

Has anyone received information from Viking (either from onboard one of the Malta cruises or from Viking US) as to what is happening with vaccinated Americans being allowed into Malta in order to embark/disembark Viking?   I’ve chatted with separate US based Viking customer service agents and neither knew what I was asking about. 

Watch the video at #381 in this thread as well as my response in #382. These folks are on the July 14 cruise, are in Malta now and received an email from Viking.

Edited by LindaS272

Has anyone received an email from Viking about the new entry regulations and is able to post a copy of it here?  Have a booking on the 31 July trip from Malta and keen to understand what arrangements Viking is saying have been made for US-vaccinated passengers to enter Malta given official government rules that, as of tomorrow, don’t allow it.  Passengers could be denied boarding of their flights to Malta (either flying nonstop to Malta from the US or from another city in Europe) as air carriers will absolutely deny boarding on their flights to Malta if a passenger is not in compliance with Malta’s official policy.  Otherwise, Malta can/will fine the carrier. The air carriers can only look at Malta’s official policy as to whether to allow a passenger on its flights. 

12 minutes ago, SFO_FT said:

Has anyone received an email from Viking about the new entry regulations and is able to post a copy of it here?  Have a booking on the 31 July trip from Malta and keen to understand what arrangements Viking is saying have been made for US-vaccinated passengers to enter Malta given official government rules that, as of tomorrow, don’t allow it.  Passengers could be denied boarding of their flights to Malta (either flying nonstop to Malta from the US or from another city in Europe) as air carriers will absolutely deny boarding on their flights to Malta if a passenger is not in compliance with Malta’s official policy.  Otherwise, Malta can/will fine the carrier. The air carriers can only look at Malta’s official policy as to whether to allow a passenger on its flights. 

So this is for the people boarding flights today for the July 14th cruise when the rules change. It is specific for this one cruise, so who knows what will happen going forward.

292173E9-42DA-417D-8F14-20DA91CF07B4.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, travelguy19 said:

So this is for the people boarding flights today for the July 14th cruise when the rules change. It is specific for this one cruise, so who knows what will happen going forward.

292173E9-42DA-417D-8F14-20DA91CF07B4.jpeg

This is great news for the folks who sail tomorrow!

Looking forward, it will be very, very interesting to see what Malta does over the next two months. Will the country issue a letter similar to the above for all sailings during the summer? Will the country go back to its pre-July 14 rules or will it adopt some other rules? How will Viking respond? Etc. etc.

42 minutes ago, les37b said:

I thought the requirements for entry into Malta (from the UK) was for proof of double vaccination. There is no mention of a PCR anywhere being needed.

Have things changed yet again?

Given the specific reference to the US CDC card, I think the exception was specifically for passengers from the US. The rule for folks from the UK hasn't changed. You still only need your NHS card. The UK was not on the Amber list; the change going into effect on 14July only affects them. 

Relevant excerpts from the govt site cited below:

"Travel from the United Kingdom (UK)

As from 30th June 2021, all arrivals from the UK need to present proof of full vaccination with14 days after the second dose.                                                                                                                                                                  

As from the 1st July 2021 the Superintendent of Public Health is recognising and accepting the following vaccination certificate : -“NHS COVID Pass “– NHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination record – full course of vaccination with 14 days after last dose"

"If you have a recognised certificate of vaccination you are exempt from pre-travel testing and self-isolation"

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

Edited by CharTrav

24 minutes ago, grznuts said:

Malta has changed their rules again.

https://legislation.mt/eli/ln/2021/301/mlt

You beat me to it! 🙂 I was just about to post it. US citizens with vaccination cards now accepted. No mention of PCR testing. Same rules, apparently, as those with Maltese, UK or EU vaccination certs. Success! Let’s see if this holds…!

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/malta-expected-to-ease-ban-on-unvaccinated-travellers-impose.886429

English version

https://legislation.mt/eli/ln/2021/301/eng

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Given the specific reference to the US CDC card, I think the exception was specifically for passengers from the US. The rule for folks from the UK hasn't changed. You still only need your NHS card. 

"If you have a recognised certificate of vaccination you are exempt from pre-travel testing and self-isolation"

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

The "NHS card" is not valid (a certificate or digital passport is required) and I wasn't replying to a post that mentioned a US CDC card. It was a generic question in respect of PCR testing and had rules changed. (Which I now see you've edited your post to include that info .... Thank you.)

One further issue no one AFAICS has picked up on yet.

Malta is making all amber countries red as of 14th July. Does that mean if Croatia and Montenegro are Amber now, they become red and passengers face a 14 day quarantine in Malta when they get back?

Edited by les37b