Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

Hello everyone. We boarded the Viking Venus for our Adriatic cruise today (24th July). We had originally chosen not to go because of insurance problems relating to UK FCDO advice. However my partner is a US citizen and discovered that I could be added to his insurance policy for International cruising. To their credit, Viking have been very accommodating given we rescheduled  this cruise twice. 

To say that Viking is organised is an understatement. The airport in Malta was a breeze and as long as you have the correct documents it's very quick. Less than 15 minutes for us. Viking staff are located at the luggage carousels as well as the entire route to the bus.

Once at the port in Valletta, once again the health screening and check in procedure was efficient, and we boarded the ship in less than 10 minutes.

There are only 136 passengers on board, which is even less than the last cruise!! 😲

The lovely couple who vlogged the cruise prior to ours weren't joking when they said the ship is effectively your own private yacht. 🤣 We are completely outnumbered by crew and they are tripping over themselves to cater for our every need. This is our first cruise with Viking and we are literally blown away by the level of service and quality of food. After 19 months of being stuck at home dealing with Covid-19 we feel enormously privileged to be here, especially as the insurance issues led to so many Brits canceling.😪

We have completed our Covid-19 testing on board and are currently touring the ship with the odd bar break 😉

We will keep you updated with any changes to cruise ship procedures in relation to tours or on board offerings.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

Sounds amazing and your updates are so reassuring to future Malta/Adriatic cruisers. Can't wait until 8/23. Is the heat bearable?

33 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

Sounds amazing and your updates are so reassuring to future Malta/Adriatic cruisers. Can't wait until 8/23. Is the heat bearable?

It's very hot but it is bearable because it's not humid. Temperatures today were 90f - 33c. Make sure you have plenty of strong sunscreen especially on the upper decks sunbathing.

• Like 1

Just now, CLBSC said:

Sounds good, just hope we do not have to wear masks outside by the pool

The few people we've seen around the pool definitely weren't wearing masks. Neither were we in any outside areas of the ship and we weren't told otherwise by any of the crew 👍

• Like 3

Truly appreciate all of the info that folks have/are posting on this board!  And the videos from Mediawise have been very helpful as well.  We leave on the 12th and have gotten our air itinerary from Viking.  I didn't take air plus this time, because I thought we'd be routed through Newark & go direct to Malta on the charter flight that was mentioned earlier in this thread.  But that didn't happen.  We are going from Tampa to Dulles on United with exactly 1 hour (yikes!) until our next  (United) flight to  Frankfurt. Will be praying that we make it!  And also our luggage. 

But the really scary part is that we only have 1 hour 40 min in Frankfurt.  I realize we have to go through border control.  Does that mean we have to get our luggage, etc?  Any info about the connections in Frankfurt would be greatly appreciated! 

30 minutes ago, ammthm said:

Truly appreciate all of the info that folks have/are posting on this board!  And the videos from Mediawise have been very helpful as well.  We leave on the 12th and have gotten our air itinerary from Viking.  I didn't take air plus this time, because I thought we'd be routed through Newark & go direct to Malta on the charter flight that was mentioned earlier in this thread.  But that didn't happen.  We are going from Tampa to Dulles on United with exactly 1 hour (yikes!) until our next  (United) flight to  Frankfurt. Will be praying that we make it!  And also our luggage. 

But the really scary part is that we only have 1 hour 40 min in Frankfurt.  I realize we have to go through border control.  Does that mean we have to get our luggage, etc?  Any info about the connections in Frankfurt would be greatly appreciated! 

Talk to your airline—but pretty sure your bags will be checked through to Malta (because Schengen zone) so you would not have to collect them and re-check in Frankfurt. But to be absolutely sure, I’d check with United. Connections are tight—but at least you have an overnight on the ship if your bags don’t make it the first day! 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MissDaisyRI said:

forgot to mention, I mean the pool in the spa area

Yes—they have been requiring reservations for the spa pool and sauna/steam room area on the Welcome Back cruises. Many folks on previous cruises have said to make the reservations as soon as you board—at the spa services desk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ammthm said:

Normally in UK/EU, you clear Immigration at first point of entry, then Customs at destination. If your bags were checked to Malta, you should not have to collect them in Germany.

1 hour ago, MissDaisyRI said:

forgot to mention, I mean the pool in the spa area

At the moment, due to Covid-19, they are asking you to call ahead and book for the gym and the spa. However, for our cruise the ship is so empty, they said it was merely a formality.

• Like 2

A quick update regarding the free Malta bus tour on the second day. We attended an excursion presentation this afternoon and Viking confirmed that you will be allowed to exit the tour bus during the tour and will not have to spend 3 hours on the bus without being allowed off. 'Mediawise - your cruise companions' noted in their vlog that they had spent 3 hours on the bus without being allowed off. Following feedback from passengers on the first cruise, Viking have confirmed to us that you will now be allowed to get off the bus during the excursion. 👍 As we aren't booked on this excursion, we cannot confirm how many stops there will be however. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Normally in UK/EU, you clear Immigration at first point of entry, then Customs at destination. If your bags were checked to Malta, you should not have to collect them in Germany.

Thank you, Andy and LindaS272!   I should remember that from previous international flights, but it's been so long all I can remember are nightmare scenarios of rushing thru airports and having to take trains/buses between terminals!  Fingers crossed that immigration goes quickly!  At least we're in Business class so should get off both flights quickly.  Already planning to take an extra outfit or two in our carry-ons. 

5 hours ago, ammthm said:

We live in DC and are on the exact same flights as you!  When we’ve connected through Frankfurt in the past, we do not collect our luggage- just go through passport control and on to your next gate.  I think it’ll be a little tight but we should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

A quick update regarding the free Malta bus tour on the second day. We attended an excursion presentation this afternoon and Viking confirmed that you will be allowed to exit the tour bus during the tour and will not have to spend 3 hours on the bus without being allowed off. 'Mediawise - your cruise companions' noted in their vlog that they had spent 3 hours on the bus without being allowed off. Following feedback from passengers on the first cruise, Viking have confirmed to us that you will now be allowed to get off the bus during the excursion. 👍 As we aren't booked on this excursion, we cannot confirm how many stops there will be however. 

Thanks for keeping us up to date re. "The much talked about 3 hr. bus excursion" and other useful up-to-date info.  We’re cruising after you (with any luck). 

20 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Hello everyone. We boarded the Viking Venus for our Adriatic cruise today (24th July). We had originally chosen not to go because of insurance problems relating to UK FCDO advice. However my partner is a US citizen and discovered that I could be added to his insurance policy for International cruising. To their credit, Viking have been very accommodating given we rescheduled  this cruise twice. 

To say that Viking is organised is an understatement. The airport in Malta was a breeze and as long as you have the correct documents it's very quick. Less than 15 minutes for us. Viking staff are located at the luggage carousels as well as the entire route to the bus.

Once at the port in Valletta, once again the health screening and check in procedure was efficient, and we boarded the ship in less than 10 minutes.

There are only 136 passengers on board, which is even less than the last cruise!! 😲

The lovely couple who vlogged the cruise prior to ours weren't joking when they said the ship is effectively your own private yacht. 🤣 We are completely outnumbered by crew and they are tripping over themselves to cater for our every need. This is our first cruise with Viking and we are literally blown away by the level of service and quality of food. After 19 months of being stuck at home dealing with Covid-19 we feel enormously privileged to be here, especially as the insurance issues led to so many Brits canceling.😪

We have completed our Covid-19 testing on board and are currently touring the ship with the odd bar break 😉

We will keep you updated with any changes to cruise ship procedures in relation to tours or on board offerings.

Thanks for the great info.  We’ll (hopefully) be right behind you!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

It's nice to hear that Viking is changing it's protocols as things change.  

14 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

It's nice to hear that Viking is changing it's protocols as things change.  

Absolutely agree about Viking being willing to change protocols as things change, it will be interesting to follow our Malta/Adriatic "pioneers" as they pave the way for future cruisers.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

Absolutely agree about Viking being willing to change protocols as things change, it will be interesting to follow our Malta/Adriatic "pioneers" as they pave the way for future cruisers.

Would any of you “pioneers” be willing to post the Viking Daylies while on board? Or even photograph them and upload when you’re home? 

• Like 2

Another fantastic day in Dubrovnik great walking tour small group only 7 city was was full of life but only the Viking Sea in port so not over run by cruisers but lots of people on "game of thrones" tours

Overall happy with the Viking Covid protocols which protect the ship and crew so much so we cancelled a land based post cruise stay in Mal[a and booked the next cruise 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Would any of you “pioneers” be willing to post the Viking Daylies while on board? Or even photograph them and upload when you’re home? 

We're are in a port intensive couple of days I'll give it a try when I can 😎

• Thanks 2