Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

1 hour ago, les37b said:

It probably isn't and I expect its an auto generated email - but in short, please don't ignore it. Better to do what it says to be completely safe. From the reports I seem to be hearing, airlines are not even checking half the stuff we are required to do... but heaven help us if they pick on us to be officious with and we missed something. 

I'm filling out the PLF that was the predecessor to the online form - just in case. The UK gov website suggests we need both. I doubt its true and it is a pain - but not as painful getting told "no form no travel".

Safe travelling on Saturday les57b, and David & Janet. Please let us know how you get on arriving in Malta. We leave Scotland on Tuesday via stopover in Heathrow for Malta on Wednesday.

Your list was very helpful.

4 hours ago, CharlieSpaniel said:

Safe travelling on Saturday les57b, and David & Janet. Please let us know how you get on arriving in Malta. We leave Scotland on Tuesday via stopover in Heathrow for Malta on Wednesday.

You are more than welcome.... And will post how it went.

I think most are on Air Malta. I got shafted with afternoon BA flight.

Good luck to you too.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:35 PM, tony the magnificent said:

The land situation changed daily.   We flew home on Sep 9, at that time Croatia was open for individual exploration (except Kotor which we passed by), Greece was closed except for organized tours, and Malta was in between (as we left, we heard they allowed it).  Keep checking.  Expect the worst, hope for the best, enjoy what you get.

HI thanks for info was this on Viking?  If Port allowed self exploration then Viking allowed it? 

Also, did Viking test you every day? Thank! 

On 9/4/2021 at 6:34 AM, CLBSC said:

• Excursions-This was probably my biggest fear- being thrown onto a crowded bus as usually we prefer to book private tours at ports. I was really worried about contract tracing in this regard but no problems. Not to worry, the most passengers ever on our 60 passenger first class buses (even the included excursions was about 18) socially distanced strictly adhered to with Viking signs on prohibited seats. Local tour guides were thrilled to be working again and very, very  knowledgeable. We found it easy to tip these hard working guides and bus drivers. Be aware that several of the walking tours are quite long and up and down stairs. I suggested that they include in descriptions the length of miles walked. Most of the people in the cities did NOT wear masks, especially in Dubrovnik, so we were most careful to social distance.
  •  

Thanks for great post! We're you allowed off ship to explore Port on your own if Port allowed it? Thanks! 

FYI, doing Viking River Cruise in 2 weeks and just got email from Viking that

Effective for departures beginning September 23, 2021 through October 31, 2021, Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test within 72 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

52 minutes ago, jgrahamiii said:

FYI, doing Viking River Cruise in 2 weeks and just got email from Viking that

Effective for departures beginning September 23, 2021 through October 31, 2021, Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test 72 before departure within 72 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

Got the same email from Viking for our Ocean cruise in October on the Venus. Nothing new. We were always  going to take a PCR test  before we  get on our first  flight to Malta. 

1 hour ago, jgrahamiii said:

Also, did Viking test you every day? Thank! 

Yes,  you take a saliva test every morning.  Nothing to it after the first day. 

Edited by Azulann

9/12 Adriatic cruise on Venus going very well. I've heard different numbers, but sounds like between 5-600 people on board. We have been taking advantage of independent exploration at all ports.

All the health protocols have been easy but thorough. Was really anxious about the first test, but now it's given us a lot of confidence in safety. 

Guides in port and crew have all said that things are getting busier much faster than most thought. Dubrovnik was crowded but not uncomfortably so, especially day 2 when we were the only ship in port. I was sorry we missed Montenegro, but really appreciated having more time in Dubrovnik !

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

9/12 Adriatic cruise on Venus going very well. I've heard different numbers, but sounds like between 5-600 people on board. We have been taking advantage of independent exploration at all ports.

All the health protocols have been easy but thorough. Was really anxious about the first test, but now it's given us a lot of confidence in safety. 

Guides in port and crew have all said that things are getting busier much faster than most thought. Dubrovnik was crowded but not uncomfortably so, especially day 2 when we were the only ship in port. I was sorry we missed Montenegro, but really appreciated having more time in Dubrovnik !

I was told a couple of days ago that the next 2 sailings for Venus and Sea will both have approx 730 guests on board. I'd loved to have been on the 125 or 167 pax cruise, but to want that is just a death knell. (I'm on the next Sea sailing!) That number will I suspect mean these will cover all costs and a step in the right direction.

Anyone sailing at the moment - could you check if there is a magnified mirror for makeup in the room. I did ask in the "new to Viking" thread but answers were a mixed bag and from memory. She is hoping its something she doesn't need to pack - so fingers crossed there is!

5 hours ago, les37b said:

I was told a couple of days ago that the next 2 sailings for Venus and Sea will both have approx 730 guests on board. I'd loved to have been on the 125 or 167 pax cruise, but to want that is just a death knell. (I'm on the next Sea sailing!) That number will I suspect mean these will cover all costs and a step in the right direction.

Anyone sailing at the moment - could you check if there is a magnified mirror for makeup in the room. I did ask in the "new to Viking" thread but answers were a mixed bag and from memory. She is hoping its something she doesn't need to pack - so fingers crossed there is!

We are in a D Veranda & just checked for you...there is a mirror on a raised area compartment of desk, obviously for make up, but it is not a magnified mirror.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, les37b said:

If you ask, they will bring you a very nice, lighted magnifying mirror that sits on the desk.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

If you ask, they will bring you a very nice, lighted magnifying mirror that sits on the desk.

Oh that's fantastic. I will pass on the good news. Just need to persuade her to leave the kitchen sink behind. lol

Thanks everyone whove answered on this.

• Like 2

I'm in the process of completing the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) for our October 2 sailing of Malta & Adriatic Jewels.  Is it necessary to list the Intermediate Ports or was this a non-issue for those of you that have already completed the form?

More importantly, we disembark the Venus and immediately are shuttled to Viking's 2 day post extension hotel.  Anyone else had a similar situation?

5 hours ago, Mitina said:

I'm in the process of completing the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) for our October 2 sailing of Malta & Adriatic Jewels.  Is it necessary to list the Intermediate Ports or was this a non-issue for those of you that have already completed the form?

More importantly, we disembark the Venus and immediately are shuttled to Viking's 2 day post extension hotel.  Anyone else had a similar situation?

Your PLF is for Malta. Viking take care of things for Croatia and back to Malta, though you will need one for your onward flight. (At least you will for the UK)

If that is wrong, hopefully someone will shout. That's what I've done and fly on Sunday! lol

On 9/16/2021 at 4:09 PM, CharlieSpaniel said:

We're all set to go. Booked the PCR tests for after we return (we left it until yesterday in case UK Government decided they were no longer necessary - no such luck). Carried out lateral flow tests on ourselves this morning - all clear. The bulging folders with multiple copies of all the documents we may need are heavier than our suitcases. We're on the 10:50 Air Malta flight tomorrow. Alternative route to Heathrow airport checked as crucial bit of M4 motorway closed for the weekend; we'll have to rely on the satnav if the M25 is closed again by climate protesters. Oh for the days when you could throw a few things in a suitcase and head off on holiday without a care in the world!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, WannabeDiamondGeezer said:

Just managed to check in for Air Malta flight, booked for us by Viking, and also choose seats.

Hi 

Were you able to check in online or was this at the airport?  How much time did you do this before your flight?  We were told that we couldn’t do online check in as our PLF had to be seen in person at the airport.  We fly on Wednesday from Manchester to LHR and then change terminals to fly out on Air Malta.  

16 hours ago, Janet&David said:

We're all set to go. Booked the PCR tests for after we return (we left it until yesterday in case UK Government decided they were no longer necessary - no such luck). Carried out lateral flow tests on ourselves this morning - all clear. The bulging folders with multiple copies of all the documents we may need are heavier than our suitcases. We're on the 10:50 Air Malta flight tomorrow. Alternative route to Heathrow airport checked as crucial bit of M4 motorway closed for the weekend; we'll have to rely on the satnav if the M25 is closed again by climate protesters. Oh for the days when you could throw a few things in a suitcase and head off on holiday without a care in the world!

If my flight had been left unchanged at 06.15 there would not have been an issue with the eco extremists. Now it's 14.15, I'm hugely worried. I was always intending on arriving double early (as usual) but more so because of the airport unknown, especially as my flight time is peak time.

All paperwork reading.....crazy amounts! Just hope we've not forgotten anything!

The day has finally arrived... Fingers crossed we make it on board before last orders!!

As the flight was booked by Viking the online pre booking was unavailable 

I called Air Malta direct and was able to pre book our seats for about 20 euros each. Just give them the flight code given by Viking. 

I also booked Go First for 10 euros each which will allow you to board first which will ensure that you can take hand baggage rather than it possibly going into the hold if the flight is full. Our flight was full

We still had to check in at the airport because Air Malta need to check the paperwork however they only had a quick look to make sure we had our Vaccination certificates

Be prepared for a long snaking queue, about an hour, to leave the airport in Malta after you collect the baggage. All paperwork checked and they much preferred looking at the paperwork rather than the VeriFLY  app.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnCoffield said:

Hello. Has anyone from the UK been able to pre-book seats on the Air Malta flight leaving Heathrow at 10:50 on Oct 2nd? Can't seem to do this online.

Flew on this flight a couple of weeks ago, and was unable to do on line check in or pick seats. Viking advised that Air Malta were not allowing on line check in and everything had to be done at the airport. However I was able to check-in on line and pick seats for the return flight 24 hours before departure. I would recommend you try again on the outbound flight 24 hours before you are due to depart.

• Like 1

Well the eco terrorists didn't put a damper on things and arrived silly early (9am) for our previously cancelled 06.15 flight onto their 14.15 flight.

Well BA have struck again.

Looking at the board, all gates said when gate would be announced... With one exception.... Our flight... Which is showing so far as delayed for at least 1h40m.... I should have brought a sleeping bag.

I was so tempted to upgrade to an easyJet flight. Would have been waiting to board if had.

The only airline I ever seem to have problems with.... Well done BA.... 

ABBA in future

Edited by les37b

Hey general question for those of you on the Malta cruises. Did you need any paperwork/forms for the excursions in Italy, Greece etc?  Or are they not needed because Viking takes care of it?
Finally our large group is flying out of Barcelona (wonder if we need anything for Spain?) and transiting through Amsterdam.  We fly out about 4 hours later so do we need any type of Netherlands/Amsterdam forms?   Thanks all. 

9 hours ago, Famsw said:

Hey general question for those of you on the Malta cruises. Did you need any paperwork/forms for the excursions in Italy, Greece etc?  Or are they not needed because Viking takes care of it?
Finally our large group is flying out of Barcelona (wonder if we need anything for Spain?) and transiting through Amsterdam.  We fly out about 4 hours later so do we need any type of Netherlands/Amsterdam forms?   Thanks all. 

Other than Malta we’re only visiting ports in Croatia (since Montenegro was removed from itinerary following an increase in cases). We won’t know for certain until Wednesday as we’re still in Malta today and at sea tomorrow but I’d be very surprised if we needed any further paperwork for excursions. As Malta seem to be the toughest in the Mediterranean (and probably the whole of Europe) in terms of health requirements I reckon everywhere else will be OK.
Speaking of which, expect a long wait at Malta airport. Don’t be fooled by getting through passport control surprisingly quickly - after that you face a long snaking line around the baggage hall, through customs (with absolutely no checks) up to the health documentation checking desks. It took us between 30 and 45 minutes but apparently some days it takes over an hour. It depends mainly on how many flights arrive close together - for us it was 4 or 5. All we needed at the health check desk was passport, Passenger Locator Form and proof of vaccination. They seemed to prefer these in paper form rather than VeriFLY etc.
Bon voyage. 

• Like 1

Arrived safe and sound... And 1 Hour later than scheduled, so all restaurants were closed arriving after 9pm Had a lovely meal in the room.

Agree above re paperwork. After getting through passport control, I had a moan about all that paperwork and no one wanting to see them, then get round the corner... Bam. They checked them thoroughly, which is good.

We were incorrectly told you need to stay in your room until the PCR result was available. False. You are free to go as soon as you are on board. Just leave your sample. They don't tell you the result... But no news is good news.

Surprisingly I found the spit test this morning. Made me retch for some reason.

Malta and Croatia are free to DIY explore. 

There are 497 on board and 122 are from UK.

Breakfast awaits.

Edited by les37b