What no one's yet asked about "shorex only"

Bruin Steve

50 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Celebrity will make more money with the mandatory shore excursion needed to exit ship policy in place.  For this reason, I would not be surprised if they keep it in place.  

While I agree that Celebrity will make more money in the short term, I doubt that they would keep the policy in place for any extended period of time. JMO, but I think that too many passengers would rebel and look to other cruise lines.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

While I agree that Celebrity will make more money in the short term, I doubt that they would keep the policy in place for any extended period of time. JMO, but I think that too many passengers would rebel and look to other cruise lines.

Not to mention that -- given the scrutiny being given to cruise lines by certain ports -- I can't see this flying successfully in the long-term because local merchants would see even less benefit than currently from cruise passengers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

Celebrity will make more money with the mandatory shore excursion needed to exit ship policy in place.  For this reason, I would not be surprised if they keep it in place.  

But would they lose customers who refuse to sail with them? They will certainly make more money by requiring people to book directly through them, but how many potential customers would they eliminated by this policy?

I would imagine the profit from a booked cabin is better than the shore excursion profits. 

8 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

If Celebrity requires passengers to take ship sponsored tours, then every other cruise line will also have the same requirement.   If cruisers refuse to sail, they will be refusing to take cruises on any line.

In the short term, Celebrity and other lines will be restricting excursions as a COVID-related health protocol. When there is no further medical need for the restrictions, I believe that most/all will revert to open access to ports. and that there will definitely be alternatives to any line that decides to keep the restrictions in force for non-medical reasons. Passengers want to be able to enjoy ports in their own manner, not to be restricted to limited and generally over-priced ship excursions. 

We have a cruise on the Apex for January.  Getting off the ship is a big deal for us - without a Celebrity sponsored excursion.  One of the stops is Key West and part of taking this particular cruise is that we arrive in this port on Sunday morning so I am able to attend Mass that day.  If we cannot get off the ship - we will simply have to cancel the cruise.  My husband will also not be 'stuck' on a ship for 7 days.  We will see what happens.....

33 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

We have a cruise on the Apex for January.  Getting off the ship is a big deal for us - without a Celebrity sponsored excursion.  One of the stops is Key West and part of taking this particular cruise is that we arrive in this port on Sunday morning so I am able to attend Mass that day.  If we cannot get off the ship - we will simply have to cancel the cruise.  My husband will also not be 'stuck' on a ship for 7 days.  We will see what happens.....

If attending Mass is important to you, you might want to consider Holland America. They offer a daily Catholic mass on all of its cruises, as well as interdenominational services on Sundays. A Sabbath Eve service is also held each week.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 4:02 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

If Celebrity requires passengers to take ship sponsored tours, then every other cruise line will also have the same requirement.   If cruisers refuse to sail, they will be refusing to take cruises on any line.

I disagree - there will be alternatives to cruising with X wherein ship tours are not mandated.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:28 PM, Fouremco said:

In the short term, Celebrity and other lines will be restricting excursions as a COVID-related health protocol. When there is no further medical need for the restrictions, I believe that most/all will revert to open access to ports. and that there will definitely be alternatives to any line that decides to keep the restrictions in force for non-medical reasons. Passengers want to be able to enjoy ports in their own manner, not to be restricted to limited and generally over-priced ship excursions. 

Agree - in fact, NCL is already allowing DIY shore excursions depending on the protocols in each specific port. 

From the NCL website: 

Strategic Itinerary Development & Shore Partners

We constantly monitor the health environment across the globe and will modify or cancel itineraries to affected areas as needed.

Partners in Prevention

We’re partnering with our local destinations and tour operators to extend our comprehensive health & safety protocols to shore.

Beyond the Port

Guests are free to explore ports of call on their own, according to protocols in each specific port, and can purchase shore excursions as they wish.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#d4m1

IMHO, X would be shooting themselves in the foot if they mandate shore excursions through the ship when there is no longer a medical need.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If attending Mass is important to you, you might want to consider Holland America. They offer a daily Catholic mass on all of its cruises, as well as interdenominational services on Sundays. A Sabbath Eve service is also held each week.

Yes, it is important.  Celebrity used to have a priest on board and they went away from that at some point.  Thank you for the information, I didn't realize Holland was still doing that - how wonderful.

17 minutes ago, irvington said:

Just curious if anyone has seen any updates about shore excursions will be handled?

Anything they announce now is likely to change between now and any particular sailing, and possibly from one sailing to another, just like Celebrity had three different versions of their pre-cruise testing requirements over the past week or so.

Best to wait until you get a communication for your specific sailing, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for frustration and/or anger when something they announce now later changes for your sailing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Anything they announce now is likely to change between now and any particular sailing, and possibly from one sailing to another, just like Celebrity had three different versions of their pre-cruise testing requirements over the past week or so.

Best to wait until you get a communication for your specific sailing, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for frustration and/or anger when something they announce now later changes for your sailing.

Good point, I'm trying to cultivate and keep a "Roll with it" attitude. When it is time to sign up for ship excursions I will just have to focus on whether I can get out of them later if the rules change.

Not sure why this isn’t on this thread, but CruiseCritic itself is reporting passengers can take private tours and step off the ship on their own. Must be vaccinated, which is also required to even get on the ship.

I assume most are aware of this, but just in case….

13 May 2021: “In the updated rules for the resumption of cruises, the CDC says cruise ship operators "at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that -- if they are fully vaccinated -- they may gather or conduct activities outdoors, including engaging in extended meal service or beverage consumption, without wearing a mask except in crowded settings."

The CDC further says cruise lines may allow fully vaccinated passengers to explore ports on their own. The agency says those who are vaccinated "may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors."

The CDC notes, however, that foreign countries could have their own requirements concerning independent port exploration.”

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, cantstopingcruising said:

We are hoping to do our usual b2b Caribbean cruises this winter.

At ports, we get off the ship to walk around the area. That's it. If we couldn't do that, I don't think we would cruise.  We would be stuck on the ship for 21 days!  We don't need anymore tours in the islands!

Being stuck on a ship for 21 days sounds wonderful to me at the moment, but I do not cruise the Caribbean...Europe is my favorite place to cruise because I love getting off the ship in all of the lovely ports.  It is what it is until it isn't!  I am tired of canceling cruises, as the Galapagos was the last one scheduled in late June on Flora.  The next two are in the fall with a b2b/TA from Europe. My glass is still half full, and my spirit isn't broken by any means.  The crystal ball says that b2b cruises will slowly return this year...

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Not sure why this isn’t on this thread, but CruiseCritic itself is reporting passengers can take private tours and step off the ship on their own...

The whole article: Requirements For Vaccinated Passengers, Allows Independent Shore Trips

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Not sure why this isn’t on this thread, but CruiseCritic itself is reporting passengers can take private tours and step off the ship on their own. Must be vaccinated, which is also required to even get on the ship.

You're kinda mixing up two different concepts.  As of now, "must be vaccinated" only applies to Apex out of Greece and Millennium out of St. Maarten, and the CDC has no jurisdiction over these itineraries because they don't touch a U.S. port. 

Each port can still set its own rules about whether passengers can debark outside of Celebrity excursions or break off from those excursions on their own.  And Greece and St. Maarten could even trump the destination ports by telling Celebrity you're not going to homeport here if you don't keep guests to Celebrity excursions in other ports.

So while it would be nice if the Apex and Millennium ports all followed CDC guidance, they're certainly not required to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

You're kinda mixing up two different concepts. …….

No idea what your referring to. See the reference Host Kat posted.and I specifically stated ports can set their own rules. 

den

9 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

No idea what your referring to. See the reference Host Kat posted.and I specifically stated ports can set their own rules. 

den

I think that they (the OP) were referring to a foreign based cruise where the CDC does not write the rules ...

47 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

den

The context of the original post and the first whole page of this thread is Apex sailings out of Greece.

8 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

of now, "must be vaccinated" only applies to Apex out of Greece and Millennium out of St. Maarten, and the CDC has no jurisdiction over these itineraries because they don't touch a U.S. port. 

Add Silhouette too, not allowed to book a round Britain coastal cruise, unless British and fully vaccinated.

Edited by upwarduk