Country Green Light List

Huggsy

Yesterday's statement from the U.K. government announcing countries that we'll be allowed to visit without quarantine was completely pointless and a waste of time. And it certainly doesn't look promising for the cruising industry to kick off further afield beyond the Summer Staycation voyages. Countries on the Amber list may as well be on Red.

I'm booked on the Queen Victoria on 17th Sept, Med cruise from Southampton; with no time frame given alongside these new restrictions I'm preparing myself for yet another cancellation. 😢

I thought so too, it was always likely to be a very small list initially. 

There is lots of time for things to change between now and September. Cunard has made lots of changes since last February, there may be more on the way.

13 hours ago, Huggsy said:

Yesterday's statement from the U.K. government announcing countries that we'll be allowed to visit without quarantine was completely pointless and a waste of time. And it certainly doesn't look promising for the cruising industry to kick off further afield beyond the Summer Staycation voyages. Countries on the Amber list may as well be on Red.

I'm booked on the Queen Victoria on 17th Sept, Med cruise from Southampton; with no time frame given alongside these new restrictions I'm preparing myself for yet another cancellation. 😢

Can you post a link to the list, please. 

Although Americans can visit many destinations not on UK’s new GREEN list, conditions imposed on American visitors are quite complicated.

This May 7 New York Times article lists numerous countries Americans may currently visit.  It focuses mainly on different types of restrictions that visitors face for each of the countries.   For instance, it's easier for Americans  to visit Britain than Ireland due to dissimilar requirements.

coronavirus-travel-restrictions

Edited by Jim9310
link

I still find the lists to be smoke and mirrors. The uncertainty puts people off thinking about travel

Why they can't say to be a certain colour you need

Infections below X per 100,000

Test Positivity  rate below Y%

Infection going down.

Etc

Instead we get a list but no way of knowing what to look at to see how things are moving . In the media you have talk of France going green , when they still have over 200 cases per 100, 000.  If we knew the target was as last year under 20 per 100,000 (which is where UK got to last week) a quick look at the rate of decline in France would say a few months yet ,similiary for USA despite it's  high vaccination rate. We could all make better decisions, a better idea of risks we are taking.

The lists are quite odd and inconsistent.

For example the US CDC list shows both Israel and the UK as 'Very High' COVID risk - and sites like Bloomberg's Vaccine Tracker and Worldometer COVID info show these are places where vaccines are keeping new cases quite low [much better than the US].

Looks like the placement is not governed by actual [measurable] risk, but more by 'management' input or override.

22 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The lists are quite odd and inconsistent.

For example the US CDC list shows both Israel and the UK as 'Very High' COVID risk - and sites like Bloomberg's Vaccine Tracker and Worldometer COVID info show these are places where vaccines are keeping new cases quite low [much better than the US].

Looks like the placement is not governed by actual [measurable] risk, but more by 'management' input or override.

The UK green list seems more logical, but a I said just wish they'd be transparent with the criteria for each colour. It's as If they want the ability for management override as you put it.

The red list seems to have a large element of we don't trust the statistics from many of these countries. Perhaps they have to keep that level of reasoning quiet

On 5/9/2021 at 4:15 PM, TheOldBear said:

Perhaps it changed since your post but currently the list/map shows Israel as Moderate and the UK as High while the US is color-coded as Very High.

Do we think Cunard will extend the summer staycation cruises this winter and cancel all other cruises? 

Obviously a lot of time between now and October but I am unable to see them having there cruises if the traffic light system on where we can travel continues 

9 minutes ago, aday10 said:

Do we think Cunard will extend the summer staycation cruises this winter and cancel all other cruises? 

Obviously a lot of time between now and October but I am unable to see them having there cruises if the traffic light system on where we can travel continues 

I hope not due to having a cruise booked on QV in November. Having said that I do not think the summer staycation cruises would be popular sailing around the UK during the winter period and do not think there would be much demand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, majortom10 said:

I hope not due to having a cruise booked on QV in November. Having said that I do not think the summer staycation cruises would be popular sailing around the UK during the winter period and do not think there would be much demand.

Of course you don’t want the cruise being cancelled, fingers crossed it won’t be! 

I want to book a 5 night cruise in December on QM2 but I fear it will not be going ahead. 

I really don’t care if the cruise goes no where, I just want to be back on them! 

• Like 2