What type of clothes for dinner on Avalon cruise

Travelw

We were on one river cruise a couple of years ago.  On that river cruise it was very casual for dinner, jeans and maybe long sleeve shirt.  Is this typical for river cruises or just a casual crowd on that sailing.

Thanks 

Dennis

It does I think depend on which company you cruise with. Scenic like the euphemistic smart casual, once a man turned up in shorts, for dinner the cruise director attempted to ask him to change. He completely refused  other cruisers were not impressed I think his attitude caused more grief than anything. CA

18 minutes ago, Travelw said:

We were on one river cruise a couple of years ago.  On that river cruise it was very casual for dinner, jeans and maybe long sleeve shirt.  Is this typical for river cruises or just a casual crowd on that sailing.

Thanks 

Dennis

I don't recall seeing many denim blue jeans, but I'm sure there were some.  More jean cut colored pants, khaki-type, or linen. Shirts were collared polo style or button up. Both length sleeves, as it was summer.

This is from the Avalon FAQ.

Clothing & Dress Code
Your comfort is our first concern. Onboard and onshore dress codes are casual. Please bring comfortable walking shoes for sightseeing. Dinner attire is casual—open-neck shirts and slacks for men; slacks, skirts, or dresses for ladies. Coats and ties may be worn if preferred. The Welcome and Farewell Dinners in Europe are dressy, but not formal. On the Mekong, Ganges, Amazon, and Galápagos, dress attire, including coats and ties, is not recommended due to the warm, humid climate.

Our Avalon cruise had a mix, but most were casual.  It was in early May, and warm.  They requested no shorts in the dining room, but other than that, that was it.  Most wore capris or light pants, and dressy t-shirts (think nice v necked, or scoop necked, not the regular type) or golf shirts.  Avalon is really about casual comfort, but the service and food were outstanding.  Some did dress up a bit for the Welcome & Farewell dinners, but they took in mind that people had been or would be travelling (and for the Farwell dinner, some just got back from excursions) so they didn't stress it.  I think I saw one guy in a suit and tie (but he was celebrating an anniversary so that could have something to do with it), and maybe one or two suit jackets, but can't really remember seeing many dresses.  I packed mostly sleeveless tops with a light sweater to wear overtop, so that got me through all meals, and met "dressy" or not. DH wore golf shirts and pants.