Royal Navy Dockyard

TYTY

Hi first time visiting Bermuda.  Docking at the Royal Navy Dockyard...can we just walk off the ship and wander around or is it a "working" port and you need transportation to go anywhere?

21 minutes ago, TYTY said:

Hi first time visiting Bermuda.  Docking at the Royal Navy Dockyard...can we just walk off the ship and wander around or is it a "working" port and you need transportation to go anywhere?

You can walk off the ship and wander. The Royal Naval Dockyard is a cruise ship port. All the shops, restaurants and attractions at the Dockyard are geared to cruise ship passengers. There is transportation available to go to other parts of Bermuda and I would urge you venture beyond the tourist area. Bermuda has history and beautiful beaches.

https://www.gotobermuda.com

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, Charles4515 said:

You can walk off the ship and wander. The Royal Naval Dockyard is a cruise ship port. All the shops, restaurants and attractions at the Dockyard are geared to cruise ship passengers. There is transportation available to go to other parts of Bermuda and I would urge you venture beyond the tourist area. Bermuda has history and beautiful beaches.

https://www.gotobermuda.com

I last visited Bermuda when the Royal Naval Dockyard was still an active Navy base, so I'm looking forward to re-visiting to see all of the changes now that it's a cruise port.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bermuda is my very favorite port of call.  Here are suggestions on things to do there:

1.  Take a taxi to Somerset Bridge Watersports https://bdawatersports.com

and rent a Boston Whaler.  Make a stop at Somerset Long Bay beach and snorkel with the turtles.

2.  Take the bus to Horseshoe Beach.  Be sure to find the area where you can feed the fish, and then walk all the way to the left and beyond the huge limestone rocks to find the most beautiful, private areas to watch the waves come in.

3.  Take a Rising Sun snorkel tour from the Dockyard Tour Center.  http://www.risingsoncruises.com/tours/  Lots of fun!

4.  If you’re a golfer, bring your clubs and go to Port Royal or Turtle Hill (par 3) at the Fairmont Southampton.  Book through https://www.golfnow.com.

If you’re not big on golf, go to the mini golf right at the Dockyards.  All courses (even the mini golf) overlook the ocean or bay, and have spectacular views!

5.  Take the ferry from the Dockyards to St. Georges.  Then take a bus to the Crystal Caves.  From there, walk to the Swizzle Inn for a pitcher of rum swizzles and lunch. Their motto is “Swizzle Inn, swagger out.”

• Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 3:18 PM, SueMo said:

Bermuda is my very favorite port of call.  Here are suggestions on things to do there:

1.  Take a taxi to Somerset Bridge Watersports https://bdawatersports.com

and rent a Boston Whaler.  Make a stop at Somerset Long Bay beach and snorkel with the turtles.

2.  Take the bus to Horseshoe Beach.  Be sure to find the area where you can feed the fish, and then walk all the way to the left and beyond the huge limestone rocks to find the most beautiful, private areas to watch the waves come in.

3.  Take a Rising Sun snorkel tour from the Dockyard Tour Center.  http://www.risingsoncruises.com/tours/  Lots of fun!

4.  If you’re a golfer, bring your clubs and go to Port Royal or Turtle Hill (par 3) at the Fairmont Southampton.  Book through https://www.golfnow.com.

If you’re not big on golf, go to the mini golf right at the Dockyards.  All courses (even the mini golf) overlook the ocean or bay, and have spectacular views!

5.  Take the ferry from the Dockyards to St. Georges.  Then take a bus to the Crystal Caves.  From there, walk to the Swizzle Inn for a pitcher of rum swizzles and lunch. Their motto is “Swizzle Inn, swagger out.”

Everything in the docklands is walkable distance.

If you go to Horseshoe Beach, watch for Man o war. They were everywhere and in the seaweed that washed up on the beach. You can rent an umbrella and chairs. They have a snack bar near where you enter with food and drinks.

The swizzle Inn is not close to the dockyard. We would love to go there, but will have to grab a taxi next time.

Definitely take the free ferry to St. George's. Check out the show they do in the Square where they do a reenactment of drunkenness or stealing, but it's fun to watch. Not quite sure of the show.

Check out the white horse & pub restaurant in St. George's.  It's right on the water.  Remember to get a rum swizzle! 

In the dockyard check out the frog and onion pub. Check out the dockyard pharmacy,  and head to where they make food in the pharmacy.... try the local wahoo fish sandwich or a hot pastry dog, both were very good. Get a picture next to the 2 story pink Europe style bus.

In the dockyard we saw scooters for rent. Plenty of taxis.

We did these tours through NCL. We saw homes of famous people, a tour that took us to Gibbs hill lighthouse and other places, Bermuda triangle evening tour (bring a jacket!), and my favorite was a rum sunset cruise (served us rum like sailors, kept them coming).

1 hour ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

If you go to Horseshoe Beach, watch for Man o war. They were everywhere and in the seaweed that washed up on the beach. You can rent an umbrella and chairs. They have a snack bar near where you enter with food and drinks.

The Man o War are usually there in May and June. The lifeguards pick them up off the beach and also warn swimmers if there is a swarm.

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The Man o War are usually there in May and June. The lifeguards pick them up off the beach and also warn swimmers if there is a swarm.

Yes 1 person was picking them up. But there were so many on the beach, you couldn't get to the water. That 1 person couldn't get them all.

Just warning people if they go, and especially with kids.

Also, no one on the beach warmed us, just a sign posted that you could miss. Only reason I saw it was because I was taking photos.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Yes 1 person was picking them up. But there were so many on the beach, you couldn't get to the water. That 1 person couldn't get them all.

Just warning people if they go, and especially with kids.

Also, no one on the beach warmed us, just a sign posted that you could miss. Only reason I saw it was because I was taking photos.

That is not usual. I have been there 25-30 times and have only not been able to get in the water twice for about ten minutes during a day. There were only a few on the beach. You must have had bad luck to be there when the winds blew in a swarm. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, epanchenko said:

I went to Horseshoe Bay yesterday, I paid $10 for umbrella, and $10 for a lounger.

Thank you for the report back. I would guess when large scale cruising to Bermuda returns the prices will change again.

• Like 1