Western Med Cruise in early November with kids

flyingmonk

Hi Folks

Before creating the topic, I researched the forum, but couldn't get what I am looking for.

I have booked a cruise next year sailing in early part of November (usual Italy, France and Spain rounds) with MSC. Its gonna be vacation with kids (5 and 7). Did I make a mistake? Would it be too cold for the kids to enjoy. Would the day time be too short? Would the pools be too cold even to touch with the toe? Would it be too windy and choppy seas?

Anyone did such cruise with kids? If its too bad, I might as well cancel.

Thanks for your responses.

I would be googling for climate data for your ports, and visiting the ports of call boards here at CC.  I’m thinking early November is not beach or pool weather, but I haven’t been in the Mediterranean in November.  EM

We did those ports on Norwegian over the Christmas holiday one year when my twins were 5.  Besides one very rainy day in Rome (but it seems to rain every time we're in Rome, including the summer), the weather was fantastic for seeing Europe with kids.  SO much better than in the summer, when the heat and crowds create more whining opportunities.  That said, yes, it was cool for swimming, but on this itinerary, it was more about the ports than what's available on the ship.  The ship was really just where we ate breakfast, dinner and slept.  On our one sea day, the kids didn't care about the weather and went swimming anyway.  

Edited by Kerry's Girls

Thanks Essiesmom and Kerry's Girls for your replies. That's encouraging. 

@Kerry's Girlsdo you remember sea being choppy? I am worried about sea sickness. Also, if you had done in balcony, is it something of use in Nov weather? I am holding a balcony cabin. Downgrading it to a Oceanview would sure save some good bucks.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:22 PM, flyingmonk said:

Thanks Essiesmom and Kerry's Girls for your replies. That's encouraging. 

@Kerry's Girlsdo you remember sea being choppy? I am worried about sea sickness. Also, if you had done in balcony, is it something of use in Nov weather? I am holding a balcony cabin. Downgrading it to a Oceanview would sure save some good bucks.

We did have a balcony because we had a larger suite shared with a friend, but used it very little.  The thing with a Europe cruise is you are in the room so little (basically on waking and when going to bed) because days are spent exploring.  If it had saved money, I definitely would rather spend the $ on private tours over a balcony - unless you want it for fresh air if you're concerned about seasickness.  Sea was very choppy one night, but we crossed over to Egypt, so it may have been that day.  Depending on your itinerary, our ship was mostly moving only at night, mostly during sleeping hours.

• 1 month later...

There are 2 websites that I use when putting information together for clients: wunderground dot com and worldweatheronline dot com. In both of them, once you find your city/area there is a way to find historical weather for a certain date. What I would do is do put in the date you will be in that port and look at the weather in that port for  past 3 years or so. Worldweatheronline is a bit better because when you get to the portion that is historical you put in a date and it will give you the weather for that date for several years whereas on wunderground you will need to keep changing the date (year). Please note that the buttons to get the historical weather is somewhat buried at times, so you will need to scroll down until you find it.

• 2 weeks later...