Covid testing to get to foreign port

SSFun

I have been looking and unable to find info about whether NCL will pay for the Covid test required to fly to Jamaica. I know they say that they will do a rapid test before you board the ship (and have found that they will do the test required for you to board your plane home), but that seems silly if you need to be tested to get on the plane and then again to get on the ship. Insurance companies are beginning to restrict Covid testing (not paying if the test is for a job, school, sports, travel, etc.). Has anyone found information on if NCL will pay for the test we will need to board the plane to Jamaica or the Dominican? Or if we do have to fork out the $100 - $150 cost of the test and can present the results at the ship can we forgo the rapid test there?

I don't know if they have said; but typically the cruise line doesn't pay costs needed to get to the port. So passport, visa, vaccinations, etc. So I don't know why they would pay for the covid test you need to get to the port. 

I think that for the foreseeable future, covid testing is just going to become part of the travel cost like flights or passport costs. We are planning a land trip two two countries in the fall and we will have to get covid tested before we leave, between the countries, and then again to come home. Think that is just the way it is going to be for now. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SSFun said:

I have been looking and unable to find info about whether NCL will pay for the Covid test required to fly to Jamaica. I know they say that they will do a rapid test before you board the ship (and have found that they will do the test required for you to board your plane home), but that seems silly if you need to be tested to get on the plane and then again to get on the ship. Insurance companies are beginning to restrict Covid testing (not paying if the test is for a job, school, sports, travel, etc.). Has anyone found information on if NCL will pay for the test we will need to board the plane to Jamaica or the Dominican? Or if we do have to fork out the $100 - $150 cost of the test and can present the results at the ship can we forgo the rapid test there?

Not required for the DR.

https://www.drtravelcenter.com/questions/do-travelers-need-to-present-a-mandatory-negative-covid-19-test-upon-arrival/

• Like 1

The Bahamas has already dropped their testing requirement if you are fully vaccinated in advance of the Royal Caribbean sailings out of Nassau. I suspect that Jamaica will follow suit before the NCL sailings start up from Montego Bay in August.

• Like 1

You can get a free covid test at Walgreens and CVS. I need one to go on a land vacation to Namibia in June, and I plan to use Walgreens. Just be sure to find out which one Jamaica requires, PCR or antigen. The time to get results back differs, much longer for the PCR test.

• Like 1

I believe that the testing requirement for Jamaica runs through June 30th currently. Hopefully, by the time cruises begin there in August, just being vaccinated will be sufficient. We'll see...

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The Bahamas has already dropped their testing requirement if you are fully vaccinated in advance of the Royal Caribbean sailings out of Nassau. I suspect that Jamaica will follow suit before the NCL sailings start up from Montego Bay in August.

Greece has done the same. Fully vaccinated for at least 14 days means no test required. Unfortunately for the time being we'll still need a negative test for coming back to the US, unless we've had and recovered from the virus within the previous 90 days.