May 12, 2021 CDC hearing set to start at 9:00am

The first hearing of the State of Florida vs CDC is set for 9:00am this morning at the federal court in Tampa.  Channel 8 WFLA Tampa will be at the court house to report as it unfolds. 

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/floridas-lawsuit-over-cdc-cruise-orders-goes-before-judge-wednesday/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, 100viper said:

Big day today. I’m truly interested to see which way this goes. 

Very little chance of success in any way or form. The case is extremely weak and FL lacks the legal standing. There will be no testimony today. And all the memos and argument have already been submitted. No statements are expected. Will likely be garden variety unceremonious lawyering. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Very little chance of success in any way or form. The case is extremely weak and FL lacks the legal standing. There will be no testimony today. And all the memos and argument have already been submitted. No statements are expected. Will likely be garden variety unceremonious lawyering. 

I stayed at the Holiday Inn express last night.....so I am highly qualified to say that the chance of the court moving this along is very possible, considering it is Florida, impacts a billion dollar industry that votes to put the judge in office. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I stayed at the Holiday Inn express last night.....so I am highly qualified to say that the chance of the court moving this along is very possible, considering it is Florida, impacts a billion dollar industry that votes to put the judge in office. 

Why the State of Florida Will Lose Its Motion for Preliminary Injunction Against the CDC Tomorrow | Cruise Law News

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, coldflame said:

Jim Walker is not always right. He doesn't even have the correct town or court -- stating it is happening in Orlando when in fact it is in Federal Court in Tampa not Orlando.  He's published the incorrect facts on several platforms. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Jim Walker is not always right. He doesn't even have the correct town or court -- stating it is happening in Orlando when in fact it is in Federal Court in Tampa not Orlando.  He's published the incorrect facts on several platforms. 

That as it may, his analysis based on the complaint and memo is 100% spot on. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Are you a lawyer. I keep reading this from what seems like 100s of posters. I wonder how many know because they have legal backgrounds and how many are just saying what others say. 

So many medical and legal and financial experts. .. lol though I put myself into the last category.

Just hard to believe we have so many lawyers posting they know for sure florida has no standing.

Myself .. I'm doubting we will have a outcome today, but one can hope. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Are you a lawyer. I keep reading this from what seems like 100s of posters. I wonder how many know because they have legal backgrounds and how many are just saying what others say. 

So many medical and legal and financial experts. .. lol though I put myself into the last category.

Just hard to believe we have so many lawyers posting they know for sure florida has no standing.

Myself .. I'm doubting we will have a outcome today, but one can hope. 

Not a lawyer. You don't have to be. Just common sense and reading both the case and the response memo by CDC. It's really simple a Federal judge won't vacate protocols set forth by a government agency who's authority is public health -- in as economically inconvenient as that might be to the cruise industry.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, coldflame said:

The CDC isn't suing FL. So the CDC doesn't "win". A better way to say this is: "if FL loses ..."

I guess my wording may have been backward.  Florida says they are losing money because the CDC won't allow ships to sail from their ports.  Is that correct?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I guess my wording may have been backward.  Florida says they are losing money because the CDC won't allow ships to sail from their ports.  Is that correct?

Florida joined by Alaska and Texas.  Florida is also arguing that the CDC is creating a loophole whereby Americans can fly to the Caribbean, take a cruise and fly back into the United States without having to quarantine.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That "article" is so shot through with errors and ridiculous assumptions, I'd be embarrassed to put my name to it. The whole g-d thing is a joke!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

That "article" is so shot through with errors and ridiculous assumptions, I'd be embarrassed to put my name to it. The whole g-d thing is a joke!

He's been getting a bit sloppy lately.  Big cases have been going to other maritime attorneys.  

4 minutes ago, coldflame said:

No live streaming, unfortunately. Local news outlets have people there and said will be providing updates as things unfold.

Maybe Jim can teleport it from Tampa to Orlando to Miami and live stream it on his blog.  🤪

Edited by livingonthebeach