Ambassador Cruise Lines "Ambience" (Ex-CMV)

Having booked a Greenland cruise with Ambassador, I've started an Ambassador topic on the 'Other Cruise lines' forum.

I did hesitate before booking because of the comments on this forum, but as the price for 3 weeks in a single outside cabin was less than the cost of a single inside on a 14 day cruise on my usual choice of Fred Olsen, and the cruise visits multiple Greenland ports while Fred only goes to 3 which I've already been to, I decided to give it a try. I've never been on CMV.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Li-shan said:

Having booked a Greenland cruise with Ambassador, I've started an Ambassador topic on the 'Other Cruise lines' forum.

I did hesitate before booking because of the comments on this forum, but as the price for 3 weeks in a single outside cabin was less than the cost of a single inside on a 14 day cruise on my usual choice of Fred Olsen, and the cruise visits multiple Greenland ports while Fred only goes to 3 which I've already been to, I decided to give it a try. I've never been on CMV.

Yes, the launch prices for solo pax with Ambassador are very good. Conversely, Fred's solo prices are horrendous at the moment, often between £200 and £250 per day. Ambassador are offering interesting itineraries too.

I sailed once with CMV and had a good, traditional cruise which was also good value. I'm hoping Ambassador will expand soon and provide some competition for Fred Olsen.

I've booked one of the Christmas Markets cruises. Would have booked something longer if I didn't have two cruises already booked for next year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those irritated that CMV went bust owing lots of money to lots of people and appears to have come back as Ambassador, same people, databases and apparently premises, I would just remind you of SunWorld which became JMC which became Thomas Cook, which is now Sunny Heart Travel, all with much the same management team and each time leaving a wake of unpaid debts and, in the case of Thomas Cook, the most people stranded abroad since Dunkirk. Then there was Freddie Laker who started his travel consultancy business in a plush central London office the very next day after Laker Airways went bust. The travel industry is littered with such examples. 

We have to welcome Ambassador and hope their client-account trust arrangements and insurances are adequate. It did strike me however that they are currently little more than a website, a printed brochure with the same content and one person answering the phone and emails!

I am used to bargain repositioning cruises so I don't find Ambassador's fares as low as others have. 

We have taken the plunge on Ambassador and I have started a roll call for that cruise linked to in my signature. No joiners so far but sales appear to be going well with many categories of cabin sold out. The lady on the phone, Sarah, I spoke to said the longer duration cruises were selling very well. Perhaps that CMV database has already paid for itself? 

There 'Early Bird Savings' period finished tomorrow at 8pm. It will be interesting to see what offer replaces it. 

Edited by Skipper Tim
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2021 at 4:19 AM, PrincessPete said:

It is interesting reading the blurb on the reincarnated CMV cruise line (now called Ambassador) website where there is no reference to being ABTA members (or with an application pending).

I presume anyone who books through a Travel Agent would be protected by the TA’s own ABTA membership.

Ambassador apparently have their own insurance which presumably (if they remain solvent) protects direct bookings. Were they to fold, however, where does that leave those booking direct?

Based in Purfleet I guess they are even using CMV’s old premises.

Doubtless many people who are oblivious to the background will book the attractive looking itineraries.

Along with many friends we will not be amongst them.

Americans who had to book thru CMV stateside agent had no protection at all.  Case went to bankruptcy court and everyone had to fight for whatever they could get.

• 2 months later...

I see from Marinetraffic that she's in the Viktor Lenac shipyard in Croatia.  News on her seems elusive, but I found a Tweet showing her at the end of October.  She still has Satoshi on her bow, but her lifeboats are removed so work must be taking place.  I've read online it is meant to be finished in February.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 2:34 PM, Li-shan said:

Usually cruise with Princess but Greenland has been on my bucket list for years but their cruises there only visit two ports.   Destination is more important to me now so am waiting for my usual TA to get back to me re the 21 night June 2022 cruise.  I share your concerns about the viability of a new company so will pay by credit card.

• 4 weeks later...

I see the second ship has been revealed and will be called Ambition. She is the ex AidaMira and CostaNeoRiviera.

She will join in 2023 and offer regional departures from Newcastle, Dundee and Liverpool as well as increased sailings from Tilbury.

https://www.cruiseandferry.net/articles/ambassador-cruise-line-purchases-second-ship

Edited by gstewart
  • Like 1

Been searching the Internet to see what the progress on the Ambience.  On MarineTraffic she is still in the floating dry dock at Rijeka in Croatia.  Found this photo from December.  They've stripped the hull back to the bare steel, so looks like she is getting a complete repaint.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=3371610

I wonder how her interiors are looking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for passing along these images of work in progress on Ambassador Ambience. I’ve been holding off booking the 06APR Inaugural as I’ve awaited updated entry regulations into UK (I’m traveling from the former United States) and looked for updates regarding Ambience’s refurbishment. Realizing some history with regard to the makeup of Ambassador’s Management, I have some hesitancy. Still, I’ve long wanted to sail in one of these distinctive ships and with her sister scrapped, I’m quite eager. I think it’s a mistake for Ambassador to not share more details and images of Ambience’s refurbishment (at a lesser-known shipyard). Does anyone know if CMV’s fleet were also serviced at this yard in Croatia?

My kind regards, Park

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the question about CMV maintenance, the Greek owners/associates used to take her to Damen shipyards in Amsterdam.
The new company doesn't have this tie so have chosen Croatia at the moment. AIDAmira/Ambition is currently moored in Pula, which is only a few miles from Rijeka, so perhaps we can speculate that she will be going there shortly.
I also understand that the maiden voyage is now sold out.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 10:59 PM, DaveDobbin said:

In response to the question about CMV maintenance, the Greek owners/associates used to take her to Damen shipyards in Amsterdam.
The new company doesn't have this tie so have chosen Croatia at the moment. AIDAmira/Ambition is currently moored in Pula, which is only a few miles from Rijeka, so perhaps we can speculate that she will be going there shortly.
I also understand that the maiden voyage is now sold out.

Looking at their website, there is still availability on the Maiden Cruise in some cabin categories. It does look heavily booked though.

Thank you DaveDobbin. I took a leap of faith and booked a solo balcony cabin- at considerable expense- on the maiden voyage shortly after my post. I look for relevant info about progress on her renovation near daily. There is little more than scant propaganda and happy-talk on their Facebook page. I remain concerned and highly skeptical that she’ll be prepared to leave the shipyard in time for her 06APR voyage from Tilbury.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, parkhd said:

Thank you DaveDobbin. I took a leap of faith and booked a solo balcony cabin- at considerable expense- on the maiden voyage shortly after my post. I look for relevant info about progress on her renovation near daily. There is little more than scant propaganda and happy-talk on their Facebook page. I remain concerned and highly skeptical that she’ll be prepared to leave the shipyard in time for her 06APR voyage from Tilbury.

Hi parkhd,

we are also booked on the maiden voyage, and also getting a bit jittery as to weather the ambiance will be ready.

The “My Ambassador Sailing” part of there website was meant to me ready in February, but can see that some bit now say March, one one bit still says February.

I keep seeing jazzy posts on their instagram and Linkdin about who they have recruited, apparently their new captain is on board already, so hopefully it might be on its way soon.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, parkhd said:

I'm on a fb group for Ambassador, which is very active. Someone has recently posted a photo of her exterior, which is now very nicely painted in her new livery. They have appointed a well-known entertainment company who work with a number of cruise lines and the troupe has been in rehearsal for some weeks now. A Cruise Director has also been appointed and I understand the cruise staff has recently had a few days leave to get everything ready to join the ship for the duration of their contract. It certainly seems all-systems-go.

If you are on you-know-what that cannot be mentioned on this site, search groups for cruising with ambassador...

I did see pics on the fb page showing her propellers and words claiming it was her last night in drydock. I want to believe! I’m set to fly from Hawai’i and back for a short maiden voyage. Fingers continue to be tightly crossed (which becomes painful and prevents me from doing everyday activities 😉

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 8:45 PM, parkhd said:

I did see pics on the fb page showing her propellers and words claiming it was her last night in drydock. I want to believe! I’m set to fly from Hawai’i and back for a short maiden voyage. Fingers continue to be tightly crossed (which becomes painful and prevents me from doing everyday activities 😉

She's out of dry dock and berthed alongside. Believe...😀

FB_IMG_1647624142923.jpg

On 3/20/2022 at 4:31 AM, Britboys said:

She's out of dry dock and berthed alongside. Believe...😀

FB_IMG_1647624142923.jpg

I wished you were right, but no.

And I assure everyone that mgmt has known for quite some time they would push back / cancel sailings but first had to determine their policies, provisioning and secure port call dates among many considerations. I fully appreciate supply issues and this awful war but this is a smear on Ambassador Cruise Line’s new name. Given their failure as CMV, they truly needed to take into consideration any possible delay. I can’t rebook for the two week delay of the Maiden Voyage. I’ll now await first impressions of her first cruises before deciding if I’ll even use the paltry 10% off a future sailing Ambassador is offering. 

• Like 1