Ambassador Cruise Lines "Ambience" (Ex-CMV)

I did look into one of the early Norwegian cruises. I called to ask a few simple questions and the person I spoke with didn't know the answers to any of them. She did take my number and promised I would get a call back. They didn't and I'm relieved to say I didn't jump a leap of faith and booked something that wasn't a gamble and undoubtably better value on a superior line for near the same price. So glad I heard the alarm bells and didn't get answers. It would need glowing reviews to even contemplate booking now.

Edited by les37b
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, les37b said:

I did look into one of the early Norwegian cruises. I called to ask a few simple questions and the person I spoke with didn't know the answers to any of them. She did take my number and promised I would get a call back. They didn't and I'm relieved to say I didn't jump a leap of faith and booked something that wasn't a gamble and undoubtably better value on a superior line for near the same price. So glad I heard the alarm bells and didn't get answers. It would need glowing reviews to even contemplate booking now.

Useful to know Les - Good idea to phone and see what the customer service is like before booking - I hate it when people say they will get back to you and then don’t bother.

Service may be  better on board - it often is.
I’m looking forward to reports from the first cruise.

Edited by paulatsea

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

Useful to know Les - Good idea to phone and see what the customer service is like before booking - I hate it when people say they will get back to you and then don’t bother.

Fair point. My preferred cruise line Silversea very often let themselves down with bad marketing and very poor communications, but onboard I cannot praise the officers and all crew highly enough. Having returned from South America in Jan after my wife caught COVID and spent 10 days in quarantine and an unintended extended stay onboard (from 16 to 25 nights!) I cannot express my praise more highly for the care given and gratefully received. They certainly went above and beyond. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 11:20 AM, paulatsea said:

I'm on a 'Faceache' group for Ambassador and the Customer Service Team has been getting a pretty good press on that recently.

Ambience is currently in Bar, Montenegro, berthed just opposite sister-ship Ambition.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 1:03 PM, paulatsea said:

Hi all - What are the testing requirements for the Ambience cruises ? Do they organise it all at Tilbury ?

Like most lines, they have decided not to carry out LFT's at the port. Currently, they are sending out complimentary test kits to pax home address and you have to do a test 48 hours before boarding and report it online. They have partnered with Chronomics.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Like most lines, they have decided not to carry out LFT's at the port. Currently, they are sending out complimentary test kits to pax home address and you have to do a test 48 hours before boarding and report it online. They have partnered with Chronomics.

Thanks Britboys

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Anyone on board now ? How is it going ?

Sadly not on board but am in a Social Media group with many who are. There have been the usual teething problems but there are some very positive comments about the ship, service and food. I did go down to Tilbury/Gravesend yesterday to watch her go off and will post a photo or two here later.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Sadly not on board but am in a Social Media group with many who are. There have been the usual teething problems but there are some very positive comments about the ship, service and food. I did go down to Tilbury/Gravesend yesterday to watch her go off and will post a photo or two here later.

Thanks Britboys - I was following the departure on cruise mapper - glad to hear some positive news - would love to hear how it’s going and see some photos.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, paulatsea said:

Thanks Britboys - I was following the departure on cruise mapper - glad to hear some positive news - would love to hear how it’s going and see some photos.

Here are a few of the shots I got of her on Wednesday at Tilbury.  If you search on the well-known video-sharing site there are now a couple of new videos showing her public rooms.  

P1000771.JPG

P1000772.JPG

P1000773.JPG

P1000774.JPG

P1000813.JPG

P1000815.JPG

P1000817.JPG

P1000818.JPG

P1000833.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, paulatsea said:

Thanks for the update and photos Britboys - the journey into Hamburg looks really interesting down the Elbe - I didn’t  realise how far “inland” Hamburg is. Love to do that one day.

I'll be doing it later this year on a cruise that takes in Antwerp too, which includes a shorter river journey up the Scheldt.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We took the plunge today and booked the Arctic voyage to Greenland. We have been watching this for a while as the Greenland itinerary looks great and ticks some boxes. The dates are not good as we will only return from a river cruise just over a week before but the price swung it, plus we have been away too long.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We took the plunge today and booked the Arctic voyage to Greenland. We have been watching this for a while as the Greenland itinerary looks great and ticks some boxes. The dates are not good as we will only return from a river cruise just over a week before but the price swung it, plus we have been away too long.

Certainly some good prices, even for singles.  We booked that a few weeks back on a guarantee basis and our cabin number appeared on our login area last night.  Quite happy with it (deck 10, mid fore), just hope there are no unseen problems though.  The excursions have been selling fast, so I recommend you have a look asap.  Definitely worth one of the boat trips which sail between icebergs and/or the trek to the ice fjord.  We have booked both of those in Ilulissat.  We have been to three southern ports previously (including the two on this cruise) and did the boat from Narsarsuaq, which was most impressive.  We are spending quite a bit on excursions for this one, but no regrets and not easy to do anything much independently in Greenland as everything gets contracted to the ship.

We are currently packing and going up to the north east on Sunday for three nights, followed by a Baltic cruise.  Hoping to get to Inner Farne Isles to see puffins etc. We will have the luxury of two and a half weeks at home on return.  We have got a lot to make up for over the last three years 🙂

Anyone know if there is a roll call for this cruise?

6 hours ago, tring said:

Certainly some good prices, even for singles.  We booked that a few weeks back on a guarantee basis and our cabin number appeared on our login area last night.  Quite happy with it (deck 10, mid fore), just hope there are no unseen problems though.  The excursions have been selling fast, so I recommend you have a look asap.  Definitely worth one of the boat trips which sail between icebergs and/or the trek to the ice fjord.  We have booked both of those in Ilulissat.  We have been to three southern ports previously (including the two on this cruise) and did the boat from Narsarsuaq, which was most impressive.  We are spending quite a bit on excursions for this one, but no regrets and not easy to do anything much independently in Greenland as everything gets contracted to the ship.

We are currently packing and going up to the north east on Sunday for three nights, followed by a Baltic cruise.  Hoping to get to Inner Farne Isles to see puffins etc. We will have the luxury of two and a half weeks at home on return.  We have got a lot to make up for over the last three years 🙂

Anyone know if there is a roll call for this cruise?

We are also on deck 10 mid inside, I was surprised we got to pick our cabin on a saver fare. Once we get our confirmation I will check out the tours. There isn't a roll call as Ambassador on not listed on "Roll Calls". There is a facecloth event for the cruise.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are also on deck 10 mid inside, I was surprised we got to pick our cabin on a saver fare. Once we get our confirmation I will check out the tours. There isn't a roll call as Ambassador on not listed on "Roll Calls". There is a facecloth event for the cruise.

We were allocated our cabin, did you choose yours?  Once online the tours are bookable on your login section for the cruise booking.  There is two stages to booking, with it showing on the top left of the page after we thought we had booked - you have to go through a confirmation procedure, then the tour shows on your planner.  No payment until on the ship and tours can easily be cancelled pre-cruise (probably a cut off date few days prior).  We have had second thoughts on a couple of ours, but think we are sorted now.  Glad about that as we will not have net access much of the time we are away.  Some useful info on the first couple of pages of  the ports of call section here as well and, as always, I find Google Earth very helpful, even Greenland has street view.  Transport is very short there, so even trips seem to share "shuttle bus" type services.  Narsarsuaq and Qaqortoq fairly small, we walked up Signal hill on our own last time (about five or six years ago), but not sure I would be able to now, though was not that far.  We did the Kaffemik in Qaqortoq, which was good, though a steep hill up to the house (most of them I think) and one passenger had to go back to the ship.  We are repeating that in Ilulissat, but bus shuttle there.  You will not find taxis.  We were docked in those ports last time on Boudicca, tenders will be a pain.

I have started a roll call on the "Other Cruise Lines" section,  There is also a sort of mixed thread headed Ambassador Iceland, June.  I am connected to a couple of groups elsewhere, but do not get too involved normally. 

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

We were allocated our cabin, did you choose yours?  Once online the tours are bookable on your login section for the cruise booking.  There is two stages to booking, with it showing on the top left of the page after we thought we had booked - you have to go through a confirmation procedure, then the tour shows on your planner.  No payment until on the ship and tours can easily be cancelled pre-cruise (probably a cut off date few days prior).  We have had second thoughts on a couple of ours, but think we are sorted now.  Glad about that as we will not have net access much of the time we are away.  Some useful info on the first couple of pages of  the ports of call section here as well and, as always, I find Google Earth very helpful, even Greenland has street view.  Transport is very short there, so even trips seem to share "shuttle bus" type services.  Narsarsuaq and Qaqortoq fairly small, we walked up Signal hill on our own last time (about five or six years ago), but not sure I would be able to now, though was not that far.  We did the Kaffemik in Qaqortoq, which was good, though a steep hill up to the house (most of them I think) and one passenger had to go back to the ship.  We are repeating that in Ilulissat, but bus shuttle there.  You will not find taxis.  We were docked in those ports last time on Boudicca, tenders will be a pain.

I have started a roll call on the "Other Cruise Lines" section,  There is also a sort of mixed thread headed Ambassador Iceland, June.  I am connected to a couple of groups elsewhere, but do not get too involved normally. 

We did chose our cabin, the lady we spoke to was great, I think she must have been ex CMV as she really knew the score. She originally said we would be allocated a cabin, when I asked if there were area's we could request she went into the system and told me what was available mid ship and gave me a choice. Not sure if this is the norm ore she was just being really helpful. Thanks for the info re tours, I will check them out.

• Like 2

OMG prices are good now aren't they?  That's almost half what I paid with the 10% early booking discount.  I do seen to have been upgraded by a cabin class or 2.  Though I can't see what extra it is offering me.

I guess that this trip isn't loading too well.

I personally haven't found any tours of interest to me.  The idea of paying £50 for someone to walk me around a town the size of a postcard just doesn't appeal.  Even the Icefjord is walkable for someone reasonably capable.  You have all day to do it.  (I wonder what time the last tenders will return to the ship?)  Which only leaves the tour to Eric The Red's cabin, for which the pictures don't make it look particularly compelling.

19 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

OMG prices are good now aren't they?  That's almost half what I paid with the 10% early booking discount.  I do seen to have been upgraded by a cabin class or 2.  Though I can't see what extra it is offering me.

I guess that this trip isn't loading too well.

I personally haven't found any tours of interest to me.  The idea of paying £50 for someone to walk me around a town the size of a postcard just doesn't appeal.  Even the Icefjord is walkable for someone reasonably capable.  You have all day to do it.  (I wonder what time the last tenders will return to the ship?)  Which only leaves the tour to Eric The Red's cabin, for which the pictures don't make it look particularly compelling.

We are not interested in the Viking history, but the ship will only be transporting people to there if booked ion the trip, they were used during our previous call on Fred as all local boats used for icefjord trip, (which is one I would recommend at least).  The port, Narsarsuaq, is on the other side of the fjord and is where passengers will be rendered, but can walk into the small town and up signal hill if fit, we did that independently.  The Ilulissat ice fjord trek has a transfer to the start of the boardwalk, but I do not know how far that is, butif that distance is walkable, you may be able to do it.  Check on Google Earth and there is a website for a new visitor building at the start of the boardwalk.  You will have to book and pay to go into there if you wish to do so.

You will see icebergs from the ship, but not as near or spectacular an experience as we had in Narsarsuaq.  All personal choice as you say.

3 hours ago, tring said:

We are not interested in the Viking history, but the ship will only be transporting people to there if booked ion the trip, they were used during our previous call on Fred as all local boats used for icefjord trip, (which is one I would recommend at least).  The port, Narsarsuaq, is on the other side of the fjord and is where passengers will be rendered, but can walk into the small town and up signal hill if fit, we did that independently.  The Ilulissat ice fjord trek has a transfer to the start of the boardwalk, but I do not know how far that is, butif that distance is walkable, you may be able to do it.  Check on Google Earth and there is a website for a new visitor building at the start of the boardwalk.  You will have to book and pay to go into there if you wish to do so.

Is Qassiarsuk any more interesting than Narsarsuaq (or any of the other destinations on the trip)?  I have walked through them with Google and they all seem pretty much the same to me in terms of their street scenes.

I'm assuming that Signal Hill is the hill that's at the end of the wiggly road show on Google, opposite the airport (it isn't named)

If it is, for comparison that's 50% further and 100% higher than the walk to Ilulissat ice fjord.  So if one can manage to walk to Signal Hill, the Ice Fjord is a breeze (as long as I have sussed the tender landing points correctly).

I have looked at the Ice Fjord Museum website and yes, you do have to pay, and booking is recommended (limited to 100/150 people at a time).  But I'm assuming that's just to go inside the museum, not to be allowed to walk the boardwalk.  I can take my chance of going inside the museum - though I probably will get around to making a booking before I leave.

To be honest, destinations such as Iceland and Greenland aren't really about the towns - more the scenery and wildlife that can be found - but you generally need to do excursions to make the most of it.

• Like 2