CDC says no more masks for the fully vaccinated---Will Seabourn drop the mask mandate onboard?

SLSD

After getting fully vaccinated in NY I signed up for Governor Cuomo's Excelsior pass on my cell phone.  It's a little gimmicky, but it does provide a UPC code that supposedly states I am vaccinated.  I was not able to sign up through the system until I had reached the full 14 days after the 2nd shot.  I don't see myself ever going somewhere that would request it, but it does reveal a process that doesn't seem intrusive for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jenidallas said:

A travel agent who I tangentially know today was posting on his social media with links to Ebay and Etsy sellers with blank vaccine cards.  He suggested that those wanting to cruise but not be vaccinated merely purchase one of these and look to the completed vaccine cards others have posted on Facebook or Instagram to figure out how to fill theirs in so they could resume their normal life as if vaccinated.  He had quite a few responses from anti-vax individuals who were jumping onboard to do exactly what he suggested.

Jenni this is quite disturbing and I am surprised he can do this with no consequences like a fine and loss of his licence. It would be risky as well for the traveller if they went to a country having strict vaccination entry requirements, got sick with Covid and subsequently found to have faked their vaccination record. 

Like markham here in Australia ours is linked electronically to MyGovHealth because we had to show them our Medicare card which every Australian has. It registered immediately we got our first shot and we could see it online. 

Considering how many people use Facebook (not me) and various other Apps that track them I find this concern about privacy interesting. The MyGov Health is only accessible to ourself and health providers...though I guess someone could hack it but why? Anyway it was very beneficial last year when my husband had chest pain over a weekend and subsequently needed a stent. His local doctor was closed but the Emergency Department could access previous test results etc. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Jenni this is quite disturbing and I am surprised he can do this with no consequences like a fine and loss of his licence. It would be risky as well for the traveller if they went to a country having strict vaccination entry requirements, got sick with Covid and subsequently found to have faked their vaccination record. 

I just checked on eBay and sure enough, there are sellers selling blank vaccination cards.  They make it less obvious by including a plastic protector and lanyard with it.  I would expect that they would say that the blank card is just "an example" and not meant to falsify a real card  Hm....I don't think I believe that.  

3 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I just checked on eBay and sure enough, there are sellers selling blank vaccination cards.  They make it less obvious by including a plastic protector and lanyard with it.  I would expect that they would say that the blank card is just "an example" and not meant to falsify a real card  Hm....I don't think I believe that.  

It just saddens me that with a disease that has caused so much grief around the world someone would think this was okay...sigh 😔.

• Like 1

Just from a business prospective I can't see how cruise lines can make any other decision than everyone vaccinated.  I mentioned in another thread away from your own personal health risk (which is fairly minimal given the vaccine) if just one or two people get the Covid on board the cruise is quarantined probably for two weeks and a disaster on many levels.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Just from a business prospective I can't see how cruise lines can make any other decision than everyone vaccinated.  I mentioned in another thread away from your own personal health risk (which is fairly minimal given the vaccine) if just one or two people get the Covid on board the cruise is quarantined probably for two weeks and a disaster on many levels.

I would guess cruise lines have developed a plan of action when someone tests positive for Covid.  Basis the continued success with vaccinations and us vaccinated folks can now go indoors and outdoors without masks and therefore be around people with Covid that we are not aware, I would again guess a person that tests positive would be isolated to their cabin, additional testing would be done, but the boat would not be quarantined.  I believe we are all going to be around people that have Covid at some point in our daily lives, but if you have the vaccine you have very little to fear.  Those who don't vaccinate will be OK in their daily lives if they choose to wear a mask and keep their distance.  But please don't expect to go on a cruise without a vaccination.  

• Like 1

A vast majority of Seabourn clients (like me & my wife ) are in the high risk group given their age and health conditions.  The vaccines are wonderful but there is still a 5-6% chance of getting Covid,  if you do its hopefully less serious.   Its certainly not 100%.    Given the close proximity that people live on a cruise ship I think if someone on board contracts Covid the repercussions are going to be much more serious than than just that person isolated and some testing.  In my opinion at a minimum everyone would have to stay in their room until everyone was tested and the ship cleaned.  Visiting ports aren't going to be real receptive to a ship with someone with Covid on board either.  Sorry to be a downer but..

So back to my original thought I think vaccines will be mandatory for quite a while which is good by me.

3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

And on the news in the US today, continuing reports about major league baseball players and others who have tested positive in spite of being vaccinated.  Most all of them (with few exceptions) have no symptoms.  One doctor was saying that if more people who have been completely vaccinated were tested regularly, we would see more cases without symptoms.  I know everyone is also going to have to present a very recent negative test.  I'm beginning to think that those who are planning to cruise need to quarantine themselves prior to the cruise and do regular testing during that time---just to make sure they  do not meet disappointment.  

Edited by SLSD

Such a sensible discussion, I like you guys, despite only being on Seabourn once so far! I hope that changes in the future, although at the moment we have nothing booked.

Let's hope that Neverlookback is right, and that RetiredandTravel is not.  That is, that the whole ship would not be quarantined for one or two cases.

As for cleaning the ship, I believe in some scientific circles, some new guidelines will be forthcoming soon that obviates some of this, recognizing that this virus is almost entirely airborne, and not transmitted easy by touching things.

4 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

A vast majority of Seabourn clients (like me & my wife ) are in the high risk group given their age and health conditions.  The vaccines are wonderful but there is still a 5-6% chance of getting Covid,  if you do its hopefully less serious.   Its certainly not 100%.    Given the close proximity that people live on a cruise ship I think if someone on board contracts Covid the repercussions are going to be much more serious than than just that person isolated and some testing.  In my opinion at a minimum everyone would have to stay in their room until everyone was tested and the ship cleaned.  Visiting ports aren't going to be real receptive to a ship with someone with Covid on board either.  Sorry to be a downer but..

So back to my original thought I think vaccines will be mandatory for quite a while which is good by me.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the US with mask requirements disappearing for vaccinated people.  We will now have situations where vaccinated people will be interacting with unvaccinated/unmasked people in close quarters, ie restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.  If we don't have issues with vaccinated people getting sick in these crowded venues, it should give comfort to us on cruise boats where everyone is vaccinated.  For me it also feels like there will continue to be positive news in the coming weeks prior to the July start of cruising on Seabourn.

• Like 1

When I heard the story that 8 folks associated with the Yankees had tested positive it was disturbing.  But when looking into the details it turned out that all 8 of those folks had the single shot J&J vaccine which is estimated to be only 72% effective (as compared to Moderna and Pfizer which are at least 95% effective).  In my little mind it just reinforced my own belief (which I have posted elsewhere) that the J&J vaccine should never have received its emergency use order for the simple reason that its' efficacy is not even close to the other two vaccines.  In simple terms, why settle for a less effective vaccine when there is little need.    As to those Yankee folks testing positive, it just proves the point.  The good news is that none of those folks is seriously ill (the J&J is nearly 100% effective in keeping folks out of the hospital).  

When it comes to DW and myself we decided (back in March) to seek out either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine because we are in high risk groups and wanted to improve the odds in our favor :).  When asked by a vaccine hesitant friend (who apparently trusts my opinion) I told him to seek out either of those mRNA vaccines.  There is nothing new about this vaccine issue except that this involves COVID and EUAs.  A few years ago when the first Shingles vaccine was only about 50% effective we sought out that shot.  About 2 years later a batter vaccine (more then 90% effective) came on the market and we got that one too.  But with the COVID vaccines, the J&J was the last one to get approved and seems to be a significant step down in terms of efficacy.  This Yankee news is not going to be helpful to that J&J product

Hank

• Thanks 1

The 19 out of 22 Singapore airport workers tested for Covid were asymptomatic positive. They had the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Some of their close contacts also tested positive. Believe there was an article about this a couple of days ago in the NY Times. But easy to confirm using Google. 

11 hours ago, Neverlookback said:

It will be interesting to see what happens in the US with mask requirements disappearing for vaccinated people.  We will now have situations where vaccinated people will be interacting with unvaccinated/unmasked people in close quarters, ie restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.  If we don't have issues with vaccinated people getting sick in these crowded venues, it should give comfort to us on cruise boats where everyone is vaccinated.  For me it also feels like there will continue to be positive news in the coming weeks prior to the July start of cruising on Seabourn.

Hear, Hear!!

The feedback from the early cruises will be very enlightening.  Hopefully all good.  Currently my vacations for the next 12 months are on land but I'm fairly new to the cruise scene.  I wish everyone safe and enjoyable travels.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:53 AM, SLSD said:

I looked today and only saw clear plastic holders. I have not checked Amazon, but that could be a likely place 

I just think that there isn't a high probability a Seabourn passenger is going to show up with fake Covid vaccination documentation.  Could be wrong.  

I will come clean and say I had fake ID when I was in high school, Nixon was the President at the time though.

I guessing SLSD likes Nixon.  😡

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

I looked today and only saw clear plastic holders. I have not checked Amazon, but that could be a likely place 

I saw the forms WITH the plastic holders just yesterday.  Maybe they have been asked to remove them.  

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I just think that there isn't a high probability a Seabourn passenger is going to show up with fake Covid vaccination documentation.  Could be wrong.  

I will come clean and say I had fake ID when I was in high school, Nixon was the President at the time though.

I guessing SLSD likes Nixon.  😡

I was in graduate school when Nixon resigned.  I had watched the entirety of the Watergate hearings. And no, I was not a fan of what Nixon did.  In fact, I was horrified.   Did not vote for him either.  He was running the first time I was old enough to vote.  I have no idea where you got the notion that I liked Nixon.  I recognize politics is not supposed to be discussed here--just responding. 

I am just hoping that Seabourn will keep the vaccination requirement.  By the way, I went grocery shopping today and our local grocery store is still requiring masks for all who enter the store.  We had dinner last night at a country club--on the veranda--and as would be expected, no one in a mask--even when coming and going.  

I join others in hoping that the first Seabourn cruises go without a single hitch and are a wonderful experience for everyone onboard.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

I can also discuss the pros and cons of ALL previous presidents.  But, this is NOT a political venue nor is it designed to reflect personal opinions and off-ship experiences. As for masks, we are at the "mercy" of the CDC and, in turn, Carnival. To rehash what should and shouldn't be is pure folly. It's fun but not more than that.

I have no problem with the CDC mask decision, its time to move on.  I'll still take precautions like distancing.  Again I don't want to go on a cruise without a vaccine requirement or with a mask requirement.

It was a joke, lighten up.  

Edited by RetiredandTravel
typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I have no problem with the CDC mask decision, its time to move on.  I'll still take precautions like distancing.  Again I don't want to go on a cruise without a vaccine requirement or a mask requirement.

It was a joke, lighten up.  

Its all a temprorary measure. I dont see a problem with it at all as ong as we can start cruising. I am pretty sure that next year it will be all abandoned

33 minutes ago, cuddles115 said:

33 minutes ago, cuddles115 said:

I can also discuss the pros and cons of ALL previous presidents.  But, this is NOT a political venue nor is it designed to reflect personal opinions and off-ship experiences. As for masks, we are at the "mercy" of the CDC and, in turn, Carnival. To rehash what should and shouldn't be is pure folly. It's fun but not more than that.

I only mention a business requiring masks in my area  to suggest that SB COULD require them onboard even though the CDC has loosened the restriction.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I only mention a business requiring masks in my area  to suggest that SB COULD require them onboard even though the CDC has loosened the restriction.  

Requiring a mask may be decided by any business ... THEIR rules and if you want to dine / shop / cruise with them ... you must do so under THEIR rules. 

28 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

Requiring a mask may be decided by any business ... THEIR rules and if you want to dine / shop / cruise with them ... you must do so under THEIR rules. 

Exactly.  That is what I am saying above.  And, there are a fair number of businesses who are choosing to keep their mask mandates.  

Edited by SLSD

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

100% agree.  I would assume Seabourn is not getting complaints about the 100% vaccination requirement.  From a business standpoint they will wish to protect their ability to sail with vaccinations, testing, masks and social distancing.  As the initial cruises pass and hopefully successfully, they can adjust their safety protocols to match the risk level.  I would assume the vaccination requirement would be one of the last to be removed.  I could foresee the vaccination requirement being in force for 2 years or more.  With a significant number of people in the US choosing not to take the vaccine, I would guess the risk on cruises would remain measurable and therefore makes sense to keep the vaccine requirement.  I could foresee the mask requirement moderating after a few months of sailing??