What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

sandwiches are not my go to meal on a cruise.  In fact other than a burger, I rarely have one.

Since I don't see a variety of gourmet or otherwise special sandwiches onboard a cruise ship, I thought I'd open it up to sandwiches on land as well.

I love a good cuban as well as a Banh Mi but probably one of my all-time favorites is a Croque Monsieur or better yet a Croque Madame .  I have made all of them at home.

More often than those, for simplicity's sake, I like a grilled cheese with sliced green olives on it (and some times ham).

30 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

sandwiches are not my go to meal on a cruise.  In fact other than a burger, I rarely have one.

Since I don't see a variety of gourmet or otherwise special sandwiches onboard a cruise ship, I thought I'd open it up to sandwiches on land as well.

I love a good cuban as well as a Banh Mi but probably one of my all-time favorites is a or better yet a Croque Madame .  I have made all of them at home.

More often than those, for simplicity's sake, I like a grilled cheese with sliced green olives on it (and some times ham).

That is easy................................................

Either the past known as the QE2 or now QM2 Club Sandwich. I have to have it at least once a trip. Maybe next time twice. It's thru Room Service Menu. Otherwise I really don't sandwich on board. The only burger is in the Broadwalk Cafe - Outside dining.

QM2 Club Sandwich  Sliced Roasted Chicken, Crisp American Bacon, Fried Egg, Sliced Tomato, Lettuce and Mayonnaise on Toasted White Bread.

Edited by BklynBoy8

A real Italian sub/hoagie with crusty Italian rolls, cappicola, salami, _sharp_ provolone, onions, tomatoes, oregano/basil/salt/pepper, lots of olive oil and a teeny bit of vinegar, and maybe some sweet peppers.  No lettuce, no regular ham or other lunch meat. If you get within 1 mile of my hoagie with mayonnaise, you'll be sleepin' wid da fishes, capishe?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, capncarp said:

A real Italian sub/hoagie with crusty Italian rolls, cappicola, salami, _sharp_ provolone, onions, tomatoes, oregano/basil/salt/pepper, lots of olive oil and a teeny bit of vinegar, and maybe some sweet peppers.  No lettuce, no regular ham or other lunch meat. If you get within 1 mile of my hoagie with mayonnaise, you'll be sleepin' wid da fishes, capishe?

Capncarp, sounds like an Italian sub I would get from Palmisano's as a kid.  That and the meatball sub (where the roll wasn't split, it was hollowed out) were my favorites!

don't worry we won't put mayo on it, we'll use miracle whip!

ducking....ok now, I'm running.

Anyway, on a lighter note. Although they are pretty basic, I like Tea sandwiches.  naturally are many varieties of them so everyone's experience is different.  If I am entertaining, I might serve a classic where I cut the crusts of thin slices of bread (use them for stuffing or in a meatloaf), slather them with homemade herbed cream cheese and thin slices of cucumber and onion with just bit of salt and pepper for seasoning, add a top slice also with the cream cheese then cut each in quarters.  You can also cut them in shapes with cookie cutter but then the cook has to eat all the leftover scraps.  Some also call them finger sandwiches.

13 hours ago, capncarp said:

In Bensonhurst Brooklyn that would be called an Italian Delight...except shredded lettuce would be added to absorb the dressing. And the dressing from the sweet peppers would absorb in the top bread.

30 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

I like Tea sandwiches.  naturally are many varieties of them so everyone's experience is different.  If I am entertaining, I might serve a classic where I cut the crusts of thin slices of bread (use them for stuffing or in a meatloaf), slather them with homemade herbed cream cheese and thin slices of cucumber and onion with just bit of salt and pepper for seasoning, add a top slice also with the cream cheese then cut each in quarters.  You can also cut them in shapes with cookie cutter but then the cook has to eat all the leftover scraps.  Some also call them finger sandwiches.

My favorite part of the QM2 Queens Room Tea Service the tea sandwiches. All thin bread with crust off. Cream Cheese w Watercress.....Cucumber w Tuna Salad.....Prime Rib w buttered bread....Smoke Salmon.....Egg Salad w Watercress......Egg Salad w Chives......to name a few

6 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Sandwiches on a cruise.... not really... sometimes   for a lunch snack chicken caesar wrap

Favorite Sandwich.... Hot Roast Beef, tomato and onion,  bread must be buttered... yummm.

Don

Favorite from My Area in Brooklyn,NY........Hot Roast Beef, Melted Mozzarella, Brown Gravy on a Hero Roll

14 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Sounds great.... to be perfect a beer to wash it down

Brooklyn or Sam Adams Lager

PS.... have to lick your fingers during eating your sandwich..

Edited by BklynBoy8

Ohhhh...now you are really getting me hungry...but I have to go off to dialysis now.  We’ll continue this when I get back home in 5 hours.  Then I can tell you about some of my all-time favorites.  I can never understand why they put out those silly sandwiches  on the ship’s buffet??  What’s the point of having Italian bread with salami and cheese?  A half made sandwich is a travesty.  I once tried to get the Italian Maitre D’ on MSC to make an Italian sub...to no avail.  I guess he had never been in Boston or Philly...LOL.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

6 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Sounds great.... to be perfect a beer to wash it down

makes me wish I liked beer!

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ohhhh...now you are really getting me hungry...but I have to go off to dialysis now.  We’ll continue this when I get back home in 5 hours.  Then I can tell you about some of my all-time favorites.  I can never understand why they put out those silly sandwiches  on the ship’s buffet??  What’s the point of having Italian bread with salami and cheese?  A half made sandwich is a travesty.  I once tried to get the Italian Maitre D’ on MSC to make an Italian sub...to no avail.  I guess he had never been in Boston or Philly...LOL.

Yes!  If I am going to have a sandwich on a cruise, I expect to have something SUBstantial not skimpy.

• Like 1

I’m back...finally!  Some of my favorite sandwiches are deli style.  Celebrity usually provides some good basics...turkey, brisket, corned beef, pastrami and baked ham.  One of my top favorites is The Turkey In The Straw.  This is light rye slathered with Russian dressing, fresh sliced turkey breast, baked ham, Cole slaw, Swiss cheese and two strips of bacon...incredible!  

I think HAL's Room Service Club Sandwich is hard to beat.  Their Dive-In Grill with a variety of burgers and dogs are all great that I have ordered.  (I have not ordered all of the variations.)  I like the Cannonball burger particularly.  Messy; I have learned to pick-up more napkins.  

On 5/13/2021 at 5:36 PM, seamus69 said:

Croque Monsieur 

Yes!  Difficult to find in a restaurant locally.  

My "go to" favorite sandwich at home or at sea is a simple one.  Grilled Ham and Swiss Cheese on Rye Bread.  

• Like 1

I think HAL does a good job with sandwiches according to the YouTube presentations I’ve seen.  Another trick I use at the buffet is to find some good bread or rolls and head for the carving station...then amble around the buffet for the extras.  There is nothing better than a hand cut roast beef, tenderloin roast, brisket, turkey, baked ham, pastrami etc.  

On 5/16/2021 at 3:39 AM, rkacruiser said:

Grill with a variety of burgers and dogs are all great that I have ordered.  (I have not ordered all of the variations.)  I like the Cannonball burger particularly.  Messy; I have learned to pick-up more napkins.  

I know it sounds crazy but I really look forward to a cruise for "the dogs" ... 🙂 ... they are just not easily found in my area and almost no one makes them the way I want them ... "all the way" ... this means in addition to traditional 'fixins' I want cole slaw, crumbled bacon, mayo, onion, etc on my dog .... 🙂 ...

I only seem to be able to get a dog 'my way' is on an Azamara cruise at their 'grill' ...

Edited by GlobalMethod
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 10:03 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I think HAL does a good job with sandwiches according to the YouTube presentations I’ve seen.  Another trick I use at the buffet is to find some good bread or rolls and head for the carving station...then amble around the buffet for the extras.  There is nothing better than a hand cut roast beef, tenderloin roast, brisket, turkey, baked ham, pastrami etc.  

CGT

BRAVO....

I too remember the one and only sailing that I took on the Noordam had a Sandwich added to the Lido Deck. They would make what ever selection you would like besides the regular usuals and a "Sandwich/Hero of the Day".

I ditto about the fresh cut off the bone roast beef sandwich. My favorite and is the favorite in my area of New York (Brooklyn), house contractors and laborers always order from the Deli - Fresh Cut RB, smear of Mayo, Cold Cut Machine Sheered Iceberg Lettuce, Sliced Tomato (summer - beefsteak), S&P on a Fresh Seed Italian Loaf of Bread (locally baked that morning.) Of course, a pair of Half Sour Dill Pickles.

Our favorite from the local Jewish Deli - Fresh Jewish Rye, Warmed Pastrami and Cole Slaw layered. Yes, pair of Half Sour Dill Pickles.

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT

BRAVO....

I too remember the one and only sailing that I took on the Noordam had a Sandwich added to the Lido Deck. They would make what ever selection you would like besides the regular usuals and a "Sandwich/Hero of the Day".

I ditto about the fresh cut off the bone roast beef sandwich. My favorite and is the favorite in my area of New York (Brooklyn), house contractors and laborers always order from the Deli - Fresh Cut RB, smear of Mayo, Cold Cut Machine Sheered Iceberg Lettuce, Sliced Tomato (summer - beefsteak), S&P on a Fresh Seed Italian Loaf of Bread (locally baked that morning.) Of course, a pair of Half Sour Dill Pickles.

Our favorite from the local Jewish Deli - Fresh Jewish Rye, Warmed Pastrami and Cole Slaw layered. Yes, pair of Half Sour Dill Pickles.

Now you are really making me hungry.  I agree with all the above!  Another combination sandwich is my standby.  Give me a fresh roasted roast beef sandwich in a fresh sub roll with Mayo on both sides and sliced beef steak tomatoes and lettuce, salt and pepper and freshly made egg salad!!  The egg salad gives this sandwich a whole new dimension.

• Like 2

In their Lido Restaurant, HAL had a dedicated sandwich station complete with a Panini Grill with so many fixings and breads/rolls.  Just great!  Then, different management began to exert its influence and that area got reduced..and reduced.. to elimination.  Pre-made packaged sandwiches made an appearance.  A new Executive President for Food and Beverage was hired and made positive changes, including a return of the Panini Grill, (not just in the opinion of this cruiser, but also by Assistant Dining Room Managers whom I knew).  Covid-19 appeared soon after.  What will the future sandwich options be?  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Now you are really making me hungry.  I agree with all the above!  Another combination sandwich is my standby.  Give me a fresh roasted roast beef sandwich in a fresh sub roll with Mayo on both sides and sliced beef steak tomatoes and lettuce, salt and pepper and freshly made egg salad!!  The egg salad gives this sandwich a whole new dimension.

Egg Salad Really?????

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Egg Salad Really?????

Try it!  The egg salad addition to the roast beef will give you a whole new slant on RB sandwiches.  Go easy on the lettuce and tomato or even eliminate it all together.  This sandwich is a study in protein...and tastes great!  

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Try it!  The egg salad addition to the roast beef will give you a whole new slant on RB sandwiches.  Go easy on the lettuce and tomato or even eliminate it all together.  This sandwich is a study in protein...and tastes great!  

Again, Egg Salad on RB?

I like Egg Salad and Peter Luger Bacon on a toasted Kaiser Roll.. or Egg Salad as a  Tea Sandwich.

Not a sandwich but like a non-bread sandwich..... Peanut Butter on Celery Stick. Love them as a Kid.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:46 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I like egg salad, I don't love it and I have to agree with BB, ir seems an odd combo with RB but not repulsive....I have had my mind changed before!

I love a good BLT with cheese.....but they don't have that on ships.  I also enjoy a good open-faced cheese sandwich.....I love good chicken salad, egg salad or tuna salad!  Grilled cheese hits the spot, too!   I don't have a "favorite"....just what I happen to want on any given day!

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I love a good BLT with cheese.....but they don't have that on ships.  I also enjoy a good open-faced cheese sandwich.....I love good chicken salad, egg salad or tuna salad!  Grilled cheese hits the spot, too!   I don't have a "favorite"....just what I happen to want on any given day!

Egg Salad, Tuna and Chicken are all my favorites. Especially Chicken Salad with Bacon.

Grill Cheese is my all time favorite to compose. My Aunt Ann use to make Grill Cheese Open Face. A piece of toasted white bread. Slice of Tomato. Several pieces of Crispy Back. Then several slices of American Cheese. Then broil it till the cheese is melted and coating all the below. And attaining a bit of a crust on top. Very WOW that I still remember it to this day.