What is your favorite sandwich on or off of a cruise ship

Seamus6

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I remember Todd and his wife, Olivia, when they started their first restaurant in Charlestown, Massachusetts.  Then they separated and divorced.  Todd started his own restaurant and things went on from there.  I first met him at his original restaurant, also in Charlestown, which was very good.  He was very personable and an ambitious chef on his way up.  Now he seems to have faded into the sea…so to speak.

CGT,

I do agree that many of the chefs are very personal. Some come out of their kitchens.

Being a Cook, enjoy Culinary Research and Taster, I enjoy more current and past Culinary Leaders for their knowledge of ingredients use. TE just didn't send me to even taste what was created. Even by sight to the plating. I was confused but willing to try when I ate in the TE on the QM2 for lunch. Not that I didn't wanted to past on the Diamond Lvl gratitis lunch, I wanted to give the choices a chance but was not impressed. We never returned after that day on any further sailings.

I want to keep an open mind with Verandah the restaurant replaced TE. It's a steak house and may want to see what the difference from there compared to what I would get in my restaurant Club Britannia. I would hope a good steak should be gotten from Kings Court to Queens Grill.

The new chefs in NYC are suppose to be trained from Culinary School and with Top Chefs. But what they create is unbelievable and unheard of. They have personal and private restaurants where only one sitting can be booked a night. Have a set charge pp near $200. About several not many menu choices. They are located in our Lofts, Old Factories and even Storage Space. 

I unfortunately follow again those of the past and have basic techniques and well known entrees I look forward to. One place we have gone in the past unfortunately have a menu on certain days that I can only be attracted to one or two.

I really don't remember passengers reviews of TE meals.     

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT,

I do agree that many of the chefs are very personal. Some come out of their kitchens.

Being a Cook, enjoy Culinary Research and Taster, I enjoy more current and past Culinary Leaders for their knowledge of ingredients use. TE just didn't send me to even taste what was created. Even by sight to the plating. I was confused but willing to try when I ate in the TE on the QM2 for lunch. Not that I didn't wanted to past on the Diamond Lvl gratitis lunch, I wanted to give the choices a chance but was not impressed. We never returned after that day on any further sailings.

I want to keep an open mind with Verandah the restaurant replaced TE. It's a steak house and may want to see what the difference from there compared to what I would get in my restaurant Club Britannia. I would hope a good steak should be gotten from Kings Court to Queens Grill.

The new chefs in NYC are suppose to be trained from Culinary School and with Top Chefs. But what they create is unbelievable and unheard of. They have personal and private restaurants where only one sitting can be booked a night. Have a set charge pp near $200. About several not many menu choices. They are located in our Lofts, Old Factories and even Storage Space. 

I unfortunately follow again those of the past and have basic techniques and well known entrees I look forward to. One place we have gone in the past unfortunately have a menu on certain days that I can only be attracted to one or two.

I also am a supporter of the classics.  I asked for a Christmas present when I was 14 years old…The LaRousse Gastrominique…the encyclopedia of French cuisine.  By the time I was 16 years old I had read that tome from cover to cover.  I have relied on it ever since.  With La Rousse you get the entire history as well as the recipe.  

I have high hopes for the Veranda.  After all…it is named after the original grills on the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.

• Like 2

Good morning, not sure if either one of you would be interested but CNN had a movie on Monday night called "Julia". It was really, really good. I learned a lot of things. It was kind of like a documentary but even better😀. CGT, did you know Julia Child was on the PBS station in Boston at the beginning of her TV career? Oh, you can probably find it "on demand" if you are so inclined.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I also am a supporter of the classics.  I asked for a Christmas present when I was 14 years old…The LaRousse Gastrominique…the encyclopedia of French cuisine.  By the time I was 16 years old I had read that tome from cover to cover.  I have relied on it ever since.  With La Rousse you get the entire history as well as the recipe.  

I have high hopes for the Veranda.  After all…it is named after the original grills on the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.

I use the latest addition of The Professional Chef from the CIA. WOW 1234 pages.

A to Z on Food Handling, Business, Food Chemistry, Recipes and Techniques.

I also go crazy when there going thru the Students Bookstore and Gift Shop.

Have on my Refrig a copy of the Student's Short Chef Hat.

I did like the Julia special on CNN and the replay in NYC of her on our Restaurant Channel.

Not keen with of the game cooking show we see in NYC. She makes a dish on video and those in the kitchen are suppose to copy it. BTW.....No one can copy Julia.

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, not sure if either one of you would be interested but CNN had a movie on Monday night called "Julia". It was really, really good. I learned a lot of things. It was kind of like a documentary but even better😀. CGT, did you know Julia Child was on the PBS station in Boston at the beginning of her TV career? Oh, you can probably find it "on demand" if you are so inclined.

LOL I actually watched every show Julia put on in the early 60’s.  That’s what prompted me to acquire LaRousse Gastronomique.  Julia was actually showing us how to cook those same recipes.  Up to that time home cooks had been too intimidated to replicate LaRousse.  A neighbor of mine who was fluent in French told me about LaRousse.  It is the Bible for French chefs.  The Cordon Blu cooking school in Paris, where Julia trained, was teaching the classics in LaRousse.  Ironically my wife worked at a large Boston Bank in the Trust Department in the 1970’s.  One of her accounts was Julia.  When my wife would do a transfer for Julia we would receive a lovely post card at home from Julia and Paul Child thanking DW for the transfer.  We saved the cards…some came from Cambridge and others came from France and California.  Julia was a wonderful lady but it was Paul Child who prompted and supported Julia in her culinary endeavors.

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I use the latest addition of The Professional Chef from the CIA. WOW 1234 pages.

A to Z on Food Handling, Business, Food Chemistry, Recipes and Techniques.

I also go crazy when there going thru the Students Bookstore and Gift Shop.

Have on my Refrig a copy of the Student's Short Chef Hat.

I did like the Julia special on CNN and the replay in NYC of her on our Restaurant Channel.

Not keen with of the game cooking show we see in NYC. She makes a dish on video and those in the kitchen are suppose to copy it. BTW.....No one can copy Julia.

Not to worry BB.  I have an entire library of cook books.  The CIA is the Be-All-End-All for culinary education.  They have a great library and a tremendous menu collection…with many menus coming from the great liners of the Transatlantic era.  I was friends with two of the Chefs who went to teach at CIA when it first opened in the late 60’s.  I worked with them at the Ritz Carlton in Boston when I was 19 years old.  We worked under Yves Menes who was former Executive Chef of the Cordon Blu in Paris and later Chef of the Metropolitan Club in NY City.  Yves was named Chef Oeuvrier Of France in the 1980’s.  

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Maybe once upon a time, but, the quality and preparation I think will now differ depending upon the restaurant.  That's been my recent experiences.  

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Neither do I.  Those were pre-Cruise Critic days for the most part.

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Indeed!  There is a historic standard to be met.  

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, abugarcia1 said:

Prime rib sandwich with NCL is a life changer. Off the ship a Beef in Chicago, Bahn Mi from Portland or Cuban in Miami

Living in NYC there are so many combo's maded.

Rib Eye Sliced with Mozz and Rib Eye Gravy on a Hero Roll...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 5:59 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Living in NYC there are so many combo's maded.

Rib Eye Sliced with Mozz and Rib Eye Gravy on a Hero Roll...

My best friend from my Brooklyn High School has been a professional chef for many years.He is celebrated for his delicious dishes.

However,my favorite sandwich is Corned Beef and Rye from my favorite Brooklyn Deli.

42 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend from my Brooklyn High School has been a professional chef for many years.He is celebrated for his delicious dishes.

However,my favorite sandwich is Corned Beef and Rye from my favorite Brooklyn Deli.

Which Deli is that?

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

An excellent sandwich!  Light or Dark Rye Bread?  Mustard?  What kind?  Whether cold or hot, they are good!  A grilled Ruben is hard to beat as well.  

Rubens are too abundant and heavy to handle and consume.

I prefer CB with Fresh and Proper Cole Slaw with a Great Half Sour Pickle.

Any Mustard  would only been the Deli's House Made from a Private Vendor.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Rubens are too abundant and heavy to handle and consume.

Not in my experience, but, maybe the New York versions might be.  Sour pickle side?  Absolutely appropriate.  

If there is an issue that I have with most restaurant 21st Century of sandwiches is how thick they have become.  They are not "sandwiches".  I try, give up, and get my knife and fork in use.  Maybe my orthodontist was right when I was a teenager.  You have a small mouth.  (I always thought it was because he had such large fingers.)  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Not in my experience, but, maybe the New York versions might be.  Sour pickle side?  Absolutely appropriate.  

If there is an issue that I have with most restaurant 21st Century of sandwiches is how thick they have become.  They are not "sandwiches".  I try, give up, and get my knife and fork in use.  Maybe my orthodontist was right when I was a teenager.  You have a small mouth.  (I always thought it was because he had such large fingers.)  

You know in New York everything is bigger... Deli Size means DELI !

Never saw a Ruben without a F&K.

Always Half Sour.  Conflicts with the sour sauerkraut.

• Haha 1

Just now, BklynBoy8 said:

NO

The reason that I asked is that I had a friend who taught there in the 60’s ,one who was a student there in the 60’s and a guy who graduated in 1970 used to have a Brooklyn Nostalgia message board that I posted on.

I had a lot of friends who lived in Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge and I hung out in both areas.

• Thanks 1