Will you cruise?

lv2cruisgrl

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

If yesterday is any indication, the Governor is not going to budge. 

https://www.wesh.com/article/desantis-norwegian-cruise-line/36420109#

I think that his statement that "Cruise lines have been operating in other parts of the world where there's no access to vaccine” pretty much sums up his grasp of the situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Celebrity’s initial plan was allowing 5% of the total passenger count to be under 18 years old and assume they’re unvaccinated. Everyone else vaccinated. Once/if the 5% mark is hit, no more people under 18 allowed to book. This may change of course with changes in vaccine availability. 

we plan on cruising again and would prefer 100% vaccination at first for a while. I’m not so concerned about COVID impacting me directly but I don’t want to have a vacation turned into a COVID quarantine cruise if something happened. We’re not cruising until next February anyway. 

OK so THAT's how <100% is rationalized.

But approval* of the vaccine for 12-15 has either just happened or is imminent. That would justify pushing that number even higher.

I am scheduled for a cruise in January that unambiguously requires that ALL be vaccinated. If that means there are no passengers <12 then I, for one, will be happy.

*Yes, I know this is emergency use authorization.

Now that I'm vaccinated I am as protected as I can get.  It either works or it doesn't.  Whether someone else has the vaccine or not makes no difference.  If it works it means I should never have to wear a mask or worry about anyone else wearing a mask or having a vaccine.  If it doesn't then we are all in a world of crap.  

The only issue is if someone that didn't get the vaccine get's Covid and we get quarantined.   We shouldn't because people that don't get vaccinated are on their own.  Don't feel sorry for them,  {assuming the vaccine is available and they don't have medical issues}

And I am 100% behind people making their own choice, no issues at all.  But, don't expect me to make any sacrifices because they don't want a vaccine.  They'll need to stay at home or take their chances.  

So once they take away any mask requirement then I'm ready to go.  Don't care who else is vaccinated.  We are in Florida and are very happy with the way the Governor has handled the situation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pavementends said:

OK so THAT's how <100% is rationalized.

But approval* of the vaccine for 12-15 has either just happened or is imminent. That would justify pushing that number even higher.

I am scheduled for a cruise in January that unambiguously requires that ALL be vaccinated. If that means there are no passengers <12 then I, for one, will be happy.

*Yes, I know this is emergency use authorization.

Two weeks ago the plan was informally relayed that they did not intend to lower than age to 16 or 12 depending on vaccine availability guidelines. Just keep it at 18 for continuity. But things are changing rapidly so that may adjust. Michael Bayley and Richard Fain have also said that even on Royal Caribbean, the amount of guests below age 12 are not that significant and it wasn't a big concern. Celebrity said their age 12 and below count is between 8 and 12%. That seems high in my experience but we also cruise when school is in session and avoid holidays.

I would look to a different line to guarantee all guests are vaccinated, but I'm afraid it would be a waste of time since so many things will change by the time we cruise again in 8 months. 

9 minutes ago, Duanerice1 said:

The only issue is if someone that didn't get the vaccine get's Covid and we get quarantined. 

For many of us, that is a very big issue. If vaccinations are not mandatory, there's a very good chance that a cruise for which we paid good money will be aborted. You may not care who else is vaccinated, and choose to be a DeSantis cheerleader, but without mandatory vaccinations for all, we won't be boarding any cruises sailing from Florida.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

For many of us, that is a very big issue. If vaccinations are not mandatory, there's a very good chance that a cruise for which we paid good money will be aborted. You may not care who else is vaccinated, and choose to be a DeSantis cheerleader, but without mandatory vaccinations for all, we won't be boarding any cruises sailing from Florida.

You're right.  Please stay on shore.  Please ignore all of the pre-cruise testing and testing during the cruise.  Please ignore the fact that vaccinated people won't get a serious infection and there won't be a need for a quarantine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You're right.  Please stay on shore.  Please ignore all of the pre-cruise testing and testing during the cruise.  Please ignore the fact that vaccinated people won't get a serious infection and there won't be a need for a quarantine.

LOL. You do love shooting from the hip, firing off responses without fully reading the post you are replying to. Maybe it's a reading comprehension issue.

To reiterate, if a cruise sails with any significant number of unvaccinated passengers, there's a good chance that a number of those passengers might come down with COVID. That in turn might lead to the cruise being shortened, aborted or otherwise modified. It has nothing to do with vaccinated people getting infected but everything to do with unvaccinated people getting infected. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. You do love shooting from the hip, firing off responses without fully reading the post you are replying to. Maybe it's a reading comprehension issue.

To reiterate, if a cruise sails with any significant number of unvaccinated passengers, there's a good chance that a number of those passengers might come down with COVID. That in turn might lead to the cruise being shortened, aborted or otherwise modified. It has nothing to do with vaccinated people getting infected but everything to do with unvaccinated people getting infected. 

No, that's not it.  Even on cruises that don't have a vaccination requirement the cruise lines have developed procedures that have contained Covid.  Please check to see how many of the cruises out of Europe, Singapore and other places were shortened due to a Covid outbreak.  It has not been a significant risk for them.  If you think it's a risk, please stay on shore. If you've been vaccinated, there's no need for a quarantine.

BTW even shooting from the hip, I hit my target.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Then he is going to be the one responsible for continued loss of income for Floridan's as well as tax dollars.

I don't care how DeSantis attempts to spin it.  Much of this is about DeSantis catering to what he sees as his political base...many of whom are Covid deniers and anti-vaxxers.  According to an April editorial in the Palm Beach Post,  "He’s fighting for the liberation of unvaccinated people to spread germs as they please in the middle of a worldwide pandemic."    However, if Cruise Critic is any indicator, this stance could backfire. 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/opinion/editorials/2021/04/09/editorial-desantis-ban-covid-vaccine-passports-makes-no-sense/7145766002/

• Like 2

Just booked a cruise roundtrip from Miami leaving Dec. 12, 2021 on another line. One of the first questions asked by the TA was if we had proof of vaccination. He made the booking after we said "yes". I would not go on a cruise from any port unless all were vaccinated. I'm protected and just don't want to deal with people who refuse, unless they have a medical problem that would preclude them from being vaccinated.

• Like 2

I love to cruise

I live in Florida

I absolutely love living in Florida and love the convenience of sailing from my home state.

BUT

I want to sail on ships and with companies who have vaccine requirements... AND if Florida politicians (and I hate politics and the havoc they cause) make it difficult (or impossible) for the ships to require them, I will find other ports which allow ships to require them.

It is sad that grandstanding is taking precedence over getting the vital industry restarted in a safe and efficient manner.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Please check to see how many of the cruises out of Europe, Singapore and other places were shortened due to a Covid outbreak.  It has not been a significant risk for them.  If you think it's a risk, please stay on shore. If you've been vaccinated, there's no need for a quarantine.

BTW even shooting from the hip, I hit my target.

It has not been a significant number perhaps, but there have definitely been sailings curtailed, both ocean and river in Europe.  Quantum OTS had to return to Singapore in December.

And I, for one, am sick of the "stay onshore" or "stay in your basement" memes that are posted here and elsewhere.  Because I, and others, may have concerns about sailing or travel in general does NOT mean we are shivering with fear in our homes.

Wanna take a bet that I have more travel booked and deposited than you do to verify that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twigster said:

I don't care how DeSantis attempts to spin it.  Much of this is about DeSantis catering to what he sees as his political base...many of whom are Covid deniers and anti-vaxxers.  According to an April editorial in the Palm Beach Post,  "He’s fighting for the liberation of unvaccinated people to spread germs as they please in the middle of a worldwide pandemic."    However, if Cruise Critic is any indicator, this stance could backfire. 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/opinion/editorials/2021/04/09/editorial-desantis-ban-covid-vaccine-passports-makes-no-sense/7145766002/

Yeah I believe the opinion of a left wing publication in a highly concentrated liberal county.  NOT!

Remember the hanging chads? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Yeah I believe the opinion of a left wing publication in a highly concentrated liberal county.  NOT!

Remember the hanging chads? 

Edited by Bluewake

4 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

Ahh, but no doubt you do trust the tweets of a chronic liar and sociopath as do other intellectually challenged sycophants.  As even Sydney Powell acknowledged:  "No reasonable person" should have believed the claims. 

I don't do Twitter and haven't once I got on many, many years ago and saw what it was about.  So no I don't trust to whomever you are referring. I also don't do Facebook.

My trust is based upon a person's actions not words.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

19 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

I love to cruise

I live in Florida

I absolutely love living in Florida and love the convenience of sailing from my home state.

BUT

I want to sail on ships and with companies who have vaccine requirements... AND if Florida politicians (and I hate politics and the havoc they cause) make it difficult (or impossible) for the ships to require them, I will find other ports which allow ships to require them.

It is sad that grandstanding is taking precedence over getting the vital industry restarted in a safe and efficient manner.

Totally agree.  We also love to cruise, live in Florida and love it, and agree this is purely politics.  

• Like 1

Maryland has said the Baltimore port is open for cruise ships.   Unfortunately they can’t take the large ships because of a pesky bridge but Silverseas, Azamara , Windstar, Seabourn a,lung others can easily use this port.   Have not heard if New York or New Jersey have opened their ports but when they do all size ships can sail.

6 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

Now that I'm vaccinated I am as protected as I can get.  It either works or it doesn't.  Whether someone else has the vaccine or not makes no difference.  If it works it means I should never have to wear a mask or worry about anyone else wearing a mask or having a vaccine.  If it doesn't then we are all in a world of crap. 

Well, no.

The vaccine works pretty well, call it very well. >90% effective. And almost all who DO get infected have minor symptoms. But not all. Some really very small number get very sick and a very few die.

So there is a pretty small risk to you (well, to me, I'm not sure I care about you) of becoming infected if there are non-vaccinated people around you. It DOES matter.

Read the news. Well, reliable news. The expectation is that if we are fortunate the disease will be less and less common and will have less and less effect on the way we live. It has been noted that there is only a single contagious disease that has ever been totally conquered. Smallpox. Many other formerly terrifying diseases- say bubonic plague and polio- are still around.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 6:10 PM, lovrccl said:

What if you were vaccinated, and cruise ships out of Florida couldn't demand passengers be vaccinated to sail. Would you cruise?  Still waiting to see how this all works out.

My thinking at the moment is that I'd really prefer not to sail on any ship that doesn't require proof of vaccination, but, see how things go once it all restarts. 

• Like 4