Senate passes the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act

Cruise Suzy

31 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

@Crazy planning mom posted this link in the Alaska forum

https://www.adn.com/politics/2021/05/13/us-senate-allows-alaska-bound-cruise-ships-to-bypass-canada-house-action-could-allow-summer-cruises-this-year/

House must still pass it - will that happen in time for cruises? Who knows! Crews have to be brought back, etc.

Good question...I have been thinking about that since this news broke. The CDC and the cruiselines still need to make some progress on agreeing how to cruise. Then the cruise lines need to get their ships fully operational, and most importantly, staffed and vaccinated. They have estimated 60-90 days to do this. I can see them being more motivated, but it might not be until later July.

Will they start this process before Biden signs it? Another interesting question.

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Good question...I have been thinking about that since this news broke. The CDC and the cruiselines still need to make some progress on agreeing how to cruise. Then the cruise lines need to get their ships fully operational, and most importantly, staffed and vaccinated. They have estimated 60-90 days to do this. I can see them being more motivated, but it might not be until later July.

I think it is further along than you may know.  

I think the House will rubber stamp it.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

@Crazy planning mom posted this link in the Alaska forum

https://www.adn.com/politics/2021/05/13/us-senate-allows-alaska-bound-cruise-ships-to-bypass-canada-house-action-could-allow-summer-cruises-this-year/

House must still pass it - will that happen in time for cruises? Who knows! Crews have to be brought back, etc.

Let’s hope it passes in the House!  The rest will all work out and lots going on behind the scenes to get Ships Sailing this Summer!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Will they start this process before Biden signs it? Another interesting question.

Those are the kickers to this whole thing.  Some ships will come online much quicker because they weren't put in to a soft layup, but it still doesn't solve the CDC issue.  With CDC relaxing the guidelines, it's certainly possible this can all come together for a short season.  Then, there's the question of whether or not it's worth it to the cruise lines to bring their ships to Seattle for the very short season.  

2 hours ago, JRG said:

I think it is further along than you may know.  

I think the House will rubber stamp it.

It has to pass the House first.  There's no getting around that.  

I followed the repeal of the Wright Amendment which also limited transportation by common carrier in the US, a very similar protectionist law.  It also started incrementally.  I hope this signals some major changes going forward and is not just a momentary pause.  It is black swan events, like Covid-19, that bring unanticipated change.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Euby said:

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of the Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act)?

The Jones Act and the PVSA are not the same, not different names for the same law. The Jones Act covers commerce. The PVSA covers passenger ships.

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The Jones Act and the PVSA are not the same, not different names for the same law. The Jones Act covers commerce. The PVSA covers passenger ships.

Thanks for letting me know.  I actually pulled that statement from another cruise companies website when I searched on the Jones Act to make sure I had the name right.  LOL
Makes me wonder why the Jones Act is heard about more often than the other one when it comes to cruises...

While it is great news, it is so disaapointing that it takes Congress right up to the last minute to address this!  The Alaska cruise season has already started and just NOW they are figuring it out???  Sounds like a cheap politcal move.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Canada may change their rules quickly - they don't want cruise lines to get in the habit of bypassing Vancouver.  

I hope they never bypass Vancouver.  I would rather sail from there than Seattle. 

• Like 6

When we suggested, last Fall, that a good option for Alaskan cruises was to make exceptions to the PVSA we got blasted by our favorite Chief Engineer who tossed out all kinds of reasons why this was not a good idea.  I will admit to being surprised that the referenced bill quickly cleared the Senate by Unanimous Consent since that is not the norm in Congress.  There is reason to think it will also fly through the House although the use of the word "Alien" might cause some Democrats to have a coronary and oppose the legislation.

As to our Chief Engineer friend, I would point out that as was proposed by some of us here on CC, the Bill is very specifically directed at only the current restrictions being imposed by the various Canadian governments/authorities.  Once the Canadians drop their moratorium on cruising this legislation would effectively expire.    As I read it the only loser with this Bill will be Canada to the extent that would lose the revenue that would normally be generated by cruise ship visits.

Hank 

• Like 10

S.593 allows the following ships to operate .... but they still will need to have a CSC under the CSO issued by the CDC.

(2) LIST.—The vessels listed under this paragraph are the following:

(A) Carnival Freedom (IMO number 9333149).

(B) Carnival Miracle (IMO number 9237357).

(C) Crystal Serenity (IMO number 9243667).

(D) Discovery Princess (IMO number 9837468).

(E) Emerald Princess (IMO number 9333151).

(F) Eurodam (IMO number 9378448).

(G) Golden Horizon (IMO number 9793545).

(H) Grand Princess (IMO number 9104005).

(I) Hanseatic Inspiration (IMO number 9817145).

(J) Koningsdam (IMO number 9692557).

(K) NG Quest (IMO number 9798985).

(L) NG Sea Bird (IMO number 8966444).

(M) NG Sea Lion (IMO number 8966456).

(N) NG Venture (IMO number 9799044).

(O) Nieuw Amsterdam (IMO number 9378450).

(P) Noordam (IMO number 9230115).

(Q) Zuiderdam (IMO number 9221279).

(R) Majestic Princess (IMO number 9614141).

(S) Ovation of the Seas (IMO number 9697753).

(T) Radiance of the Seas (IMO number 9195195).

(U) Serenade of the Seas (IMO number 9228344).

(V) Eclipse (IMO number 9404314).

(W) Millennium (IMO number 9189419).

(X) Solstice (IMO number 9362530).

(Y) Norwegian Bliss (IMO number 9751509).

(Z) Norwegian Encore (IMO number 9751511).

(AA) Norwegian Jewel (IMO number 9304045).

(BB) Norwegian Spirit (IMO number 9141065).

(CC) Norwegian Sun (IMO number 9218131).

(DD) Ocean Victory (IMO number 9868869).

(EE) Pacific Princess (IMO number 9187887).

(FF) Pacific World (IMO number 9000259).

(GG) Quantum of the Seas (IMO number 9549463).

(HH) Queen Elizabeth (IMO number 9477438).

(II) Disney Wonder (IMO number 9126819).

(JJ) Regatta (IMO number 9156474).

(KK) Roald Amundsen (IMO number 9813072).

(LL) Ruby Princess (IMO number 9378462).

(MM) Sapphire Princess (IMO number 9228186).

(NN) Scenic Eclipse (IMO number 9797371).

(OO) Seabourn Odyssey (IMO number 9417086).

(PP) Seabourn Venture 2 (IMO 9862023).

(QQ) Seven Seas Mariner (IMO number 9210139).

(RR) Silver Shadow (IMO number 9192167).

(SS) Silver Wind (IMO number 8903935).

(TT) Star Breeze (IMO number 8807997).

(UU) Sylvia Earle (IMO number 9872327).

(VV) Westerdam (IMO number 9226891).

(WW) L’Austral (IMO number 9502518).

(XX) Silver Muse (IMO number 9784350).

(YY) Viking Orion (IMO number 9796250).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

When we suggested, last Fall, that a good option for Alaskan cruises was to make exceptions to the PVSA we got blasted by our favorite Chief Engineer who tossed out all kinds of reasons why this was not a good idea.

Many changes and breakthroughs come at the expense of the conventional thinking.   The conventional thinking was that since PVSA had not changed before,  the cruiselines had no reason to have it modified.

We tried to convince on-board experts that from the beginning,  laws have to adapt with the values of the time.   Values are relative to time and place.  Laws have to "try and keep up".

I recognized the PVSA as not having value for cruising.   However none of our on board experts could "pull out the Sword in the Stone" and explain the benefit that PVSA gave to cruising"

Perhaps that is because there is none.  Open the flood-gates now for  Back to Back cruising.   Don't vote with your feet,  vote with your mouse and email your TA to put pressure on the industry to now get off the floor and start allowing B2B.   Blow off the distant port requirement while  you are at it.  

Our on-board experts have fallen from grace in the manner in which they have expressed objections and that is unfortunate,   but I always insisted the battle for PVSA would be won with honor.

What is fortunate is that cruisers in general are the winner here.   If you're not happy about this,   then you are not a true cruiser.

I don't have an Alaskan cruise booked,   but I am happy for all of our CC cruisers who do have one booked.    

I'm happy for the vendors in Alaska too.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

S.593 definitions ....

(a) Definition Of Covered Cruise Ship.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—In this section, the term “covered cruise ship” means a vessel included on the list under paragraph (2) that—

(A) has been issued, operates in accordance with, and retains a COVID–19 Conditional Sailing Certificate of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; and

(B) operates in accordance with any restrictions or guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention associated with such Certificate, including any such restrictions or guidance issued after the date of enactment of this Act.

3 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

S.593 allows the following ships to operate .... but they still will need to have a CSC under the CSO issued by the CDC.

(2) LIST.—The vessels listed under this paragraph are the following:

(A) Carnival Freedom (IMO number 9333149).

(B) Carnival Miracle (IMO number 9237357).

(C) Crystal Serenity (IMO number 9243667).

(D) Discovery Princess (IMO number 9837468).

(E) Emerald Princess (IMO number 9333151).

(F) Eurodam (IMO number 9378448).

(G) Golden Horizon (IMO number 9793545).

(H) Grand Princess (IMO number 9104005).

(I) Hanseatic Inspiration (IMO number 9817145).

(J) Koningsdam (IMO number 9692557).

(K) NG Quest (IMO number 9798985).

(L) NG Sea Bird (IMO number 8966444).

(M) NG Sea Lion (IMO number 8966456).

(N) NG Venture (IMO number 9799044).

(O) Nieuw Amsterdam (IMO number 9378450).

(P) Noordam (IMO number 9230115).

(Q) Zuiderdam (IMO number 9221279).

(R) Majestic Princess (IMO number 9614141).

(S) Ovation of the Seas (IMO number 9697753).

(T) Radiance of the Seas (IMO number 9195195).

(U) Serenade of the Seas (IMO number 9228344).

(V) Eclipse (IMO number 9404314).

(W) Millennium (IMO number 9189419).

(X) Solstice (IMO number 9362530).

(Y) Norwegian Bliss (IMO number 9751509).

(Z) Norwegian Encore (IMO number 9751511).

(AA) Norwegian Jewel (IMO number 9304045).

(BB) Norwegian Spirit (IMO number 9141065).

(CC) Norwegian Sun (IMO number 9218131).

(DD) Ocean Victory (IMO number 9868869).

(EE) Pacific Princess (IMO number 9187887).

(FF) Pacific World (IMO number 9000259).

(GG) Quantum of the Seas (IMO number 9549463).

(HH) Queen Elizabeth (IMO number 9477438).

(II) Disney Wonder (IMO number 9126819).

(JJ) Regatta (IMO number 9156474).

(KK) Roald Amundsen (IMO number 9813072).

(LL) Ruby Princess (IMO number 9378462).

(MM) Sapphire Princess (IMO number 9228186).

(NN) Scenic Eclipse (IMO number 9797371).

(OO) Seabourn Odyssey (IMO number 9417086).

(PP) Seabourn Venture 2 (IMO 9862023).

(QQ) Seven Seas Mariner (IMO number 9210139).

(RR) Silver Shadow (IMO number 9192167).

(SS) Silver Wind (IMO number 8903935).

(TT) Star Breeze (IMO number 8807997).

(UU) Sylvia Earle (IMO number 9872327).

(VV) Westerdam (IMO number 9226891).

(WW) L’Austral (IMO number 9502518).

(XX) Silver Muse (IMO number 9784350).

(YY) Viking Orion (IMO number 9796250).

".....but they still will need to have a CSC under the CSO issued by the CDC." 

I had to chuckle because it reminded me so much of the novel "1984".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Canada may change their rules quickly - they don't want cruise lines to get in the habit of bypassing Vancouver.  

Probably not. Canada is lagging behind on vaccinations. Our government is relying on the controversial move of delaying the second dose to 16 weeks to get that first shot into as many people as possible. Most Canadians won’t be fully vaccinated until late July to mid September at best. Large cruise ships aren’t likely to be allowed before then.

Even if the cruise companies discover skipping Vancouver is convenient, it’s not their call to make. The PVSA exemption is temporary, which is the only reason its passing so quickly. Talk of permanently dropping the PVSA always triggers fierce opposition. 
Although, until the CDC actually lets the first cruise ship really truly sail from an American port, Canada’s restrictions have about as much affect on the Alaska season as they do on Caribbean one.

• Like 5