Iona arrival

jasperado

2 minutes ago, tring said:

I have come across debate about the term previously. it does not seem to be well understood.  Can you explain what it means?

This is the definition as applying to ships and not products etc.

The ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag 

Sorry if this has been mentioned before and I‘ve missed it, but what happens after the naming ceremony this evening? Is Iona staying in Southampton or going back to Denmark or somewhere else before her maiden voyage? 

Edited by SarahHben

Just now, MX-Drew said:

The ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag 

I was aware of that, from e.g. a Royal Naval stance.  It does not seem to make sense in a cruise line situation though, which is what confuses me.  I suspect it has something to do with advertising. 

22 minutes ago, tring said:

I was aware of that, from e.g. a Royal Naval stance.  It does not seem to make sense in a cruise line situation though, which is what confuses me.  I suspect it has something to do with advertising. 

It tends to be used to describe the best, or most important. Like the most prestigious shop in the chain, or biggest ,most impressive houses in the street etc. I would have thought that Iona would take over that role from Britannia, but apparently not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, emam said:

First inside pictures

Daily Echo: P&O Cruises’ Iona is named in Southampton today.
https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/19306286.p-o-cruises-iona-named-southampton-today/

Thanks, though I must say I do like their spelling of Iona, with the a transposed with the n - along with a capital I which does look like an L in non capitals. 

Perhaps a sign of the times given the financial state of Carnival 🙂

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

P&O always used to have a "Commodore", who is presumably 'Commander' but I haven't seen whether any of the Captains holds this title now?

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all the hardy souls who have been out there taking photographs. Good to see the excitement she is generating. I'm not remotely excited at her arrival but have often been in the past when new ships arrive, so very much understand it. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Just now, Essex_uk said:

Oh well. Expect it'll be on Netflix next 🙂

As Dermotsgirl said the link was sent by invite only.

Cruise Critic mods will close threads if there is any suggestion of sharing.

P&O are releasing a video of the event for everyone, who wants to watch to be able to do so. 

• Like 2

you didnt miss much to be honest 

Micah Paris (Who...and some kids sang) and some bloke called Gary Barlow "sang".... - thank god for the mute button on my laptop

We saw Paul Ludlow, Captain Wesley Dunlop, and Dame Irene Hays - Event hosted by Jo Whiley

Luckily and thankfully the bottle smashed against the hull 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisefan2012 said:

Micah Paris (Who...and some kids sang) and some bloke called Gary Barlow "sang".... - thank god for the mute button on my laptop

We saw Paul Ludlow, Captain Wesley Dunlop, and Dame Irene Hays - Event hosted by Jo Whiley

Agreed. It was at least half 'advertorial' for the many commercial partners they have. Why Gary Barlow insisted on pointing his mic towards the miniscule crowd and asking them to sing along, I really don't know. I thought the ship could have been better lit and I must say that I was expecting some fireworks, not just a little bit of confetti.

On the Plus side, the technology worked well considering it was P&O. I had no problem streaming it and that side went without a hitch.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruisefan2012 said:

I agree, impressive and we'll done🤣

• Like 1