2 adults and a teen?

amypet

Hi cruisers. Our family of 3 has traditionally gone on Celebrity cruises (in balcony cabins), but Im enticed by the longer port stays of Azamara. 

Im looking at a Black Sea Voyage for 2022 and it sounds really great.

Has anyone here shared a Azamara cabin with 3 people? How did it go? Any advice?

Thanks!

I certainly wouldn't try to share a non-suite bathroom among 3 people!  If the current offer was one of those that gives the same benefit to single travelers, I would suggest a regular Veranda plus a nearby Inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amypet said:

Hi cruisers. Our family of 3 has traditionally gone on Celebrity cruises (in balcony cabins), but Im enticed by the longer port stays of Azamara. 

Im looking at a Black Sea Voyage for 2022 and it sounds really great.

Has anyone here shared a Azamara cabin with 3 people? How did it go? Any advice?

Thanks!

I'd second the suggestion of a suite if budget allows. Remember if you choose one you will have it with a convertible sofa chair (it's a chair not a bed), so even numbered N1s or odd numbered N2s. Price it up though. A veranda and an inside might work better. Then you have two bathrooms (but less amenities and no butler). 

Having been in a standard cabin it would be very tight for three. People do it, but the standard cabins on Azamara are smaller than Celebrity and it shows (including the bathroom). 

Phil 

• Thanks 1

We have done this on several Az cruises and it's fine. The extra bed is basically a wide chair that they lay a mattress topper over,  but it suffices unless your teen is large! We have no problem with sharing a bathroom between 3, after all, we do at home! And we are only in the room to sleep.  We get a balcony room.

I shared a CC suite with two others and it was fine. I haven’t done it yet for Veranda. 

It could work based on having a good attitude. It will be tight and cozy. If your family camps this will seem like a step up.

Seating on the veranda will be for only two people. There will not be a ton floor space once the third bed is made up. You can fold away the bed once the teen is awake. 

Clean clothes can be stored in the suitcase under the bed if you run out of closet space. Monitor when the laundry room actually gets unlocked - it was a full half hour ahead of the posted time on my last cruise. 

Consider packing foldable desk storage cubes for all the little stuff that accumulates- chargers, brochures, coins, candy bars etc. Target sells ones called “mDesign Kids Fabric Closet Storage Organizer Cube Bin Box for Shelf”. 

Traveling with a teen can be great! Visiting former Soviet republics really brought to life the lessons from AP world history 

edited to add- the storage products come in a variety of sizes

Edited by MNgardens

At the risk of being a wet blanket, you might find that your teen is pretty bored while on the ship on an Amazara cruise. There’s every chance he/she is the only guest aboard in the age group and also find there’s no entertainment to appeal to them (and the wifi is poor).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have been on several Aza cruises that had "kids" on board, and they all seemed to have had a good time. It is NOT a ship for young kids, there are never many of them, and I think this is definitely one time when the teen him or herself really should be allowed significant input into the parent's plans. More than anything else, your child could very well be the ONLY child on board. It is not uncommon to see crew member's kids and family on board, but they invariably keep to themselves. Blessedly, there are no rock climbing walls or water slides. That said, if the child enjoys adult company and the presence of a hell of a lot of aunts, uncles, and grandparents, and want to play bridge or mah jong, I say go for it. I like the idea of a veranda plus inside rather than a suite if the arithmetic works for you, and there are adjoining rooms all over the ship. Standard rooms are small, two people are not a problem, 3 in that mini-bathroom, I don't want to think about it. We've traveled suite in the past, before prices went into the stratosphere, and while the rooms are deeper, ie, more space between the foot of the bed and the wall, they are not longer. As for the extra amenities, you get several bottles of hard liquor, a bath tub, a poor butler who has to wear tails while serving tea in your room (3 folks, rather cramped), and complementary supplemental dining. But that's it. That said, Aza cruises are truly fantastic, service is impeccable, food is wonderful, and the overall atmosphere is superb. If my folks had offered me a Black Sea cruise when I was 15, the only fly in the ointment was I was stuck in my own black hole room, I would have grabbed the chance in a heartbeat. I probably would have tolerated the indignity of having to bunk with them too and share the bathroom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, QueenP said:

We have done this on several Az cruises and it's fine. The extra bed is basically a wide chair that they lay a mattress topper over,  but it suffices unless your teen is large! We have no problem with sharing a bathroom between 3, after all, we do at home! And we are only in the room to sleep.  We get a balcony room.

Our teen isn't large, but she's tall...5'8"...Hmmm.Would this work, or do you think her feet would be hanging off?

2 hours ago, Dr H said:

We have been on several Aza cruises that had "kids" on board, and they all seemed to have had a good time. It is NOT a ship for young kids, there are never many of them, and I think this is definitely one time when the teen him or herself really should be allowed significant input into the parent's plans. More than anything else, your child could very well be the ONLY child on board. It is not uncommon to see crew member's kids and family on board, but they invariably keep to themselves. Blessedly, there are no rock climbing walls or water slides. That said, if the child enjoys adult company and the presence of a hell of a lot of aunts, uncles, and grandparents, and want to play bridge or mah jong, I say go for it. I like the idea of a veranda plus inside rather than a suite if the arithmetic works for you, and there are adjoining rooms all over the ship. Standard rooms are small, two people are not a problem, 3 in that mini-bathroom, I don't want to think about it. We've traveled suite in the past, before prices went into the stratosphere, and while the rooms are deeper, ie, more space between the foot of the bed and the wall, they are not longer. As for the extra amenities, you get several bottles of hard liquor, a bath tub, a poor butler who has to wear tails while serving tea in your room (3 folks, rather cramped), and complementary supplemental dining. But that's it. That said, Aza cruises are truly fantastic, service is impeccable, food is wonderful, and the overall atmosphere is superb. If my folks had offered me a Black Sea cruise when I was 15, the only fly in the ointment was I was stuck in my own black hole room, I would have grabbed the chance in a heartbeat. I probably would have tolerated the indignity of having to bunk with them too and share the bathroom.

Great input and you are confirming many things I was thinking as well as giving us more food for thought. As you say, Ill have to think about the arithmetic. 🙂

2 hours ago, amypet said:

Great input and you are confirming many things I was thinking as well as giving us more food for thought. As you say, Ill have to think about the arithmetic. 🙂

The veranda cabins are 175 sq & balcony is 40sq ft compared to Celebrity S class which are 194sq ft and balcony is 54 Sq ft.  I think the suggestion to book a balcony and an inside is a great solution if it is affordable,  more space, privacy and 2bathrooms.

We book Azamara for the itinerary but find there is little to do on sea days.   I would imagine a teen could easily be bored to death unless they are into history and can spend time researching the places you will visit.  

9 hours ago, AJCM said:

At the risk of being a wet blanket, you might find that your teen is pretty bored while on the ship on an Amazara cruise. There’s every chance he/she is the only guest aboard in the age group and also find there’s no entertainment to appeal to them (and the wifi is poor).

Oooh. Good to know! Ok, gonna stay with Celebrity for the time being. wifi is the nail in the coffin. 😉

On 5/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

I'd second the suggestion of a suite if budget allows. Remember if you choose one you will have it with a convertible sofa chair (it's a chair not a bed), so even numbered N1s or odd numbered N2s. Price it up though. A veranda and an inside might work better. Then you have two bathrooms (but less amenities and no butler). 

Having been in a standard cabin it would be very tight for three. People do it, but the standard cabins on Azamara are smaller than Celebrity and it shows (including the bathroom). 

Phil 

and no specialty dining, at least for two

• Like 1

4 hours ago, amypet said:

Oooh. Good to know! Ok, gonna stay with Celebrity for the time being. wifi is the nail in the coffin. 😉

It's not always bad....

And the itinerary, keep that in mind; how many will have the opportunity to do this, regardless of age?  I went to Europe when I was 16 (okay maybe it was before internet existed ) but I tell you what, the memories are burned into my brain forever as I went to places that were closed to tourists then.  Do you think the memories would outweigh the sporadic internet?

• Like 9

On 5/18/2021 at 1:49 AM, laurieb said:

It's not always bad....

And the itinerary, keep that in mind; how many will have the opportunity to do this, regardless of age?  I went to Europe when I was 16 (okay maybe it was before internet existed ) but I tell you what, the memories are burned into my brain forever as I went to places that were closed to tourists then.  Do you think the memories would outweigh the sporadic internet?

I agree. I would not use this as a deal breaker as that would be a mistake. For the most part I'm perfectly fine with the intetnet and have been able to stream Amazon Music and dip into Facebook. Many more considerations and totally dependent upon your daughter as to whether she would find a destination immersion cruise with the likelihood of her being one of the only teens onboard an issue and only the op will know that.  

Phil 

• Like 4

We have used the WiFi to be able to work as well as to keep in contact with family and friends. Very occasionally it was slow but we had no problems even when on board for more than a month. With port intensive cruise you will be put and about during the day and most cruisers will be in bar or cabaret in the evening so  WiFi should be OK. Cruisers are happy to have a teenager on board.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful insights. I love this itinerary and would really like to give Azamara a go, but am going to have to do it with hubby alone at some point.

Decided to put a deposit down on the Celebrity Reflection cruise in June with an overnight in Istanbul. 🙂

• Like 1

We are doing a Black Sea cruise on Azamara to repeat an overnight in Istanbul.

Our children travelled from being less than 6 months old around Europe and neither of them can resist travel. We took them worldwide as they became a little older. They both have degrees in completely different languages, have worked for at least a year overseas and have non UK partners. 

• Like 1

We are a family of 3 with a 16 year old daughter. We did it once with Oceania (same size ship), with an ocean view and it seemed a little claustrophobic.

This time we chose a Veranda and with the extra breathing room we should be OK. Looking forward to our Spain intensive trip.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:42 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

This is the closest I can come. It was taken for me by the Chief Housekeeper when I asked him about it and I wasn’t on the ship. Gives you an idea of size. 

PhilIMG_1795.JPG.17ddf19eb2c6e87cee4af3cb97930df7.JPG

Ohmigosh!  I spent 17 days sitting in that chair while on board cross stitching, reading, writing a journal, watching TV, eating breakfast and I never knew it converted into a bed for a third person!   Oh the things you learn on the internet.  🙂

A long time ago we took our then 13-yr old son on a cruise on the original Island Princess for a crossing from Vancouver to Hawaii.  He was the only kid on the ship (he was pretty sure he was the only person under 60 on the ship, but that wasn't true as we were only 40 at the time) and the staff were MARVELLOUS to him.  They got him involved in all sorts of things and they really took care of him and kept him entertained.  Halfway through the cruise one of the Cruise Director's staff told me that the Captain had written them a memo saying that he would be the only 'kid' on the ship and would they please show him a good time.  It was amazing!

• Like 1