MSC USA customer service got it right, may be improving

neptuno

Having sailed with MSC for the last decade since it introduced Poesia to Florida, we have certainly had many disappointments with customer service.  However, recently our last two interactions have been very positive and after all the negative rants I have posted it is only fair that I complement the employees who recently "got it right".   We have always enjoyed the on board experience here in the Caribbean and now finally have hope that customer service is catching up.  Thanks MSC USA, keep up the good work!

• Like 3

For those who don't understand the complaints with MSC Customer Service, all you have to do is read this forum to better understand those issues.

Because you had a good interaction with agents on one or more calls doesn't mean that the concerns of many, including yours truly, should be dismissed.

I've included many of the problems I've experienced, but not all, in a thread called MSC Comedy of Errors, but certainly there are many mirroring similar experiences.

It is a fact that many travel agents actively discourage their clients from booking MSC.  It's not that they are somehow crazy or misguided.  It's due to the many problems that a great many customers and travel agents have experienced.  In fact, I shared a screen shot yesterday from a conversation with a friend who is a Diamond Level cruiser on Carnival.  He was interested in trying out MSC, but his travel agent talked him out of it.  This is a recurring theme that cannot and should not be ignored.

Let me also make it clear that not only are some of us periodically venting, but we hope to improve things as well.  I have these conversations with MSC agents frequently.  Maybe it will make a difference, maybe not.

I don't generally believe that the frontline customer service agents are the problem, although clearly some are sharper than others.  But I think the primary issues stem from Corporate in Italy, and that's where some level of change should occur.  

Most of the complaints surround issues that to me are just common sense.  If you mess up a customer's reservation, fix it quickly.  If you're going to have to reschedule or cancel a cruise, let them know what's going on in a timely manner and offer them good options.  In my case, if you're going to take a 4 night cruise out of Barcelona and change it to a 20 night cruise out of Brazil on a different date with a totally different itinerary, maybe send a letter or e-mail, or pick up the phone and call them.  It's the simple things where they often seem to drop the ball, in my view.  I also think they need to put more authority in the hands of the frontline lead agents and supervisors.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

For those who don't understand the complaints with MSC Customer Service, all you have to do is read this forum to better understand those issues.

Because you had a good interaction with agents on one or more calls doesn't mean that the concerns of many, including yours truly, should be dismissed.

I've included many of the problems I've experienced, but not all, in a thread called MSC Comedy of Errors, but certainly there are many mirroring similar experiences.

It is a fact that many travel agents actively discourage their clients from booking MSC.  It's not that they are somehow crazy or misguided.  It's due to the many problems that a great many customers and travel agents have experienced.  In fact, I shared a screen shot yesterday from a conversation with a friend who is a Diamond Level cruiser on Carnival.  He was interested in trying out MSC, but his travel agent talked him out of it.  This is a recurring theme that cannot and should not be ignored.

Let me also make it clear that not only are some of us periodically venting, but we hope to improve things as well.  I have these conversations with MSC agents frequently.  Maybe it will make a difference, maybe not.

I don't generally believe that the frontline customer service agents are the problem, although clearly some are sharper than others.  But I think the primary issues stem from Corporate in Italy, and that's where some level of change should occur.  

Most of the complaints surround issues that to me are just common sense.  If you mess up a customer's reservation, fix it quickly.  If you're going to have to reschedule or cancel a cruise, let them know what's going on in a timely manner and offer them good options.  In my case, if you're going to take a 4 night cruise out of Barcelona and change it to a 20 night cruise out of Brazil on a different date with a totally different itinerary, maybe send a letter or e-mail, or pick up the phone and call them.  It's the simple things where they often seem to drop the ball, in my view.  I also think they need to put more authority in the hands of the frontline lead agents and supervisors.

Things with MSC corporate have not changed since 2012 so don't expect it to happen. Remember they are not beholden to share holders and anyone telling them they will go elsewhere will be met with a shrug of the shoulders.

14 minutes ago, sidari said:

Things with MSC corporate have not changed since 2012 so don't expect it to happen. Remember they are not beholden to share holders and anyone telling them they will go elsewhere will be met with a shrug of the shoulders.

Presumably they are business people.  Most good business people don't want their customers going elsewhere due to lack of customer service.  I can't imagine that the folks at the top wouldn't care about annoyed customers and travel agents telling their clients to look elsewhere.

Certainly I believe they could change, or I wouldn't bother.

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

But those of us who have never had a problem with MSC, and whose travel agents consistently seem to have no problem working with them, don't usually post here because there's nothing to say to add to the conversation.

4 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

But those of us who have never had a problem with MSC, and whose travel agents consistently seem to have no problem working with them, don't usually post here because there's nothing to say to add to the conversation.

Correct.  I mean, if someone goes way out of the way to help, that's noteworthy.  But just doing what they should be doing is not.

If one books a cruise that is not cancelled and no changes are made, they won't likely have a problem.  Once any of the above occurs, that's where things can get interesting.

Presumably they are business people.  Most good business people don't want their customers going elsewhere due to lack of customer service.  I can't imagine that the folks at the top wouldn't care about annoyed customers and travel agents telling their clients to look elsewhere.

Certainly I believe they could change, or I wouldn't bother.

When an Issue is questioned you have to wait for a response from the Europe office, the Country office often does not have the power to make a decision on a given complaint.

You only have to look at who controls the operation to see that little has changed over the years, a family business run by the family in the Italian way.

The same applies on the ships where most of the senior positions are taken up by Italian nationals.

On the first Divina TA to Miami the CD told us that he had to request permission from Head Office to print posters in Colour for something being planned on the ship, a large group held a meeting with the CD because the Captain didn't attend due to the fact that the itinerary had been changed and people had not been informed prior to or after joining the ship, sound familiar ?

I think he'll will freeze over before you would see any notable change, the common practice seems to be we don't care on many occasions.

On another cruise one couple were told by guest services that they would have to wait three days while checks were made to make sure they had bought the Premium package despite having shown paperwork to prove it.

1 hour ago, sidari said:

On another cruise one couple were told by guest services that they would have to wait three days while checks were made to make sure they had bought the Premium package despite having shown paperwork to prove it.

Thank goodness we won’t have that problem on the UK cruises as the price includes the premium package 🥂🍹😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stockjock said:

....Because you had a good interaction with agents on one or more calls doesn't mean that the concerns of many, including yours truly, should be dismissed....

Not of itself, I'd agree. But, when the same folks come on repeatedly to whinge and then try to discredit posters on a positive thread....then one might draw a certain conclusion! 😉

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback.  Personally we have a love/hate relationship with MSC.  Just sayin, they finally did us right for a change!   Looking forward to cruising again, fully vaxxed and back to socializing again, looking forward to sailing again on Divina. Come join us.

On 5/19/2021 at 7:06 AM, Couple-Somerset said:

+1

I'm sooo fed up of the same faces complaining every opportunity they get.

You even have those who like to list all the issues with a cruise from years ago and then book another cruise with the same company and start whinging all over again.

If you don't like MSC, move along to Carnival or stay at home.

I'm sooo fed up with apologists who are comfortable with extremely poor service and don't wish to see improvement.

The attitude of "take it or leave it" is the wrong attitude.  A better attitude is, "Let's help them to understand why travel agents are discouraging their clients from booking MSC".

Little things would be a big start.  Foremost would be improved customer communications.  Something like, "We cancelled your cruise" or "We changed the date of your cruise".   Simple things, for the most part.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:19 AM, hamrag said:

Not of itself, I'd agree. But, when the same folks come on repeatedly to whinge and then try to discredit posters on a positive thread....then one might draw a certain conclusion! 😉

What you have to remember is that the positive thread was in direct response to a thread about how there are service issues.  In my view, it would have been better off as a reply within that thread rather than an entirely new thread.  It was the "service issues" thread that compelled the OP to comment on how MSC actually got something right (imagine that?!).

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

I'm sooo fed up with apologists who are comfortable with extremely poor service and don't wish to see improvement.

I have not seen anyone indicate that they are "comfortable with extremely poor service".  We certainly would not be.

The point is that we have never experienced poor service with MSC, not even slightly sub-par service.

Why can't you accept the fact that some of us are satisfied, and just let it go?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The point is that we have never experienced poor service with MSC, not even slightly sub-par service.

Exactly, I'm not going to lie and say I had a poor experience just to show solidarity with someone who did. That wouldn't make any sense.

• Like 4

Recently booked our first MSC cruise, sailing July 11.  I didn't know about the military discount until after I paid for the cruise.  I called to see if we could get it applied to a fully booked reservation.  I was given the email address for existing reservations.  I sent them a message and attached my husband's proof of service.  2 days later I received a message approving the request.  

Today I had a problem with the website.  Unable to do the web check in.  A call confirmed that there was an issue with the site and I was given an alternate way to reach that section.  Completed the data entry with no issues.

Based on these two issues, my experience with MSC customer service is definitely positive.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Little things would be a big start.  Foremost would be improved customer communications.  Something like, "We cancelled your cruise" or "We changed the date of your cruise".   Simple things, for the most part.

Agree with this. Doesn't take long and would be a nice gesture.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 10:27 PM, GOLDENBONNY said:
  • Passengers don’t have to wear masks in their own cabins and can temporarily remove them “for brief periods of time while eating or drinking.”

Really ??? How was that before? 🙄

On 5/19/2021 at 10:06 AM, Couple-Somerset said:

+1

I'm sooo fed up of the same faces complaining every opportunity they get.

You even have those who like to list all the issues with a cruise from years ago and then book another cruise with the same company and start whinging all over again.

If you don't like MSC, move along to Carnival or stay at home.

LOL it would be too easy . ) I hate NCL , cruised once was more then enough for me .I will not book them again even for free and I don't go to NCL board to complain. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I have not seen anyone indicate that they are "comfortable with extremely poor service".  We certainly would not be.

Why can't you accept the fact that some of us are satisfied, and just let it go?

Good for you.  Move on.  If you don't want to read constructive criticism, skip those posts and focus on "happy talk".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stockjock said:

The attitude of "take it or leave it" is the wrong attitude.  A better attitude is, "Let's help them to understand why travel agents are discouraging their clients from booking MSC".

I'm soooooooo fed up with 'life mission' repeat whingers! 🙄

And, I sense many others feel similar whist understanding that no cruiseline is or can be perfect. 😉

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I'm soooooooo fed up with 'life mission' repeat whingers! 🙄

And, I sense many others feel similar whist understanding that no cruiseline is or can be perfect. 😉

Not being "perfect" and cancelling and changing cruise dates are with zero notification are far different things.

If you haven't had any problems, move along.  When you have these problems, keep them to yourself.  Stick to the happy talk threads.

Eva Braun once said that Adolf was a lovely guy.  She never had any problem with him at all.  Proof positive that there was no problem.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

.....If you haven't had any problems, move along....

So, you are advocating only problems are to be aired in your world...ignore the positives!! 🥱

Our October 2020 Yacht Club cruise on Meraviglia was cancelled. Before final payment they notified us, clearly explaining the reason....we already knew why, of course, but their comms were excellent. They also advised we would receive a FCC for 125% of payment. We assumed that would amount to £250, as we had only paid deposit of £200.

Within two weeks MSC advised that our FCC was in place, and clearly detailed the timeline for using such. The value of the FCC was over £1000, so I asked the question and was advised the FCC was based on the full cost of the cruise. Therefore, the amount credited as FCC represented 25% of money I had never parted with.

That is one, and only one, example of exemplary customer service. There are others, but I shan't bore you with any more positive experiences.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

So, you are advocating only problems are to be aired in your world...ignore the positives!! 🥱

Our October 2020 Yacht Club cruise on Meraviglia was cancelled. Before final payment they notified us, clearly explaining the reason....we already knew why, of course, but their comms were excellent. They also advised we would receive a FCC for 125% of payment. We assumed that would amount to £250, as we had only paid deposit of £200.

Within two weeks MSC advised that our FCC was in place, and clearly detailed the timeline for using such. The value of the FCC was over £1000, so I asked the question and was advised the FCC was based on the full cost of the cruise. Therefore, the amount credited as FCC represented 25% of money I had never parted with.

That is one, and only one, example of exemplary customer service. There are others, but I shan't bore you with any more positive experiences.

Of course one doesn't wish to ignore the positives.  I've written several reviews on my MSC cruises and certainly they are more positive than negative.  But some are insultingly dismissive of these recurring issues simply because they haven't personally experienced them (yet).

On 5/22/2021 at 10:50 AM, hamrag said:

They also advised we would receive a FCC for 125% of payment. We assumed that would amount to £250, as we had only paid deposit of £200.

Within two weeks MSC advised that our FCC was in place, and clearly detailed the timeline for using such. The value of the FCC was over £1000,

Thats incredible!

I hope I get the same offer for my Sep & Oct 2021 cancelled cruises,

The deposit on each was $398.. I would be happy with just a $498 FCC for each cancelled cruise, leave alone $1000.

14 minutes ago, drsel said:

Thats incredible!

I hope I get the same offer for my Sep & Oct 2021 cancelled cruises,

The deposit on each was $398.. I would be happy with just a $498 FCC for each cancelled cruise, leave alone $1000.

You won't, they have stopped doing it now as far as I understand. I guess someone senior in Corporate realised what was happening, and decided 'no way' going forward!