San Pedro to LAX

jamesnnb

Any comments re catching an LAX flight after docking at LA Cruise Terminal in San Pedro?  Is check-in at the airport taking even longer these days?  Does a cab help you get there faster/direct?  We're looking at a direct flight home leaving LAX at 10:35am or a one-stop at 12:20pm.  Sure would like that non-stop but 10:35 and all the new requirements getting to your gate makes it sound really 'iffy'.  I know it's early but we are starting to look at air flights for our next (booked) cruise.

Edited by jamesnnb
Incorrectly said Long Beach -- meant San Pedro.

I know this doesn’t answer your question but are you sure you are disembarking in Long beach?  Usually long beach is used as a port stop and embarkation/disembarkation is at San Pedro.  It’s possible it is long beach, but you may get different answers depending which is right.

• jamesnnb changed the title to San Pedro to LAX

San Pedro is our home port. Sailed out of and return several times. Not only what you mention, but everything these days is going to take longer. Cutting to the chase, I'd go for the later flight, much as I dislike a connecting flight. The big hang-up potentially would be some kind of disembarkation testing. It's looking like those who are vaccinated will not require testing. That was the word this week, but who knows...

You could request early walk-off disembarkation, which will get you through the Passport check faster.  (They don't have many Passport windows open usually.) Then if you Uber or Lyft, no problem getting there on time. Likewise for local operator Primetime Shuttle.  That way, an early flight is possible.  You didn't mention arrival day, presuming a weekend for traffic.

If you choose to have you luggage taken the night before, then wait at Passport line and take a Princess bus, which takes time to fill and face weekday traffic, you will be in for some anxiety. In that case, take the later flight. Have a go-all-day breakfast on the ship so you don't have to eat at the airport.

The TSA app/site shows average security times but there’s no way to accurately forecast the times in the future. Been reading that the number of passengers are the highest since the pandemic began & they’re forecasting even more crowded travel resources beginning this summer.

The earliest cruise from SP is 8/28/21 which if like our late October 2021 roll call is nearly all people who can drive to the port. So it’ll be at least 3 months before any reports are available about how the disembarkation process goes.

I’ve flown from FLL at 1030 but I’d be hesitant to try it at LAX but my crystalball is cloudy & not clear. 😉 We usually book Flexible EZAir early & then make adjustments based on flights & prices.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If I do a mock booking/ flight on Princess EZAir, the earliest they can "guarantee" a flight is 12:30 pm out of LAX. This is usually a pretty good guideline.

We have cruised out of San Pedro and know S. Cal very well (grew up there). Your ship will probably dock about 6:15 am, but what if it is late?

We took Uber from LAX to San Pedro and the drive was about 35 minutes and traffic was pretty good that day. But what if it is not?

I would book through Princess EZAir and their earliest choice. Then, if something unexpected happens, they will help you out.

Thanks, all.  Great comments and greatly appreciated.  The later flight is what it will be no doubt. Too many unknowns and who wants to worry the last days of your cruise!  Thanks, again.  You're all correct. Noon+ it shall be.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesnnb said:

Thanks, all.  Great comments and greatly appreciated.  The later flight is what it will be no doubt. Too many unknowns and who wants to worry the last days of your cruise!  Thanks, again.  You're all correct. Noon+ it shall be.  

I'll second that.  I've had no problem in the past getting from San Pedro to LAX before noon by both a princess transfer as well as using bus and light rail, but better to be safe than sorry.  There are far too many potentials to delay you from being late docking, late getting off, bad traffic and the airport is nearly 20 miles from the port.  The last few times I flew out my flight was at 1pm and I made it with plenty of time to spare but there was 1 time a while back where it would have been tight to make a noon flight.

We flew out of and back into LAX LAST WEEK doing a trip to Portland to see our daughters.  We left lots of extra time since we had no idea how things might be affected...We took an Uber to the airport...

We were SHOCKED when we found very little traffic all the way to LAX from our home--despite it being midday on a weekday.  AT LAX, rather than the usual back-up of cars, it seemed almost empty.  Our Uber drove right up to the curb at Terminal 6/Alaska Airlines and we got out and walked right up to the counter--almost...there were two families ahead of us...and both seemed to have check-in issues...and that was the FIRST CLASS line...So, I looked over at the regular line...and it was flat-out empty!!  One of the agents manning that line noticed me and motioned us over...and about a minute later, we had checked our luggage and were on our way to the gate.

At the TSA station, there was zero line as well...We had our boarding passes and passports checked...and right to the conveyor belts and immediately through the x-ray.  There were NO extra steps due to Covid, no one asked for a test result or for our vaccination cards...

I asked one of the TSA guys if this was unusual and he said "It's been this way for a long time now...I think we're running at about 25% of the usual crowd"...

We had so much time and we were in First Class, so we made our way to the Alaska Lounge.  Then came the first time we saw anything to do with changed rules due to Covid...There was a sign saying that they were operating with reduced capacity due to the pandemic and the lounge was full....but people had been coming out and no one was removing that sign, so we ignored it and walked in....NO PROBLEM...They did have some seats marked with signs warning not to use due to social distancing--but not a problem--there were plenty of available open seats.  Only big change is the food buffet was no longer self-service...you had to ask one of the workers to get you food and snacks...no real problem...

When the boarding time came, we headed over to the gate and right on the plane.

I have usually, in non-Covid times, NEVER found LAX to be as daunting as many people claim...but this was even many times EASIER than that...

I don't know how things will be next time we plan to fly--in July for our Apex cruise--but I cannot imagine any of this will cause any possible delays more than usual...AGAIN, this was EASY...

I would stick with the later flight. I would not expect an LAX experience last week to be the same next week and certainly not two months down the line. Things are changing quickly. Maui, for example, may be back to pre-pandemic visitor levels this summer and it had been predicted it would take 2023 to get there.

There is a lot of pent up demand just waiting for the full go signal.

• 1 month later...

CineGraphic:  The earlier non-stop (which I would love to take) is before 11am and I would be just a little nervous to cut it that short.  We normally do the first walk-off and use to take the shuttle to LAX. Usually we would be able to make that 10:35am flight  (i.e., at the airport in plenty of time) but still wouldn't want to chance it.

Scottca075:  I would agree -- later is more relaxing.  Ship could come in late and LAX is a guess.

Thanks, all.

If I may ask a question.  I am getting ready to book airline to La for our cruise of of San Pedro in Oct on Princess.  How far is Long Beach airport from the cruise port.  We have choice of LAX or LGB; price is almost the same same.  LAX would be nonstop and LGB would be one stop which is no big deal  I know long beach is not a big airport.  Thank for your answers

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If I may ask a question.  I am getting ready to book airline to La for our cruise of of San Pedro in Oct on Princess.  How far is Long Beach airport from the cruise port.  We have choice of LAX or LGB; price is almost the same same.  LAX would be nonstop and LGB would be one stop which is no big deal  I know long beach is not a big airport.  Thank for your answers

LAX is 20 miles from San Pedro, LGB is 16 miles...So distance is not really a big thing...

The advantage to LGB is its small size--easier to get in and out of...LAX, OTOH, has far more choices--more flights to more places on more airlines at more times.  Personally, I wouldn't give up a non-stop anywhere for having to make a stop--too many things can go wrong.  I live closer to BUR than LAX...but, unless I get a nonstop somewhere out of BUR, I'll use LAX...I love BUR for its small size.  I flew this past week out of LAX but returned to BUR...and had the dangedest time trying to get home from BUR...They're not allowing shuttles and none of the ride shares could even get me a car/driver...After an hour of trying, we ended up finally finding a taxi for about twice the price an Uber should have been.  Often, small is limiting!

12 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

LAX is 20 miles from San Pedro, LGB is 16 miles...So distance is not really a big thing...

It isn't just the distance, the 20 miles from LAX and having to fight the traffic and the South Bay Curve, make the 20 miles much longer time wise and that is once you get a shuttle, Uber or car rental.

You have a very long walk to the curb from your gate at LAX, then you have to use a shuttle to get to your shuttle, Uber or car rental. A passenger deplaning at LGB could darn near be at the port before the LAX passenger has even gotten to his shuttle, Uber or car rental.

I avoid LAX all I can.I use SAN, SNA and even SFO more than LAX.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Profguy said:

Not sure if this should be a new thread. 

If I walk off at San Pedro, is it easy to get a van for 4 people (or 2 taxis) to LAX or is the wait really bad? Is it possible to pre-book a private transfer?

When is this for? Ordinarily I'd say pre-book an Uber Black SUV, but I don't know how many there are right now. There are cabs lined up waiting.

4 hours ago, Profguy said:

Not sure if this should be a new thread. 

If I walk off at San Pedro, is it easy to get a van for 4 people (or 2 taxis) to LAX or is the wait really bad? Is it possible to pre-book a private transfer?

I would pre-book with Uber...

There MAY be taxis waiting...but, of course, there may not...and taxis will likely cost more than Uber...

If you pre-book with Uber, you get your set price in advance...which is worthwhile...

And it's easy to find your Uber at San Pedro...and can track it using their app...

4 people with luggage may require you to get an Uber XL...but that would be easier and chaper than trying to deal with finding two cabs and jamming into those...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I would pre-book with Uber...

There MAY be taxis waiting...but, of course, there may not...and taxis will likely cost more than Uber...

If you pre-book with Uber, you get your set price in advance...which is worthwhile...

And it's easy to find your Uber at San Pedro...and can track it using their app...

4 people with luggage may require you to get an Uber XL...but that would be easier and chaper than trying to deal with finding two cabs and jamming into those...

Thanks.  Saw the same thing about uber. Sounds like a great idea