Australia -- maybe?

bitob

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Not sure I would hold my breath on this. According to Mr. Google approximately 36% of Americans are fully vaccinated and I suspect that number would have to be well north of 50 - 60% before Australia might reconsider. I don't think the US can get there in the time remaining before Crystal has to make a decision on the WC itinerary. Of course, this is all idle speculation on my part.

• Like 2

It would also mean that Crystal would have to limit bookings to those from people from a short list of vaxxed countries (vs accepting fully vaxxed people from any country). Seems like a big logistical challenge to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Not sure I would hold my breath on this. According to Mr. Google approximately 36% of Americans are fully vaccinated and I suspect that number would have to be well north of 50 - 60% before Australia might reconsider

Bigger issue is how many Australians are vaccinated - and we have a long way to go on that front 

Theres a “healthy” dose of vaccine scepticism here at the moment - excuse the pun

1 minute ago, suzeluvscruz said:

We're so happy we had a few trips to Australia...would be fun to do more and see friends, but time marches on and we don't get any younger.😰

We’ll come to you onboard then and bring Australian goodies - and Skippy of course if it happens to coincide with Australia Day 🦘 🇦🇺- and of course there’s always Australian wines onboard 🥂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

We’ll come to you onboard then and bring Australian goodies - and Skippy of course if it happens to coincide with Australia Day 🦘 🇦🇺- and of course there’s always Australian wines onboard 🥂 

🥰🥰🥰

16 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Bigger issue is how many Australians are vaccinated - and we have a long way to go on that front 

Theres a “healthy” dose of vaccine scepticism here at the moment - excuse the pun

Before the vaccinations started to roll out here, the pollsters were telling us the "vaccine hesitant" were at about 30% of the population. As of earlier this week, with about 50% of the population having had at least one shot, that number has dropped to about 11%, so things may well improve for Australia. The bigger problem for the world is the large vaccine resistance in the US where it seems to have become politicized!

16 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

The bigger problem for the world is the large vaccine resistance in the US where it seems to have become politicized!

I don't think that will be the case in the long run.  The US is at 56.8% of eligible population with at least one shot, and that's of course rising.  And when we get down to the hard-core "no shot for me" crowd, I don't think they'll affect international travel much, as I'll bet a high percentage of them have never held a passport.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

And when we get down to the hard-core "no shot for me" crowd, I don't think they'll affect international travel much, as I'll bet a high percentage of them have never held a passport.  

The anti vaxxers I personally know have passports, are very well traveled, and are highly educated.  At least one taught at Harvard .  They have studied the science.  

Edited by Travel2Learn

3 minutes ago, Travel2Learn said:

The anti vaxxers I personally know have passports, are very well traveled, and are highly educated.  At least one taught at Harvard and another is a well known international lecturer.  They have studied the science.  

"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Travel2Learn said:

The anti vaxxers I personally know have passports, are very well traveled, and are highly educated.  At least one taught at Harvard .  They have studied the science.  

Some anti vaxxers in Europe are apparently even getting fake vaccine passports in order to be able to travel and to not be limited because being unvaccinated …

Ivi

I was bouncing around the Australian Outback earlier today and came across this regular Crystal guest entertainer. Here is where to see him (if you are already in Australia). I guess the rest of us will have to wait until he and we are back on board.

Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary's photo.
FRI, JUL 23 AT 7:00 PM UTC+09:30 AND 2 MORE
  • Like 2

I think a good indicator on vaccine in the USA will be by mid to late Summer as the program has been expanded to those younger and only open to everyone above those ages about a month ago.  So we need to give this more time.

The good news is where it has been open the longest (other than health care professionals and some other people close to 85% of those 64 and older have gotten vaccinated and over 73% fully vaccinated.

And when you go to ages 18 and above 60% have had one vaccination and over 48% fully vaccinated. Remember only 5 months ago we had almost no one vaccinated.

If we can get to the 70 to 80% range let's see what that all means.  

OK so that is the good news.

On the challenging side are the variants and the confusion with what the CDC said.  I have applauded the CDC the past few months but I don't think the did the recent rollout very well.  Yes, I know the wanted to show the positive if you get vaccinated but unfortunately what they said is not practical (eg., if you are vaccinated no need to wear a mask indoors in most cases but if you are not you should). Well, you can't police this, and many stores have lifted the mandate.

I would have suggested instead the highlighted more about what they said a couple of weeks ago which his if you are vaccinated no need to wear a mask outdoors because even if those not vaccinated did that based on the science that would not have been very bad.  Then on the indoor thing maybe they should have said if you are vaccinated you likely are fine not to wear a mask but we want to wait on this until the August time frame when we project 70% of all Americans will have had at least one vaccination.

The scary part right now is many who are not vaccinated won't wear masks indoors (my assumption) and what does this mean for new cases.

Other thing is the booster. When will we need it?  

Just like since March of 2020 this virus won't go away easy so the question is do we get another wave.  I hope not  Time will tell.

Keith

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TER777 said:

I was bouncing around the Australian Outback earlier today and came across this regular Crystal guest entertainer. Here is where to see him (if you are already in Australia). I guess the rest of us will have to wait until he and we are back on board.

Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary's photo.
FRI, JUL 23 AT 7:00 PM UTC+09:30 AND 2 MORE

I wonder how much these artists earn and how they were doing during the pandemic.. I hope they are doing alright

I have been looking at "options" in case my 37 days on Crystal WC does not happen (OZ and NZ are out).  Every line I would consider plans to be OZ or NZ at that time.  If OZ does not open, the scrambling for new itineraries is going to be extraordinary.  My guess is that the Caribbean will be VERY crowed.

Another positive.

Some States in the USA are offering those who get the COVID-19 vaccine an opportunity to enter a lottery where the winner gets a cash payout.  This is resulting in more people getting vaccinations.  

Keith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Another positive.

Some States in the USA are offering those who get the COVID-19 vaccine an opportunity to enter a lottery where the winner gets a cash payout.  This is resulting in more people getting vaccinations.  

Keith

Whereas in Canada a lot of people would gladly pay to be vaccinated 🙂. As of now the date of our second dose is up in the air 😞 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Another positive.

I don’t see it as a positive - I think awarding a lottery prize to someone who has been vaccinated is somewhat abhorrent - there’s many more appropriate purposes that money could be used for that would benefit a wider community 

People should not need to be bribed to do their bit in protecting themselves and the wider community

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I don’t see it as a positive - I think awarding a lottery prize to someone who has been vaccinated is somewhat abhorrent - there’s many more appropriate purposes that money could be used for that would benefit a wider community 

People should not need to be bribed to do their bit in protecting themselves and the wider community

Personally, I don't give a flying fig as to the motive that gets a person to the preferred outcome. The optimal outcome from a suboptimal motivation if fine with me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

It’s absolutely shameful that we have to drag the remaining US population kicking and screaming to get a vaccine that the rest of the world would do anything to have such access to, but that’s where we’re at.  If “protecting themselves or the wider community” was any kind of priority around here anymore, all the BS against masks would never have taken hold.

Given all that, I’m with Ken, and I’m fine with the incentives.  Whatever it takes to get more people vaccinated, because we’re never going to get there in my state at the rate we’re going…. And we now have unvaccinated people wandering around in stores unmasked in my county with a minority of the population fully vaccinated, so the stakes are rising quickly.

Vince

(Just received Moderna shot #2 today)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

To each his/her own.

Many of us certainly didn't need an incentive to get vaccinated. Saving our live, preventing some type of health risk and helping prevent the spread of this was enough for many of us.

However, some places decided to add in incentives of late as demand for the vaccine slowed whether it was a lottery for money, a lottery for tickets to playoff basketball games, or free hamburgers.  It is working and if it gets  more people to get vaccinated those states and cities have determined it is a small cost relative to the benefit of more people getting the vaccine.

IN the end, it doesn't matter what you or I think and what would drive each of us to get vaccinated.  In the end what matters is getting as many people vaccinated as possible and IMHO the more people wh get vaccinated is a positive.

Keith

• Like 1

5 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

Whereas in Canada a lot of people would gladly pay to be vaccinated 🙂. As of now the date of our second dose is up in the air 😞 

Claudia for so many of us and our friends the incentive was the vaccine itself.  I know so many of us were thrilled to get the first and second jabs but we are now to a point where demand slowed so Governor's and Mayors in some of our cities and states are  looking for ways to get more of their reluctant portion of their population vaccinated.

For so many of us we couldn't wait to get vaccinated but just like most things unfortunately several people didn't share our view. 

Keith

• Like 1