Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I don’t see it as a positive - I think awarding a lottery prize to someone who has been vaccinated is somewhat abhorrent - there’s many more appropriate purposes that money could be used for that would benefit a wider community 

People should not need to be bribed to do their bit in protecting themselves and the wider community

I’m with you on this one - I couldn’t believe what I was reading.  However, considering the number of for v against comments I can only assume it must be an ‘outsider’ view!!!!    I’m already on the countdown to receive my booster shot!!!  

Anne

Edited by Jayayeff

In the USA most places do not offer incentives but some do.  I remember seeing in NYC I think you get a free hamburger.  Seems sill but it also promotes getting a vaccine when this was announced and the Mayor spoke about its importance.

I believe the first monetary amount was in West Virginia. I think they offered $100.00 for people to get vaccinated but believe it might have been directed at the younger ones.  Could be wrong.

Any yes, Ohio offered the opportunity to go into a 1 Million dollar lottery.  The Governor who made the decision considered the overall cost versus the benefits of getting a lot more people vaccinated versus the costs in lost lives, hospitalization and a myriad of other costs.  I think it was Ohio or maybe another state but they said the lottery drove vaccines up by I believe 28%.  While it's sad an incentive is needed IMHO that is actually good money spent as I suspect the payback of preventing tens of thousands of new cases (maybe more) is significantly less than all of the health care costs and other costs for those who would come ill, require hospitalization or die not to mention if this thing doesn't get into check the costs to our economy.

This is an article on it including some small incentives just like the hamburger in NYC that was offered in Canada.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7858373/covid-vaccine-incentives-canada-reward/

I might add that the USA normally doesn't provide free vaccinations so we are spending billions of dollars on this and trust me if it was not free many people would not get it.

Now if you can afford a Crystal Cruise you will pay out of pocket, but in our country where we don't get free health care there are a good number of people who would not spend the money to pay for the vaccine(s).

As I said, a lottery doesn't motivate me because we know the importance of getting the vaccine but just like some people don't think they should invent people to get the vaccine there are people not only in the USA who think vaccines are harmful and who also think COVID-19 is made up and a hoax.  And I suspect there are people around the world who do not believe it in either or need a push to get it.

We have spent trillions of dollars in coat related to COVID-19 in the USA to put incentive in perspective.

News the last few days is more promising in the USA on turning COVID-19 around.  I still have concerns and within the USA there are some states that are far below the national average.

Anyway, another issue we can all agree to disagree.

Yes, in the USA Pfizer is talking about a booster for the first group of people who got the vaccine and speculates they would get it in September but many of the scientists say we still don't know when it will be needed and some speculate 1 year from the initial date.  I hope it's closer to a year and it should allow people in the USA to get it easily the way they get the flu vaccine.  I just hope when it is time for a booster that people get it and not procrastinate whether or not they win the lottery.  LOL.  

Keith

6 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

I’m with you on this one - I couldn’t believe what I was reading.  However, considering the number of for v against comments I can only assume it must be an ‘outsider’ view!!!!    I’m already on the countdown to receive my booster shot!!!  

Anne

Yes, those of you who stayed with the British Empire have very different attitudes on certain subjects than those of us who said "adios"!

Patty

I too was conflicted about the “incentive” issue for some time. No more. I don’t care how we accomplish it, the more people get vaccinated the safer everyone will be and the sooner will get back to living our best lives. This is also why I’m also completely in favour of whatever is done by rich countries like ours to ensure vaccine access to every corner of the world.

1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

I too was conflicted about the “incentive” issue for some time. No more. I don’t care how we accomplish it, the more people get vaccinated the safer everyone will be and the sooner will get back to living our best lives. This is also why I’m also completely in favour of whatever is done by rich countries like ours to ensure vaccine access to every corner of the world.

This is my thinking precisely.

They said in Ohio after the Governor did this the demand went up by 25%.

Now if they asked me for input I would say.  Give each person who gets a vaccine a free Crystal Cruise.  Good for us and good for Crystal. And good for those who get the vaccine.   LOL.  😃

Keith

Ahhh, interesting news, though not because I expect to be on a Crystal Cruise ship anywhere near Australia soon. (Next booked Crystal travel is in April, 2022, from Athens, Greece.)

But after our wonderful visit to Australia/NZ after the South Pacific cruise which we concluded just before the world shut down last year, we decided to return -- and I booked a points ticket from Ottawa to Sydney in November.  The earlier suggestion that things would stay totally closed then suggested to me that I would be redeeming my points but now there is a chance that we will actually go. 

But I'm not paying for hotels, nor the week-long cycling tour in Taupo, NZ just yet -- COVID numbers really need to come down in Canada first, and of course we need to get our second shot. (I have Moderna/wife has Pfizer). Canadian authorities have decided to defer second doses until most of the population has the first dose, which may make sense since delays seem to actually increase the second dose effectiveness -- let alone giving broad coverage in the population.  Locally most people are grabbing the vaccine when they can, the nutcase anti-vaccer world is just a few KM south of us in Northern New York, but that is a different country, and culture.

2 hours ago, Publisher1953 said:

and I booked a points ticket from Ottawa to Sydney in November.  The earlier suggestion that things would stay totally closed then suggested to me that I would be redeeming my points but now there is a chance that we will actually go. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don’t think you’ll be visiting Australia (and probably not NZ either) in November 2021. Our Government has been very clear about when they expect borders to reopen and that’s mid 2022

Australia won’t have everyone vaccinated by November 

The only exception is mutual travel bubbles like between Aust and NZ now - but I can’t see an Aust and Canada bubble happening anytime soon 

Seems clear to me as well -- and I am not an Aussie.

I wish Crystal would acknowledge this reality sooner rather than later and let us know what is happening with Serenity so we can all make alternative plans if necessary.

So, if Oz and NZ are out for the purposes of the WC, could Crystal substitute that chuck of itinerary with SE Asia and Africa before it heads up to the Middle East? I personally would not mind this.

47 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

So, if Oz and NZ are out for the purposes of the WC, could Crystal substitute that chuck of itinerary with SE Asia and Africa before it heads up to the Middle East? I personally would not mind this.

With Taiwan/Singapore/Japan now dealing with large numbers of new cases, and the situation in India still looking terrible, I don't see how Crystal could confidently make that big a change to the WC itinerary. Realistically, they would have to make the announcement at least a month before the final payment date in September, and while I hope for everyone's sake that those countries have stabilized enough by then, I am not sure they will.

A long shot would include Maldives and Seychelles and not sure if any of the islands off Africa would be open then up to all the Emirate states before entering the Red Sea. With overnights included could fill up some of the schedule.

For those who are more in the know -- will they cancel the entire cruise?

Or will they leave some legs in place and make substitutions?

I am on the April crossing from Montecarlo and that is tied to another cruise I am taking before that on a different line.   Any chance that transatlantic leg will still exist?

I would think Crystal would want to inform folks as soon as possible in order to fill the ships when new itineraries are announced.

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

For those who are more in the know -- will they cancel the entire cruise?

Or will they leave some legs in place and make substitutions?

I am on the April crossing from Montecarlo and that is tied to another cruise I am taking before that on a different line.   Any chance that transatlantic leg will still exist?

I would think Crystal would want to inform folks as soon as possible in order to fill the ships when new itineraries are announced.

Purely a guess, but I suspect they would cancel the whole thing. Extrapolating from my previous post, if Asia/India are ruled out for the WC, then it wouldn't make sense to send Serenity either trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic when she is scheduled for Alaska in the summer of 2022. Of course this is all pure speculation and I am sure happy I am not the one trying to sort it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Regent appears to be cancelling their early 2022 cruises to Australia and NZ (they show waitlisted, similar to what Crystal does when they’re about to cancel a sailing). If Crystal follows suit it won’t be too long before they do too, as some here have said, likely before final payment on the WC is due. At this time I think the odds are even lower than a couple of weeks ago.

I just want a decision -- whatever it may be

We have 37 days on 2 consecutive legs and another 20 on another leg later in 2022.

With the world opening up, we would like to know if we have to make other plans in time to do so.

I am sure many of you are similarly affected and just want to make alternative plans if need be.

My preference is to be on a Crystal ship somewhere . . . .

I agree -- the odds are not good.

2 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

Regent appears to be cancelling their early 2022 cruises to Australia and NZ (they show waitlisted, similar to what Crystal does when they’re about to cancel a sailing). If Crystal follows suit it won’t be too long before they do too, as some here have said, likely before final payment on the WC is due. At this time I think the odds are even lower than a couple of weeks ago.

Just to clarify on Regent. They have cancelled the entire Asia/Pacific season on one ship, Explorer, however, they have also said that the world cruise will go ahead. We are booked on it, so will see what happens to the itinerary.

Yes, well Air Canada just canceled our flights to Australia, so indeed we aren't going there this November. Points returned to the account, possibly for another shot at it in 2022. So next major trip defaults to Crystal Cruise's Athens - Israel voyage in April. (Right over Jewish Passover/Christian Easter).

Locally, in Ontario the race is on between vaccinations and virulent COVID-19 variants,  Most of the adult population has had their first shot and public health authorities are now pushing to get the second shots out.  Caseloads have dropped from a spike in late April but the virus contagion speed is scary.  I'm crossing my fingers that the vaccinations will reach the herd immunity stage within the next month before there is a resurgence.

We are on the 2022 Regent WC. Two weeks are so ago NCL Holding announced the start dates for their individual ships. The Regent Explorer was removed from Asia but it was announced the “epic WC will go as planned”. Our final payment is due in July. I am hearing Australia/New Zealand debating allowing smaller cruise ships and a decision to be made next 2 weeks. There is actually a thread regarding this on the Australian section of Cruise Critic. In addition NCL holdings is requiring all passengers and crew to be vaccinated.

I am sure the intinerary will change the next few months but we are fortunate that the WC is not a true WC and sticks to the pacific rim avoiding Africa, SA, India and the Middle East. 
Fingers crossed. Hoping that both Crystal and Regent cruisers will be able to have some interesting itineraries.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, travelwell said:

.......... I am hearing Australia/New Zealand debating allowing smaller cruise ships and a decision to be made next 2 weeks.......

Where did you hear this?? At the moment, no one is allowed into New Zealand other than NZ citizens and residents for the foreseeable future. No international travellers, vaccinated or not. 

We have done a very good job of containing the virus, with only 26 deaths in total since March last year. We're not likely to risk that.

Of course it also means we can't travel overseas unless we want to quarantine for 2 weeks at our own expense on return.

Edited by Korimako
Spelling
15 minutes ago, Korimako said:

At the moment, no one is allowed into New Zealand other than NZ citizens and residents for the foreseeable future. No international travellers, vaccinated or not. 

Add to that Australian citizens and residents as there is a travel bubble agreed between the two countries that allows for quarantine less travel between the two - and I believe you also have some Pacific neighbours that a bubble has been agreed to

But your message is still correct - no wide open borders and nothing on the immediate horizon that will change that 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bitob said:

What is the definition of "smaller"???

Currently it’s 200 or less - including both passengers and crew 

A number of lines who were keen to bring ships here applied initially but have simply given up trying as the rules and decision process has proven to be slow and complex 

Edited by Stickman1990
20 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Currently it’s 200 or less - including both passengers and crew 

A number of lines who were keen to bring ships here applied initially but have simply given up trying as the rules and decision process has proven to be slow and complex 

If that is the case, Crystal needs to step up and make some decisions so that those of us affected can make some alternative plans.  Does not look like anything will change substantially in the next few months.  Barring a miracle, Australia and NZ will not be on a WC itinerary

I read and understand the frustrations with the uncertainty as to what Crystal is doing, balanced against the certainty that Australia and New Zealand (and other south Pacific countries) will not be open.

When is final payment due?  I suspect that is the time Crystal will make its announcement.  

What are the expectations with respect to the bonus percentage on the FCCs?