When will river cruises restart in Europe? Here's the latest

Host Jazzbeau

We were booked on an Emerald cruise on the Rhone in September, which has just been cancelled. Looking at their website, a number of their European cruises have been pulled, maybe because the Aussies and Kiwis can't come over. We live in France and things here are not too bad at the moment, hopefully that will continue after the holiday season.

14 minutes ago, sailing oldie said:

We were booked on an Emerald cruise on the Rhone in September, which has just been cancelled.

Sorry to read that. I gather Scenic has had to turn two cruises into one, there not being the Australian and New Zealand market available, as you suggest.

Nice to hear from someone in France. :classic_smile:

Hope things will continue to get better. Are you contemplating re-booking for another time, if I may ask?

notamermaid

Thanks notamermaid. Yes, I am researching other cruise lines for the same trip, as we wanted to stay in France until we can see how things are going in Europe. We live on the Med coast, so there will be a huge influx of tourists arriving soon, it will be interesting to see what that does to our figures. We are both vaccinated thankfully.  Masks are no longer required outside except in busy areas,  but still worn indoors, restaurants and bars are back up and running, so life is slowly returning to normal.

Situation is similar here, we are getting back to indoor gatherings on a small scale and dining indoors etc. Outside it is quite full of life now. Everyone is worried what the lifting of travel bans etc. will bring, but you cannot keep the Germans at home :classic_wink:. Although many, many have actually got into hiking and cycling and will stay within the country this Summer. The tourism people expect the Alps and the Coastal areas to be packed.

And river cruises are popular of course. Come August, most German-run ships will be back in operation in Germany and possibly Austria. Not France yet.

notamermaid

@sailing oldie I have read that Nickocruises is back sailing on the Rhone. So I checked A-ROSA. They will follow at a later date, but they do offer a seven nights itinerary in September. You could have a look if they will do international (bilingual) sailings on the route.

Being very familiar with French of course, you may prefer CroisiEurope though. But perhaps you have already looked at their offers.

Would love to see the Rhone river again.

notamermaid

Confirmed by signalling which I was able to pick up last night and today on marine traffic, the Amalucia is on her first itinerary. She left Cologne yesterday and is now on the Moselle. She is sailing for a German operator during the Summer.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Notamermaid

Let's hope they can get going again in Europe, unfortunately the cases are rising again in France. M Macron has just announced a requirement for the EU pass/negative tests from the beginning of August to access restaurants, bars and other indoor public spaces and for those working in healthcare. This has caused a huge increase in demand for vaccination, which is good news. I hope things are OK in Germany.

Edited by sailing oldie

38 minutes ago, sailing oldie said:

Notamermaid

Let's hope they can get going again in Europe, unfortunately the cases are rising again in France. M Macron has just announced a requirement for the EU pass/negative tests from the beginning of August to access restaurants, bars and other indoor public spaces and for those working in healthcare. This has caused a huge increase in demand for vaccination, which is good news. I hope things are OK in Germany.

We re doing alright here still. Thanks for asking. Not so good around us. We are anxiously looking at our neighbours and the island in the North Sea. I will write a bit more in another thread.

notamermaid

• 1 month later...

As things are not going too well in France, A-ROSA is still not sailing on the Rhone. But this will come in Autumn. The company may not resume sailing on the Seine this year, however.

Better news from Emerald, they will return to the Danube in September: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/emerald-cruises-recommencing-danube-sailings-september-6

notamermaid

Crystal is scheduled to restart its river cruises next week, with Ravel sailing from Vilshofen on 29 August to Budapest and Debussy from Basel to Amsterdam the next day.  According to the MarineTraffic website the two ships are in Linz and Amsterdam, respectively.  Ravel is certainly within striking distance of its starting port, but it was odd Debussy is at its endpoint, not its starting point.  Maybe ready to start a shake-down sailing prior to its first revenue sailing next Monday?  

After months of radio silence from Crystal, the company started sending lots of emails about sailing protocols, entry requirements for countries along the itinerary, etc.  So, it appears at least someone is looking at the itineraries and hopeful they will sail!

18 hours ago, notamermaid said:

As things are not going too well in France, A-ROSA is still not sailing on the Rhone. But this will come in Autumn. The company may not resume sailing on the Seine this year, however.

We saw an A-ROSA ship here on the Seine a few days ago but perhaps it was just in transit without passengers. 

@Wings55, can I make a suggestion for you? When you quote a previous post, it shows up in a box. If you put your comment below the box, it is obvious that it is not part of the quote. The alternative, particularly if you have comments on different parts of the quoted post, is to change the colour of your comment, again to differentiate it from the original post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

While A-Rosa have suspended their cruises on the Rhone for this year - a restart was logistically not possible - Riviera River Cruises are back: https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Riviera-River-Cruises-expands-operations-in-Europe

Two of their ships though, the Geoffrey Chaucer and William Wordsworth, will remain on a short term charter with Phoenix Reisen into October.

notamermaid