Is Costa Maya safe for solo cruiser?

CruisingAgain

I am cruising in January (I hope hope hope) and going to Costa Maya for the first time.  I am thinking of going to Tropicante because I don't plan to eat and drink enough for an AI.  I just want to spend a few hours in the shade on a beach.  Has anyone done this alone?  Did you feel safe traveling to/from the beach?

I wouldn't do it in Jamaica.   I was a little nervous about a solo cab ride in Cozumel ... HA HA ... they loaded up the van with lots of people and still charged the "per cab" price for one person.  And even returning to the shop alone I felt very comfortable.

Tropicante is awesome; however, I've never been alone.   I wouldn't say it's unsafe, but you WILL get inundated with hawkers and others trying to mislead you in to going to the wrong bar.

Also, as of right now Tropicante is closed.   I actually was inquiring about September and Steve's website isn't even functional right now.  I HOPE his business survives the pandemic and he's able to open back up.

On 5/26/2021 at 2:12 PM, elektrawmn said:

Tropicante is awesome; however, I've never been alone.   I wouldn't say it's unsafe, but you WILL get inundated with hawkers and others trying to mislead you in to going to the wrong bar.

Also, as of right now Tropicante is closed.   I actually was inquiring about September and Steve's website isn't even functional right now.  I HOPE his business survives the pandemic and he's able to open back up.

Steve was spending a lot of time back in the States.  His mother wasn't in the best of health, and she may have died recently, not sure on that.  But there aren't any businesses open along the malecon as is typical when cruise ships are around.  Some of the hotels are open and have had diving guests.  But a lot of the waitstaff in the clubs have moved on to other places like Cancun where resorts are open.

Editing to add, Costa Maya is safe.  You can take a tram from the port to Tropicante or any beach club along the malecon.  Coming back you will need a taxi, but they are inexpensive. It is per person, but much lower rates and shorter distance back to port than Cozumel or Jamaica. 

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Steve moved back to the States and is selling Tropicante and right now it is being run by one of his long time workers until the building is sold.

If it is closed I recommend the Krazy Lobster.

Edited by tallyho8

• 2 weeks later...

We have enjoyed Tropicante several times but the last couple of times pre-pandemic we went to Malecon21.
This was a new bar/club, at the time therefore good, clean facilities. It is towards the far end of the malecon (away from the port, a block or so from Tropicante) and is a quieter vibe than clubs in the middle. They can arrange fishing/snorkeling etc. There was a minimum pp charge (maybe $30?) if you want a lounger on the beach, credited towards food and drink, or no minimum if you eat and drink at the bar/lounge across the street. I would be quite happy to go there alone and there seemed to be much less hawkers than the middle of the malecon.

Some things to be aware of in Costa Maya is the long walk through the port to actually get OUTSIDE to catch a taxi,  which can be confusing for a first time visitor. I would suggest taking some time to study old threads with details of exiting. Our experience in recent visits was there was actually a per taxi rate now NOT pp as Crew suggested. If you are going to Malecon21, which is at the end of town print a google map and ask for Calle Atun. I have found drivers in Costa Maya have set places THEY want to take you and getting dropped in the middle of town surrounded by people trying to take you to “their” bar can be intimidating. I don’t think it is unsafe but it can be unnerving if you don’t know where you are going. No matter where you are dropped it will be a street back from the beach since the malecon is pedestrian only.

Other suggestions for a solo - stay in the port area where there are/were plenty of shops, pool, loungers - not my favorite idea  but safe and could easily satisfy a first visit or if Maya Chan has reopened join others on your roll call for a very popular ship destination. Maya Chan is AI, which you didn’t prefer, but it is a very safe excursion providing you are comfortable walking outside the port to join the transport.

With normal precautions, I don’t consider Costa Maya unsafe but getting transport can be a little confusing as a solo traveler depending on your comfort level until you know the system which is why I would recommend approaching your roll call.