Will NCL change mask and social distancing policy?

Até

I was reading some new-to-me rules on the CDC site and saw they now say 95% vaccinated sailings wont have to wear masks or practice social distancing anywhere.  I haven't seen this mentioned here before.  If so it is significant enough it might even bring me back to NCL, at least in the short term.

For ships with at least 95% of crew and 95% of passengers fully vaccinated, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that they do not have to wear a mask or maintain physical distance in any areas.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

ETA: It also looks like fully vaccinated sailings can have a self service buffet.

Edited by Até
  • Thanks 1

The new CDC rules seem to imply cruise lines not meeting the 95% scenario can designate certain areas for vaccinated passengers only and loosen the protocols there.  I'm not sure how that would be enforced.

• Like 1

NCL has been saying for over a week now on their sail safe page that masks will not be required onboard, because their cruisers will be 100% vaccinated.

"Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew through 10/31/21, therefore face coverings are not required but are highly recommended where physical distancing is not possible indoors for cruises prior to 10/31/21."

2 hours ago, Até said:

The new CDC rules seem to imply cruise lines not meeting the 95% scenario can designate certain areas for vaccinated passengers only and loosen the protocols there.  I'm not sure how that would be enforced.

It will never happen.  It would cost more for the cruise lines to try to enforce than it would be worth.

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

NCL has been saying for over a week now on their sail safe page that masks will not be required onboard, because their cruisers will be 100% vaccinated.

I see, but NCL claiming it and the CDC allowing it are two different things.  Perhaps they had prior knowledge to the changes.  Now we need to see if NCL has positioned themselves to meet the other CSO requirements.