Which vaccines accepted?

Mrsfrz

I read on another thread that only CDC approved vaccines will be accepted on Alaska sailings. My sister in England will be cruising with us and has received the AstraZeneca vaccine, which was the only one available to her. I wasn't sure how accurate the info from the other poster was. Any ideas where to get accurate info on this? I didn't find anything with a Google search. 

AstraZeneca is an approved vaccine.  It is approved in UK, Europe and Canada among others.  Over the coming months European countries and USA will be working on reciprocity of vaccine certificates.  

I really wouldn't have any concerns.

After all, HAL's ships are registered in Nederland and AZ is approved there!

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrsfrz said:

I read on another thread that only CDC approved vaccines will be accepted on Alaska sailings. My sister in England will be cruising with us and has received the AstraZeneca vaccine, which was the only one available to her. I wasn't sure how accurate the info from the other poster was. Any ideas where to get accurate info on this? I didn't find anything with a Google search. 

I believe it is vaccines approved by the WHO, which would include AstraZeneca.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mrsfrz said:

My wife was in a similar situation where she received the Novavax vaccine during a trial.  The problem is that Novavax has postponed obtaining authorization until the end of 2021.  My wife solved the problem by recently getting the Pfizer vaccine.

A more important problem with the AZD1222 vaccine is that it has limited effectiveness against some of the COVID variants.  Your sister should now get vaccinated with either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. 

igraf

2 hours ago, Bruinboy said:

Remember when WHO used to be best known as a rock band? Aw, the good ol' days.

Sometime in the wee hours of Saturday night/Sunday morning as Janis Joplin walked off the stage at the Woodstock Festival and some people seemed to be leaving to go back to their campsites, "Why are you people leaving now? All you will miss are Sly and the Family Stone, the Who, and the Jefferson Airplane.". And those who were leaving sat back down.

And Sly had us all on our feet reaching for the sky and yelling "HIGHER". The Who came on and basically played all their new album Tommy. And the Airplane closed the night's show out as they were supposed to use their own light show instead of Woodstock's, but no light show as the sun had already risen.

Yep, the good ol' days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

I have been working various vaccine clinics here in Alaska.  Vaccinations include Astra Zeneca, Moderna and Janssen (J&J).  

I don't think Astra Zenica is approved yet in the US.  Are you sure that isn't Pfizer?

Roy

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't think Astra Zenica is approved yet in the US.  Are you sure that isn't Pfizer?

Roy

Roy, you are right...I meant to say Pfizer!!!  I guess my brain was thinking Pfizer, and my fingers were typing AZ.  Sorry for the mistake.  I corrected my original post. 

• Thanks 1

I am also vaccinated with AstraZeneca in a trial run by the US Navy in San Diego and are very interested in the final decision by the CDC.   We have 2 cruises on Princess prior to our HAL cruise in February.   My personal opinion is the CDC cannot restrict those vaccinated to the 3 approved EU vaccines.   What about the crew who have been vaccinated with a non-CDC vaccine.   Also passengers from other countries where individuals do not have access to the 3 vaccines.

The CDC in their technical guidance for volunteer and simulated voyages stated the following dated May 14.

I have not see any updates since.

• The cruise ship operator must ensure all volunteer passengers have either:
    • Proof of being fully vaccinatedagainst COVID-19 using an U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-authorized vaccine or a vaccine product that has received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO); or
    • If not fully vaccinated, written documentation from a healthcare provider or self-certified statement that the volunteer passenger has no medical conditions that would place the volunteer at high risk for severe COVID-19 as determined through CDC guidance.

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

I am also vaccinated with AstraZeneca in a trial run by the US Navy in San Diego and are very interested in the final decision by the CDC.   We have 2 cruises on Princess prior to our HAL cruise in February.   My personal opinion is the CDC cannot restrict those vaccinated to the 3 approved EU vaccines.   What about the crew who have been vaccinated with a non-CDC vaccine.   Also passengers from other countries where individuals do not have access to the 3 vaccines.

The CDC in their technical guidance for volunteer and simulated voyages stated the following dated May 14.

I have not see any updates since.

• The cruise ship operator must ensure all volunteer passengers have either:
    • Proof of being fully vaccinatedagainst COVID-19 using an U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-authorized vaccine or a vaccine product that has received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO); or
    • If not fully vaccinated, written documentation from a healthcare provider or self-certified statement that the volunteer passenger has no medical conditions that would place the volunteer at high risk for severe COVID-19 as determined through CDC guidance.

I hope you’re right.  But there is no harm in getting one of the approved vaccines now.

My husband and I were both in the AZ trial here in the US as well.  I got the placebo but he got the actual vaccine.  Since it wasn’t approved here in the USA he got the Moderna vaccine as soon as it was available.  We didn’t want to have any questions about our status.  

6 hours ago, Bruinboy said:

Remember when WHO used to be best known as a rock band? Aw, the good ol' days.

Hmmm now wait a minute Who's on first? Sorry got add some levity to things always. 🙂

Edited by Sososailer
Add more

I contacted Holland and was referred to the department that handles these queries. Below is their reply to me. It seems that the President of HAL was not informed when he stated last Tuesday that only US approved vaccines would be accepted, unless he was just referring to US residents. The AstraZeneca vaccine is fine for my sister who resides in England. Here is their reply:

"Acceptable vaccines are those that have been approved or have an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or is approved or will have received emergency use listing from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization (WHO).

It seems AstraZeneca is approved by EMA, however you will need to verify that on your own. We are not responsible for any verifications."

• Like 2