Trying Celebrity After NCL

JamieLogical

Feeling incredibly wronged by NCL's decision to cancel our September sailing on the Joy out of Jamaica (one of their original "Return to Sea" sailings) in order to steal the crew and move them to the Bliss to Alaska, we have decided to cut ties with NCL for now. We are hoping to use up all of our credits on a different September sailing and then move on to trying out other lines.

We now have a courtesy hold on the Edge out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Western Caribbean for January, 2022. I'd like to get some thoughts from any of you who have sailed on both NCL and Celebrity about some of the differences we should expect. Also, any thought or advice you have about the Edge specifically. Also, I need to know whatever you can tell me about the included drinks package and what specialty dining is like onboard.

• Like 4

All in all, we think Celebrity is far better than NCL. I consider NCL more in line with Carnival. Some will disagree and say they are not that different but I think there is a noticeable gap between the two lines.

Celebrity will have far fewer kids, the ship layouts are significantly better, dining is better, the overall atmosphere is more subdued and refined without being stuffy. Passengers will skew a little older. The drink packages are better and more inclusive. You don't need to make a bunch of reservations on Celebrity. other than dining. When we last cruised on NCL I think anything other than drip coffee had to be purchased along with maybe even bottled water? 

Even if you aren't ready to completely write off NCL you should give Celebrity a shot. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

All in all, we think Celebrity is far better than NCL. I consider NCL more in line with Carnival. Some will disagree and say they are not that different but I think there is a noticeable gap between the two lines.

Celebrity will have far fewer kids, the ship layouts are significantly better, dining is better, the overall atmosphere is more subdued and refined without being stuffy. Passengers will skew a little older. The drink packages are better and more inclusive. You don't need to make a bunch of reservations on Celebrity. other than dining. When we last cruised on NCL I think anything other than drip coffee had to be purchased along with maybe even bottled water? 

Even if you aren't ready to completely write off NCL you should give Celebrity a shot. 

All of that can be situationally true. All depends on length/location/time of year of the sailing. 

E.G. depending on the itinerary, no more kids on NCL than on Celebrity.  Short Caribbean sailings, true.

You don't need reservations for "everything other than dining" on half on NCL's fleet.  On some of the bigger, newer ships, true.

Subdued without being stuffy?  Sometimes yes and sometimes distinctly no.

I would agree that there are differences between the lines, but a "noticeable gap" like it is a huge one, don't agree at all.

Perspective? 30+ =X= sailings, 20+ NCL sailings.

I find the experience on Celebrity to be a bit more refined than NCL and there's less a continued emphasis on having fun. None of Celebrity's  ships have water slides or go carts,so it's less a family oriented experience. The food is superior to NCL. The buffet on Celebrity is superior with much more selection and more unusual food choices. Cabins are larger. There's also less programmed activities on Celebrity; you make your own fun. One area that NCL is better at is their spa areas, especially their Thermal suites. While the Edge has a beautiful thermal suite it can't compare to what NCL has. The main difference is the amount of relaxation areas. NCL thermal areas have lots of loungers so you can conceivably spend the whole day there. Additionally NCL spas have nice jetted whirlpools in the Thermal areas, Celebrity Edge does not. 

In summary, the Celebrity Edge is a beautiful, modern ship to sail on and the experience is closer to a South Beach boutique hotel experience than a family resort in Orlando.

• Like 1

We enjoy boy Celebrity and NCL.

MDR and buffet are better on Celebrity

Specialty restaurants are better but also more expensive, on NCL we enjoy dining at specialties often, on Celebrity it's more like once or twice a cruise maybe. Also, NCL has more variety and more included dining options which is nice. 

Entertainment on NCL is much much better. Celebrities shows are a bit of a joke.

Celebrities drink package has a lower dollar amount, but the drink costs are also lower so it evens out. Also, bottled water and specialty coffee is included on Celebrities drink plan which is nice. 

• Like 2

Specialty dining on Celebrity is fairly expensive around $55 for the Steakhouse.  Edge the ship you are looking at, has 4 included dining rooms with slightly different menus.  So if you are wanting to try Celebrity, Edge might be more similar to the included dining that you are used to.  Celebrity does have better food but in my opinion not the huge difference some have experienced.

And as mentioned the regular drink package includes bottle water and specialy coffees.  The cost to upgrade the drink package is lower.

You may want to check the size of the cabin category you are interested.  Also check out the pool and solarium as compared to what you like.  Those two areas will be different.

And entertainment on Celebrity will not compare well to NCL.  Fewer choices like the dueling pianos, etc.  And main shows are not as highly rated.

Thanks for all the help you give people who are trying NCL including this Happy Cruzer 🙂

the posters above were spot on. Weakest part of celebrity is the entertainment. but that is about it. I do have to comment that the recent "AI" policy that is now in effect on celebrity will prohibit alot of veteran cruisers like us from sailing with them in the future....We dont need wifi or the drink package or laundry, as we have been elite with them for years and the evening happy hour and limited free computer time is sufficient for us...We will go back to rccl  that allows us to pay for extras as we want them at a price that allows simple folks like us to continue cruising without breaking the bank....We wish everyone well.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Feeling incredibly wronged by NCL's decision to cancel our September sailing on the Joy out of Jamaica (one of their original "Return to Sea" sailings) in order to steal the crew and move them to the Bliss to Alaska, we have decided to cut ties with NCL for now. We are hoping to use up all of our credits on a different September sailing and then move on to trying out other lines.

We now have a courtesy hold on the Edge out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Western Caribbean for January, 2022. I'd like to get some thoughts from any of you who have sailed on both NCL and Celebrity about some of the differences we should expect. Also, any thought or advice you have about the Edge specifically. Also, I need to know whatever you can tell me about the included drinks package and what specialty dining is like onboard.

I think you will love Celebrity- Having sailed on both lines, NCL Haven, and many different celebrity ships and cabins/suites- it is a no brainer- we found NCL very crowded- more like a Carnival ship- yes they are "related".  Celebrity Edge has multiple restaurants, even for regular dining- try the anytime dining which will give you an opportunity to try multiple restaurants.  It isn't  nearly as crowded as NCL.  I would suggest if not a suite, try an aft balcony cabin.

I think you will be very happy and perhaps not consider NCL. You get great perks with Celebrity-  Enjoy a great experience.

Hi Jamie,

We enjoy both NCL and Celebrity.  Overall, I would describe Celebrity as "quieter" than NCL, and more upscale (although still a mainstream cruise line).  There will be no barrage of announcements for "hairy leg contests" at the pool, that sort of thing.  And no such "events," either.  Obviously, the ship, the itinerary, and the time of year have an impact on each specific sailing.  

I think the decor on Celebrity's ships is more refined (with the caveat that I haven't sailed on any of NCL's new mega ships).   I haven't sailed on the Edge (no interest in the infinite verandahs, so we'd need to book a suite or another stateroom category), but can tell you that the S-class ships are stunningly beautiful, and the M-class are great as well, especially the ones that have been "revolutionized." 

I think you will enjoy Celebrity.

8 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I think you will love Celebrity- Having sailed on both lines, NCL Haven, and many different celebrity ships and cabins/suites- it is a no brainer- we found NCL very crowded- more like a Carnival ship- yes they are "related".  Celebrity Edge has multiple restaurants, even for regular dining- try the anytime dining which will give you an opportunity to try multiple restaurants.  It isn't  nearly as crowded as NCL.  I would suggest if not a suite, try an aft balcony cabin.

I think you will be very happy and perhaps not consider NCL. You get great perks with Celebrity-  Enjoy a great experience.

We did book an aft balcony a we weren't super excited for the "infinite veranda" design and aft balconies were surprisingly cheap compared to what they are on NCL!

I have another question for all of you, what is the dress code like for the MDRs? One of the things I have always loved about NCL is that I always felt comfortable just wearing jeans and t-shirt most times. I do bring a few dresses usually for dining in the Specialty Dining venues (even though it's not required), but I don't think I want to have to wear a dress to dinner EVERY night.

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

We did book an aft balcony a we weren't super excited for the "infinite veranda" design and aft balconies were surprisingly cheap compared to what they are on NCL!

I have another question for all of you, what is the dress code like for the MDRs? One of the things I have always loved about NCL is that I always felt comfortable just wearing jeans and t-shirt most times. I do bring a few dresses usually for dining in the Specialty Dining venues (even though it's not required), but I don't think I want to have to wear a dress to dinner EVERY night.

I think you need collard tee shirts for men.  Jeans not ripped, are ok.  My dh likes button shirts and slacks most nights and loafer type shoes.  On the chic nights, typically two on a 7 day cruise, he dresses a little more formal. You don’t need tuxedos, suits or ties unless you enjoy them.  My husband wears a suit, tie and or sports jacket.  I wear dressy slacks and tops and on chic nights or a cocktail dress -a little more dressed up.  People’s attire vary

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

While you can wear whatever you want and probably won't be denied entry I think you would feel a little out of place in Jeans and a T-Shirt for dinner. A nice pair of jeans and a nice top is fine, but your description implies something you might wear to Mcdonalds

For guys nice jeans and a nice polo shirt would be perfectly fine too for dinner. Faded jeans with with holes and a graphic T Shirt, not so much.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

You may want to check the size of the cabin category you are interested.  Also check out the pool and solarium as compared to what you like.  Those two areas will be different.

There are ZERO NCL ships with an indoor pool (not counting the Haven or Thermal Suite water offerings) like the ones Celebrity has on ALL of their ships. 

18 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

While you can wear whatever you want and probably won't be denied entry I think you would feel a little out of place in Jeans and a T-Shirt for dinner. A nice pair of jeans and a nice top is fine, but your description implies something you might wear to Mcdonalds

For guys nice jeans and a nice polo shirt would be perfectly fine too for dinner. Faded jeans with with holes and a graphic T Shirt, not so much.  

I feel like this is a pretty sensible answer to a landmind of a question for some. People do tend to dress up more than on NCL. Guys in suits (with and without ties) are not uncommon, and in blazers + pants are fairly common on non-formal nights. Women will have on everything from nicer dresses, a few gowns, pant suits to sundresses. You really don't see many jeans and t-shirts at all. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

These are the two basic outfits I wear on a cruise:

Jeans, t-shirt, hoodie, and sneakers:

DD9M-JIkekfOfHxcB11Ui_YbtNK3kcdYzR4n_Lvk

Maxi dress, sweater, and sandals:

2CqFKDqw6NbnOCKS5D8l2Pb3BvcwlS9DHRBtCeQ4

For dinner, first photo a definite NO, second photo that's Fine/OK. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

have another question for all of you, what is the dress code like for the MDRs? One of the things I have always loved about NCL is that I always felt comfortable just wearing jeans and t-shirt most times.

Context is everything. Here's a women's outfit consisting of jeans and a T-Shirt.cn20413129.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

Hmm... I am definitely going to have to rethink this. I don't know that I want to have to dress up for dinner every night. I'm on vacation!

It's easier to throw on a maxi dress or sundress and flops than it is to put on a t-shirt, jeans, socks and sneakers! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keels81 said:

It's easier to throw on a maxi dress or sundress and flops than it is to put on a t-shirt, jeans, socks and sneakers! 🤣

Yeah, but I will be wearing my jeans and sneakers all day.... I would have to change into and out of them for dinner every time. I am definitely NOT gonna wear a dress all day. I feel super uncomfortable in a dress... feel like I am wearing a costume. Which is fun sometimes, so I don't mind dressing up once in a while, but I don't want to do it every day.

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Yeah, but I will be wearing my jeans and sneakers all day.... I would have to change into and out of them for dinner every time. I am definitely NOT gonna wear a dress all day. I feel super uncomfortable in a dress... feel like I am wearing a costume. Which is fun sometimes, so I don't mind dressing up once in a while, but I don't want to do it every day.

Heard that. This Pandy has made me not want to ever wear real pants again, so I get it. Dresses and athleisure for me for the rest of my life (if I can pull it off)!

Just now, happy cruzer said:

Black jeans or black knit pants are just as comfortable as blue jeans and would fit in nicely. 

In my experience, the dressier cruises are in colder climates.

I am not going to buy a new wardrobe to go on a cruise either. I don't own jeans in any color, but blue. Also, I am assuming the sneakers would still be a no go, so I would have to buy new shoes as well.