Trying Celebrity After NCL

JamieLogical

On 5/28/2021 at 1:53 PM, Seany527 said:

How about after dinner?  Is it unheard of for men to put khaki or linen shorts back on after they leave the dining room?

We wouldn't, but some do.  It just feels more grownup, in the lounges, etc., to be in long pants/dressier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

There have been  many dress code threads over the years.  A few stand out with the same theme.....a very casual dresser does not want to dress differently,  but yet wants to be told they will fit in. " Tell me what I want to hear". `That doesn't really work.

They can go dressed as they want and be happy being themself ( as long as no dress rules broken like shorts in dining rms );   they can  take a few small steps to upgrade the look..shoes/ sandals vs sneakers, shawl, nice sweater, etc. 

Or they might embrace something new for them  (chic night includes many varied looks),   and dress up even more, because X is an upscale classy cruise line.

No  one will stare or call them out, either way.  But most X cruisers try to look nice because for them  it is a special ( expensive) vacation....not like going to Walmart or a flea market on a weekend.

Perfectly said.

51 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Perfectly said.

Thank you...your posts are on target as well. You definitely have the younger ,  upscale but comfy casual resort vibe.

I was trying to be honest but not offensive ...but  now moving on to other topics

As someone who has sailed both NCL and Celebrity multiple times, I can say the Celebrity dress code is much less restrictive than people make it out to be. There is a firm no-short in the MDR policy that NCL doesn’t have, but I’ve found the requirements otherwise to be very flexible… jeans and tshirts are usually fine. It’s not a Cunard level of ridiculousness people make it out to be. 

That said, I think trying Celebrity would be a game changer for you. Despite the freestyle marketing, NCL food is often quite bad in the MDR. NCL internet is shockingly poor compared to Celebrity. And service onboard NCL is usually merely passable… Celebrity bar staff is like a revelation in comparison.

We also love the Edge… the ship has some astounding spaces and great venues, and really really enjoyed the much-maligned infinite verandas. The food is also stellar… the MDRs were great, and the steakhouse on the Edge makes Cagney’s seem like a Ponderosa from the 80s. 

All said, I wouldn’t fear the dress code… it’s much younger and more variable than most passengers on CC are willing to admit. 

• Like 4

On 5/27/2021 at 4:26 PM, JamieLogical said:

I am going to try to find more videos of the passengers on the Edge specifically and see whether I think I would feel comfortable. It's tricky because I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, but I also don't want to buy a bunch of clothes that I would only wear a couple of weeks a year for cruising....

Welcome to Celebrity! I get where you are coming from on this! I have half a closet of clothes I'm probably never wearing again, from the old days of cruising, 10-20 years ago. . It was fun (sort of) playing dress up for a few cruises, but it's not us, and we have learned what is comfortable and functional while still following Celebrity's dress code.  We have taken  6 Celebrity cruises since 2017 , and we should be on Edge this September. I  bring a couple of summery tee shirt dresses, a pair of stretch black jeans, a pair of black flats ,  and 2 sparkly tank tops. I will wear them for dinners in the mdr and usually change afterwards. The rest of the day it's jeans and tank top or tee, or running shorts and tee. A sweatshirt or leather jacket for chilly weather. And sneakers of course! I have never felt uncomfortable or out of place. 

Biggest lesson I learned from those "fancier" years.....no heels! Between ocean movement and alcohol, they create too much of an adventure in walking !

On 5/28/2021 at 8:42 PM, MaryZ said:

Outfit #1 you will feel out of place any time of day on Celebrity. 
Outfit #2 is fine. 

Lose the hoodie, the tshirt and the sneakers.  Wear a plain black tshirt bought at walmart for $5, an open cotton knit sweater also for maybe $10 and a pair of sandals with your jeans and you'll be find on Celebrity.

This does NOT give a good representation of Celebrity's "feel" .  We have been on a bunch of Celebrity cruises and during the day or late evening  sneakers, tee and jeans are fine . My husband and I have never felt out of place. We change at dinner  to  follow the dress code for the mdr. 

30 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

This does NOT give a good representation of Celebrity's "feel" .  We have been on a bunch of Celebrity cruises and during the day or late evening  sneakers, tee and jeans are fine . My husband and I have never felt out of place. We change at dinner  to  follow the dress code for the mdr. 

Outfit #1 apparently is a good representation of Celebrity's "feel" since so many people agree that it is.

So, my new suggestion for the OP's original question is enjoy your cruise!  No one actually pays attention to what people wear anyway.

• Like 1

There really is a happy medium between some discomfort of feeling out of place and discomfort of “dressing up”.  It doesn’t take a lot of effort AND women have it sooo much easier than men.  Bare legs, bare shoulders, toes exposed…..all acceptable.  I think people on this thread have given some good advice and ultimately the only thing that matters is that you have a good time,

19 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

As someone who has sailed both NCL and Celebrity multiple times, I can say the Celebrity dress code is much less restrictive than people make it out to be. There is a firm no-short in the MDR policy that NCL doesn’t have, but I’ve found the requirements otherwise to be very flexible… jeans and tshirts are usually fine. It’s not a Cunard level of ridiculousness people make it out to be. 

That said, I think trying Celebrity would be a game changer for you. Despite the freestyle marketing, NCL food is often quite bad in the MDR. NCL internet is shockingly poor compared to Celebrity. And service onboard NCL is usually merely passable… Celebrity bar staff is like a revelation in comparison.

We also love the Edge… the ship has some astounding spaces and great venues, and really really enjoyed the much-maligned infinite verandas. The food is also stellar… the MDRs were great, and the steakhouse on the Edge makes Cagney’s seem like a Ponderosa from the 80s. 

All said, I wouldn’t fear the dress code… it’s much younger and more variable than most passengers on CC are willing to admit. 

Good info.  Thanks.  Having just booked the Edge, one of the questions I have is what it’s like going to the restaurants….MDR or Speicialty. I know on my NCL cruises, I would walk up to any dining venue, and if they could, they’d seat me immediately.  If they couldn’t, I would just go to another venue.  Is it that easy on Celebrity?

I’ve had good WiFi on NCL on some cruises, and I’ve had dismal WiFi on some…..sometimes depending on the time of day and where I was on the ship.  While it’s not a deal breaker for me, many times I’ll use my iPad to look at activities available to me on a port as a planning tool while on board.   How is streaming on the Edge?

Thanks in advance!

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Good info.  Thanks.  Having just booked the Edge, one of the questions I have is what it’s like going to the restaurants….MDR or Speicialty. I know on my NCL cruises, I would walk up to any dining venue, and if they could, they’d seat me immediately.  If they couldn’t, I would just go to another venue.  Is it that easy on Celebrity?

I’ve had good WiFi on NCL on some cruises, and I’ve had dismal WiFi on some…..sometimes depending on the time of day and where I was on the ship.  While it’s not a deal breaker for me, many times I’ll use my iPad to look at activities available to me on a port as a planning tool while on board.   How is streaming on the Edge?

Thanks in advance!

In theory, yes you can just show up and if they can seat you, they will…..especially in the main dining rooms.  Having said that, reservations are encouraged if you want to try the other dining rooms and its fairly easy to do on the app if I recall.  (I sailed on Edge July 2019 so it’s been a while).   For specialty restaurants I would definitely make reservations.  Eden in particular as it booked up quickly and has limited seating.  We could only get a late reservation at the steakhouse and thought we’d try to go earlier just to see.   We showed up an hour early and they sat us immediately,   I have no idea how Luminae works.  I assume it has the traditional dining times as well as select?  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 7:54 PM, JamieLogical said:

I have decided to still give Celebrity a shot. I might by an extra dress or two, so I don't have to re-wear the three I have multiple times. I am also looking at some sort of resort-casual wide-leg pants to maybe wear with a solid-color top? I ordered some on Amazon Prime just now for $18. If I like those, that might be a good option and if not, I can return them easily.

You may find that you even prefer the wide-leg pants during the day in the Caribbean. Jeans are uncomfortably warm for me in the Caribbean (but I will definitely be taking jeans for our late October transatlantic cruise). I have to say that I usually wear shorts in port on the Caribbean cruises.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks in advance!

Edge is a little different than the other Celeb ships because of the 4 MDRs. In general Celeb is more reservation focused than what you describe, especially the specialty restaurants, I think you will be disappointed if you don't have reservations. Le Petit Chef is dinner and ahd a show in a way, so it has 2 fixed seatings. MDR on Edge - I spent a couple of dinners fairly close to the maitre d' stand watching the goings on. It varied tremendously. I would say that usually there was a wait, because of the number of people with reservations and sometimes because people would walk up after a big rush of people who were planning dinner to get to a showtime had been seated, and there was no availability until more waitstaff was freed up. The waits were usually short - 15 minutes would be long - and I bet that if you came at 8:30, there was no wait.

It is easy peasy to make reservations online well before you go. Since we knew we wanted to try as many specialties, plus the 4 dining rooms, as we could, we just divvied all that up and kind of picked times. Changing some of that on the ship was easy too, you can call or do it on the app from you deck lounger. You will be asked in the MDRs if you want to set a time for the next night as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jakebloke said:

In theory, yes you can just show up and if they can seat you, they will…..especially in the main dining rooms.  Having said that, reservations are encouraged if you want to try the other dining rooms and its fairly easy to do on the app if I recall.  (I sailed on Edge July 2019 so it’s been a while).   For specialty restaurants I would definitely make reservations.  Eden in particular as it booked up quickly and has limited seating.  We could only get a late reservation at the steakhouse and thought we’d try to go earlier just to see.   We showed up an hour early and they sat us immediately,   I have no idea how Luminae works.  I assume it has the traditional dining times as well as select?  

That's another good point to the original question about having to wait. Another aspect of many people making reservations is that they are on vacay too, and as the week wears on, more and more reservations get skipped, people add on a specialty dinner, etc, so wait times get shorter.

Luminae is all select - show up and get seated. They will try to keep you with the same waitstaff and if that's important, you may have to occasionally wait for a table to open up. Five minutes would be a long wait. No biggie if you have somewhere to be and can't wait. Every once in awhile Luminae will actually be briefly full and you have to wait a bit.

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

Again, great info….thx!

Another question….will the Concierge in the Retreat be able to make reservations for the restaurants, shows and excursions?

Yes to all.  Also the Concierge is part of Guest Services.  You will never have to wait in line there in the ship lobby, just use the Concierge.  Unless it is a cash issue or exchange.  Also the Concierge can arrange a private appointment with somebody in Future Cruises too.  No lines.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, JamieLogical said:

Feeling incredibly wronged by NCL's decision to cancel our September sailing on the Joy out of Jamaica (one of their original "Return to Sea" sailings) in order to steal the crew and move them to the Bliss to Alaska, we have decided to cut ties with NCL for now. We are hoping to use up all of our credits on a different September sailing and then move on to trying out other lines.

We now have a courtesy hold on the Edge out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Western Caribbean for January, 2022. I'd like to get some thoughts from any of you who have sailed on both NCL and Celebrity about some of the differences we should expect. Also, any thought or advice you have about the Edge specifically. Also, I need to know whatever you can tell me about the included drinks package and what specialty dining is like onboard.

Heading in the same direction girl. Using up my FCCs on one more sailing, have Prima Innaugural TA and next week and thats it for FDR. We are heading out with X on a b2b in Retreat on Mill from SXM.  Our Joy Haven from Montego Bay Oct 2 is being replaced with Retreat on Edge Oct 2. I want them to wow me. I really do. Sounds like they are going to and I cant wait. I plan to do a thread when I get back comparing NCL mainstream and NCL Haven to X mainstream and X Retreat. 

Im sharing this with you as we seem to sail and have similar tastes and itineraries over the years. 

@AstoriaPreppy You said it right. Your post gave me alot to look forward to! 

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Trying Celebrity after NCL is like trying a steak at a fine steak house after eating at McDonalds.😀

Miles off the mark. 

Maybe Denny's after McDonalds at the very most. 

They are far more alike than different.  The same?  No.  But night and day?  Ridiculous.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Again, great info….thx!

Another question….will the Concierge in the Retreat be able to make reservations for the restaurants, shows and excursions?

Unless it has changed since Feb 2020, you do not make reservations for shows on Celebrity.

• Like 1

I truly do appreciate everyone's help.  I know a newbie's questions can be a bit tedious.

But, here I go again.  Since I have a large OBC, there's a 3 dinner Specialty Dining Package.  Given the RETREAT restaurant is generally considered quite good, is getting the Specialty Dining Package worth it?  Are the Specialty Restaurants that good?  If so, which ones do you folks like?

And, the ever controversial tips questions.  That was a hot topic on my NCL Haven cruises.  For the drink packages, tips/service charges were extra, as were the tips for the Speciality Dining restaurants.  Further, the Haven Concierges, Butlers, Haven Restaurant Staff, and bartenders were tipped also.  Matter of fact, I took an extra $500 with me just for tips while sailing in the NCL Haven.

For Celebrity, it says "tips included".  True or is it more of a wink and nod that tips are included but in reality, further tips are expected, particularly in the RETREAT.

Again, Thanks!

39 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I keep thinking of other questions…..Do S3 cabins get premium beverages stocked in the cabin fridge?  If so, do you get a choice?  Further, do the cabins have coffee makers?  Again, THX!

No and no.

NCL is very smart, and I'm not sure how they get away with.  A recent article points to the fact that NCL is the most profitable of the large cruise line companies.  I've noticed it with my bookings over the past five years.  Their cruises are very expensive!

My wife and I are doing several cruises during the winter months of 2021 -- 2022.  Since we are "volume" cruisers, we do try to keep our costs way down.  Here are the costs of three of our cruises November, through December 2021:

NCL Joy -- 20 Nov 2021.  7 day Western Caribbean Cruise.

IA inside cabin total cost for two people = $2,509.78

(includes $15.80 gratuities for two nights alternative dining; $138.60 gratuities for drink package; $411.80 taxes/fees). We must pay staff gratuities onboard.

Celebrity Apex -- Nov 27 2021.  7 day Western Caribbean Cruise.

07 Ocean View Cabin total cost two people = $2,200.54

(includes Always Included -- drink package, all gratuities, and free internet + $286.54 in taxes/fees)

MSC Seashore -- Dec 04 2021.  7 day Western Caribbean Cruise.

YIN inside Yacht Club cabin total cost for two people = $2,810.00

(includes all the perks of being in the Yacht Club, including butler service, drinks, a special dining room and lounge...,  + $360.32 taxes/fees). In addition, we get $200 OBC.

The only reason we are doing the Joy is the really great itinerary.  Is NCL's smoke and mirrors the best in the industry?  Why do people cruise NCL?

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I truly do appreciate everyone's help.  I know a newbie's questions can be a bit tedious.

But, here I go again.  Since I have a large OBC, there's a 3 dinner Specialty Dining Package.  Given the RETREAT restaurant is generally considered quite good, is getting the Specialty Dining Package worth it?  Are the Specialty Restaurants that good?  If so, which ones do you folks like?

And, the ever controversial tips questions.  That was a hot topic on my NCL Haven cruises.  For the drink packages, tips/service charges were extra, as were the tips for the Speciality Dining restaurants.  Further, the Haven Concierges, Butlers, Haven Restaurant Staff, and bartenders were tipped also.  Matter of fact, I took an extra $500 with me just for tips while sailing in the NCL Haven.

For Celebrity, it says "tips included".  True or is it more of a wink and nod that tips are included but in reality, further tips are expected, particularly in the RETREAT.

Again, Thanks!

The overall gratuities are included (just like when you pay them on NCL) but we tip extra to all of those who you mentioned (concierge, butlers, Luminae staff, bartenders) whether we are on NCL or =X=.

5 minutes ago, kelmac said:

NCL is very smart, and I'm not sure how they get away with.  A recent article points to the fact that NCL is the most profitable of the large cruise line companies.  I've noticed it with my bookings over the past five years.  Their cruises are very expensive!

My wife and I are doing several cruises during the winter months of 2021 -- 2022.  Since we are "volume" cruisers, we do try to keep our costs way down.  Here are the costs of three of our cruises November, through December 2021:

NCL Joy -- 20 Nov 2021.  7 day Western Caribbean Cruise.

IA inside cabin total cost for two people = $2,509.78

(includes $15.80 gratuities for two nights alternative dining; $138.60 gratuities for drink package; $411.80 taxes/fees). We must pay staff gratuities onboard.

Celebrity Apex -- Nov 27 2021.  7 day Western Caribbean Cruise.

07 Ocean View Cabin total cost two people = $2,200.54

(includes Always Included -- drink package, all gratuities, and free internet + $286.54 in taxes/fees)

MSC Seashore -- Dec 04 2021.  7 day Western Caribbean Cruise.

YIN inside Yacht Club cabin total cost for two people = $2,810.00

(includes all the perks of being in the Yacht Club, including butler service, drinks, a special dining room and lounge...,  + $360.32 taxes/fees). In addition, we get $200 OBC.

The only reason we are doing the Joy is the really great itinerary.  Is NCL's smoke and mirrors the best in the industry?  Why do people cruise NCL?

One factor may be Thanksgiving.  The Joy sailing is a Tgiving cruise, the others are not.  The next week on the Joy (same parameters) is $2257 and that includes the same specialty dining and a shore excursion credit in each port.