What is your Favorite Hot Entree during your Breakfast on board.........

BklynBoy8

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

And those are not even close to a real latka😀......(pancake).......

Quite correct or even close to the ones the Potato Pancakes that my Mother made!  

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Some cruise ships do hand out Mc Donald type Hash Browns out that are very crispy.

While these abominations fit into the category of "better than nothing", I suppose.  They are nothing like freshly prepared Hash Browns.  The "substitutes" have no place on the breakfast plate of any cruise line that advertises itself as "premium" cruise line.  

My local breakfast cafe makes better Hash Browns and Home Fries than any that I have had during any cruise.  

On 9/18/2021 at 5:10 PM, rkacruiser said:

Quite correct or even close to the ones the Potato Pancakes that my Mother made!  

While these abominations fit into the category of "better than nothing", I suppose.  They are nothing like freshly prepared Hash Browns.  The "substitutes" have no place on the breakfast plate of any cruise line that advertises itself as "premium" cruise line.  

My local breakfast cafe makes better Hash Browns and Home Fries than any that I have had during any cruise.  

So true…I have never had good hash browns on any of the major lines.  

• Like 1

Why can't Chefs on a ship prepare Lyonnaise Potatoes for Breakfast?  They cannot be that much of a trouble to do.  

This morning, I had to have a blood test done (with fasting before the test) before a doctor's appointment.  I celebrated afterwards by patronizing my local restaurant.  Home Fries were part of my order.  Delicious!  

Why can't a cruise ship galley produce such an item?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Why can't Chefs on a ship prepare Lyonnaise Potatoes for Breakfast?  They cannot be that much of a trouble to do.  

This morning, I had to have a blood test done (with fasting before the test) before a doctor's appointment.  I celebrated afterwards by patronizing my local restaurant.  Home Fries were part of my order.  Delicious!  

Why can't a cruise ship galley produce such an item?  

I too wonder why they hesitate making some items that I consider easy.

LP are not that hard to make. Easy for me with fresh seasonal items to include.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:27 PM, rkacruiser said:

Why can't Chefs on a ship prepare Lyonnaise Potatoes for Breakfast? 

I would guess because onions and parsley aren't usual breakfast ingredients.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Unfortunately not all chefs. I have been at the location in recent weekends and parsley and onions were used to prepare their breakfast potatoes in moderation. They were properly prepared were excellent with the entree's of eggs and breakfast meat. Ships are suppose to store massive amounts of accompanied products.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately not all chefs. I have been at the location in recent weekends and parsley and onions were used to prepare their breakfast potatoes in moderation. They were properly prepared were excellent with the entree's of eggs and breakfast meat. Ships are suppose to store massive amounts of accompanied products.

Chefs are supposed to prepare those dishes that more than a few will choose to eat.

16 hours ago, clo said:

Chefs are supposed to prepare those dishes that more than a few will choose to eat.

Lyonnaise Potatoes ought to be prepared when they are ordered.  The time it would take to prepare a serving of Hash Browns or Home Fries would be the same time it would take to prepare Lyonnaise Potatoes.  

19 hours ago, clo said:

Onions are frequently a part of omelets that restaurants prepare.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Lyonnaise Potatoes ought to be prepared when they are ordered.  The time it would take to prepare a serving of Hash Browns or Home Fries would be the same time it would take to prepare Lyonnaise Potatoes.  

Onions are frequently a part of omelets that restaurants prepare.  

I agree with you 100%.....onions are staple in the kitchen/galley, etc. And Parsley? It is always used, even if only as a garnish on the plate.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

The hash browns onboard the major lines do not exist.  The major lines prefer something that is more akin to McDonalds…deep fried glop.  Having real home fries onboard every morning would make my day!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The hash browns onboard the major lines do not exist.  The major lines prefer something that is more akin to McDonalds…deep fried glop.  Having real home fries onboard every morning would make my day!

They made some for me on my last cruise🙂.......it even took a while but it was so worth it. 

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

CGT

Totally agree about McD. Was shocked to see it on HAL and QM2 once.

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

CGT

If I can remember it, I am going to ask for them the next time for breakfast and see what would happen. 

Should be interesting.....Customer is always right!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Was shocked to see it on HAL

Is my memory correct?  Many years ago, Home Fries and/or Hash Browns were served on HAL.  I am thinking as far back as the '70's and '80's.  Maybe into the '90's.  I don't remember when the McD's type of hash browns first made their appearance.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT

If I can remember it, I am going to ask for them the next time for breakfast and see what would happen. 

Should be interesting.....Customer is always right!

If you are on QM2 it should be no problem.  On the mass market lines I doubt you’ll see it.  Keep us posted!  

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

If you are on QM2 it should be no problem.  On the mass market lines I doubt you’ll see it.  Keep us posted!  

I think you are correct.  In my experience, the breakfast stewards may be the assistant steward of the team and placed in that position to gain more experience.  Trying to explain to an Indonesian steward what type of potato dish I wanted would likely be another "travel experience".  When HAL discontinued the automatic serving of the pastry tray at breakfast, I had a bit of difficulty in making my Steward to understand that such items did exist and I wanted some!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robb said:

Classic Eggs Benedict.............

Ditto......

It is my first morning breakfast on board and my disembarkation morning breakfast on the QM2.

Can't stand even on land based restaurants not using authentic Canadian Bacon instead a substitute. 

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Can't stand even on land based restaurants not using authentic Canadian Bacon instead a substitute. 

I've not seen a restaurant where they call a variation simply EB. We used to go to a place that had plain EB, also sausage patties, veggie, and smoked salmon. I always preferred the sausage. EB is soooo like ham, not a fave meat of mine

5 hours ago, clo said:

I've not seen a restaurant where they call a variation simply EB. We used to go to a place that had plain EB, also sausage patties, veggie, and smoked salmon. I always preferred the sausage. EB is soooo like ham, not a fave meat of mine

I totally agree with the items you mentioned and seen them at times on menus.

Not sausage or veggie but yes smoked salmon.

Also saw since we are in the Northeast from Maryland to Maine to Canada - with Hollandaise sometimes with/or chili, mustard  added to the sauce though I don't agree...

• Crabmeat on a bed of Spinach (Florentine)
  • Crabmeat on a bed of Smoked Salmon (Royale) w Citrus Hollandaise
  • Oysters on a bed of Spinach (Neptune Royale) w Champagne added to Hollandaise

These are a few we have seen. Now a days creative chefs are most likely creating more...

Eggs Benedict Florentine, Eggs Benedict with Crab as served at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver,  Eggs Benedict Italiano (it's the sauce that makes the difference):  all all good for a breakfast variety entree.  The best is a well prepared original.  Eggs poached to be properly cooked so that the yolk/white intermingles with the meat and the English Muffin well.  

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I totally agree with the items you mentioned and seen them at times on menus.

Not sausage or veggie but yes smoked salmon.

Also saw since we are in the Northeast from Maryland to Maine to Canada - with Hollandaise sometimes with/or chili, mustard  added to the sauce though I don't agree...

• Crabmeat on a bed of Spinach (Florentine)
  • Crabmeat on a bed of Smoked Salmon (Royale) w Citrus Hollandaise
  • Oysters on a bed of Spinach (Neptune Royale) w Champagne added to Hollandaise

These are a few we have seen. Now a days creative chefs are most likely creating more...

And now I'm quite hungry 🙂 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Eggs Benedict Florentine, Eggs Benedict with Crab as served at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver,  Eggs Benedict Italiano (it's the sauce that makes the difference):  all all good for a breakfast variety entree.  The best is a well prepared original.  Eggs poached to be properly cooked so that the yolk/white intermingles with the meat and the English Muffin well.  

As in the past, I always have the first morning breakfast and disembarkation breakfast EB on the QM2.

They make it excellent to remember.

At home if possible, I also use english crumpets instead of muffins

• Like 1