Cruise train transfer vs. AK Railroad

CleoPat

We have booked transfers through Royal Caribbean but are not using their air. We were told by our travel agent that since we are not using Royal's air and are not flying home the day the ship arrives in Seward, that they have put us on a 10:00 train instead of 7:00. Now I'm wondering if they meant 10 pm! Have any of you used the train transfer without using their air to know what time the train leaves for Anchorage? AK Railroad only shows their schedule, not the cruise ship train schedules. I can't get an answer from Royal since I booked through a travel agent, and I can't get a hold of my travel agent at this time. Otherwise, I'm going to have to rent a car in Seward instead of Anchorage and drive from Seward to Denali! HELP!:eek:

The ARR doesn't have a 10am or 10 pm train out of Seward. In the past Royal Caribbean put their coaches on the back of the daily ARR train. Try calling the local Royal Celebrity Tour office in Anchorage, they handle all the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ground ops.

Tel 907.278.8088

7am for cruise contracted train and it's much more expensive than the 6pm regular run that goes on the same tracks. If your going to rent a car in Seward you better book it now because they are almost always gone way ahead of time even at the outrageous prices they charge.

Sorry, but your agent doesn't know Alaska.

I suggest you consider enjoying Seward for the day and take the ONLY run of the Alaska RR at 6pm. Gets into Anchorage after 10pm. Next day rent your round trip Anchorage car and head toward Denali Park.

The BEAUTY of this option allows for Seward touring, Seavey's sled dogs, Godwin's glacier helicopters, my top choice - Kenai Fjords boat tours.

You can drop off your bags at the depot or the boat tour operators will store them for you. You can get off your ship very early- easily, just walk off the ship. :) The cruise contracted train- ONLY ONE, leaves about 7am and as already stated about 40% more than the regular run.

I know my agent does NOT KNOW ALASKA:mad: . I'm so sorry I started with her. Now I can't get any info out of RCI! Our problem is that we already have our air and have already changed the return once. Can't do it again. We have a car reserved in Anchorage, but we're going to reserve one in Seward just in case. I guess I should just try calling RCI tours in Alaska to find out what's going on with the train.

With the information on this board you don't need your agent. :) My suggestion only, I would cancel everything from RCI and transfer yourself.

Your best option is actually to take the regular run of the Alaska rr and spend the day touring there. Makes great use of time. :) RCI probably has you on their bus, so cancel that- there is NO chance of ANY train except the 2 mentioned. A car will run about $200/day, if you absolutely have to get to Anchorage that day, then take a bus, also independents available http://www.anchorage.net

With the information on this board you don't need your agent. :) My suggestion only, I would cancel everything from RCI and transfer yourself.

Your best option is actually to take the regular run of the Alaska rr and spend the day touring there. Makes great use of time. :) RCI probably has you on their bus, so cancel that- there is NO chance of ANY train except the 2 mentioned. A car will run about $200/day, if you absolutely have to get to Anchorage that day, then take a bus, also independents available www.anchorage.net

Great idea! :D Save a lot of driving if we take the bus to Anchorage. We were able to get a car for $129 total for 2 days! So I'll call the number ARKK suggested I call first to see what the story re the train with Royal is and if that doesn't work, I'll cancel the transfers with them and do the bus. I used to be a travel agent years ago and this is the first time I've used one in sooooooooooo many years. It was my friend's idea to use one. I always did my planning on my own and was always better off for it. This experience is teaching my friend a lesson, for sure:rolleyes:

The ARR doesn't have a 10am or 10 pm train out of Seward. In the past Royal Caribbean put their coaches on the back of the daily ARR train. Try calling the local Royal Celebrity Tour office in Anchorage, they handle all the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ground ops.

Tel 907.278.8088

Just wanted to let you know that I called the number you suggested and they were extremely helpful. Thanks so much!!:)

I have a question but the reverse. My group will be traveling from Anc. to Seward. I think because of this thread I have an understanding about the curise train transfer but I want to make sure.

If the train leaves Seward at 7am then it should arrive in Anc. about 12 noon. Right? Then the train leaves Anc. about 1:00 p.m. and should arrive in Sweard around 6:00p.m. Right?

I will call the number on this thread and ask for sure but I thought maybe someone might know.

Thanks for your help!

Archived