Cruise industry missing the boat?

I am starting to think that the economy is picking up so fast that the cruise industry is not going to keep pace and lag behind in progress.

Customers and especially investors will eventually grow tired of this “lack of transparency “ and lack of a game plan.

There is no doubt the CDC screwed them over with how slow they set their guidelines but I’m convinced the cruise companies may regret not being ready for the quick turnaround.

With all that has happened with vaccinations and dropped mask and social distancing guidelines it’s time to pick up the pace.

If every ship is not ready to sail by August first I truly  believe that they dropped the ball and were not ever really prepared to restart.

Airlines, restaurants, concerts, theatre, sporting events.... are starting to hit on all cylinders. 
ITS TIME TO FIRE UP THE BOW THRUSTERS AND GET THESE SHIPS SAILING.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I honestly think that the one thing that is going to prevent them is the lack of employees. I mean it’s everywhere. That’s where the biggest issue would be in getting all the ships to sail. After a few weeks/months it won’t be the CDC preventing them to sail, it’s going to be getting the ships with enough crew. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mavo68 said:

I honestly think that the one thing that is going to prevent them is the lack of employees. I mean it’s everywhere. That’s where the biggest issue would be in getting all the ships to sail. After a few weeks/months it won’t be the CDC preventing them to sail, it’s going to be getting the ships with enough crew. 

I agree 100%
the economy is growing faster than the businesses can get employees.  It’s past the extra 300.00 unemployment was giving. It’s a serious problem.  Granted most employees on board are from around the world but the supply chain employees are in high demand and hard to get.

That goes back to my point that the slower out of the gate the come out the harder it will be to catch up.

While the communication from Royal to customers is definitely frustrating, I do believe the cruise industry is doing the best they can to restart given the always changing CDC guidance and the lawsuits from Governors v. CDC related to CDC guidelines/restrictions for the cruise industry. No other sector - airlines included - has to jump through as many hoops to get going. I firmly believe the cruise industry still hopes to offer every sailing they are advertising and do not want to cancel the sailings until they are 100% sure they can't make it happen.

With that said, I do empathize with all of you who have cruises in the next 4-6 weeks with no confirmation other than it isn't cancelled yet. I I have a cruise out of Nassau on AoS on June 12 and wasn't able to check in until 2 weeks before despite the constant emails from Royal saying "hang in there we still don't know the guidelines from the CDC but will be in touch as soon as we do" [paraphrasing] And, as I write this, I still don't know guidelines on ship other than cruise contract says social distancing and masks "may" be required leaving open door for those restrictions.

But, I took risk booking in April 2021 for a June 2021 cruise. Many of you booked long ago so again I do understand the frustration. My point is that I do think cruise industry is unfairly targeted by CDC and they are doing best they can with always changing rules.

9 minutes ago, mavo68 said:

Majority of the crew come from various countries such as India and Philippines and I am sure they will be very happy to be back to work.

I think the problem may come at the cruise terminals at various US ports as they may be short handed workers and may end up with logistic problems with food deliveries, etc. etc.     

15 minutes ago, mavo68 said:

I keep hearing this thrown in here and there. Like ncl couldnt get two ships worth of vaccinated crew and cancelled thr Caribbean departures due to lack of crew.

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

I am starting to think that the economy is picking up so fast that the cruise industry is not going to keep pace and lag behind in progress.

Customers and especially investors will eventually grow tired of this “lack of transparency “ and lack of a game plan.

There is no doubt the CDC screwed them over with how slow they set their guidelines but I’m convinced the cruise companies may regret not being ready for the quick turnaround.

With all that has happened with vaccinations and dropped mask and social distancing guidelines it’s time to pick up the pace.

If every ship is not ready to sail by August first I truly  believe that they dropped the ball and were not ever really prepared to restart.

Airlines, restaurants, concerts, theatre, sporting events.... are starting to hit on all cylinders. 

I think the cruise industry will miss out on summer vacationers.  When our June Alaska cruise sailing was put on hold, we were given the option of a refund and switched to an Alaska land trip.  That being said cruisers love to cruise and we already have a 2022 sailing on the books. 

2 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

You could not be more off the mark.  The cruise lines are ready, the CDC has dragged this out way too long… All the cruise lines submitted, met with, lobbied and begged to get the CDC to get their asses in gear, and work with them to get these ships returned to service ASAP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mavo68 said:

I read NCL is having trouble getting enough of their crew back so they cancelled sailings by one or two ships (out of Dominican Republic and one other port) and transferred the crew to their ship sailing Alaska Itineraries 

1 hour ago, Mikeandliz said:

You could not be more off the mark.  The cruise lines are ready, the CDC has dragged this out way too long… All the cruise lines submitted, met with, lobbied and begged to get the CDC to get their asses in gear, and work with them to get these ships returned to service ASAP.

If it were just the CDC, the lines would be running their ships all over the world except in the US. They aren’t. 

• Like 3

On 6/2/2021 at 9:02 PM, zekekelso said:

If it were just the CDC, the lines would be running their ships all over the world except in the US. They aren’t. 

yea and now we can drag the governor into the mess as well.  I feel bad for all the execs in the cruise industry.  I wonder how many have any hair left on their heads from pulling it out over all the issues?

Airlines have bounced back pretty well