The Daily for Thursday Jun 03, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach.

I still ride my bike, but not far, a couple of miles will do it. Love does conquer all, we need more of it.

Copenhagen was on our cancelled Baltic cruise in 2020, so looking forward to pictures. It is back on the list!

@StLouisCruisersSo sorry to hear of your sisters decline. I am glad that you were able to spend that precious time with her. Hope memories will bring you peace. Praying for her and your entire family.

Today is Launch day. So we will be out to watch. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20

Good morning all!

Sorry I missed yesterday (just finished reading to catch up). Yesterday was Lou Gehrig Day at the Major League Baseball games and I celebrated by getting dose three of my trial drug for ALS. I will never love a lumbar puncture, but it went okay. The drug company  pays for your meals on treatment day and instead of eating more hospital food, my oldest DD, who came to sit with me, went out and got us Hawaiian PokeDoke for lunch. It was delicious, full of shrimp, crab, chicken, cold soba noodles and tons of veggies and fruit. They had bottled Japanese green tea as well. When I was finally released after 5:30, we stopped for dinner on the way home as well. Cellar House is a lovely little wine restaurant close to my house. We got to eat on the patio and we celebrated with a dry rose wine and a delicious appetizer of goat cheese, grilled grape tomatoes and toasted pita chips with sea salt. I had ordered all-American sliders (beef, cheddar cheese and grilled onions) but I ended up taking them home as I was too stuffed at that point.

A little bad news, health wise. I fell while working in my kitchen on Tuesday and my tail bone is not happy. Falls are a danger with ALS, but I try to be careful;  doctor said to give it a couple of days to see how it feels and if no improvement they will X-ray it. 

Thanks for today’s Daily. I haven’t made it to Copenhagen (or yesterday’s port either). I’m not a White Russian fan, but wine is never a bad choice. I love the quote today. I have been president of all sorts of committees and a Girl Scout Leader. It was my experience that people are willing to do the work, but they never want the title!  They just want someone else to tell them what to do. (Autocorrect just made that “tell them what to drink”😂)

Sending prayers to all on our care list 🙏. And raising a glass to the celebrations 🍷.

St Louis Sal

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful collection of days. Love may not conquer all, but it gives the sender peace.

Thank you Jacqui and Roy for keeping up with us! I so appreciate what you do. Morning Dailyites and my Sisters. Another glorious morning. A bit later than usual, because Bindi and I had another encounter with a loose pack of dogs. And then I live streamed a 7th grade award ceremony where my grand nephew received an award for making the honor roll and getting a high school credit for Information Technology. 

Today will be a bit more usual schedule wise, but I got a lot done yesterday. So I am happy.  No idea what I will do for supper. Hoping for inspiration. 

Praying for all who need our support.  Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone. 

First, and most important the correct name of today’s wine is Antinori Solaia. Secondly, the 2017 vintage can be yours for a mere $249.00. But what a wine! A red blend for the wish list. I did not see a rating below 95 for any vintage. Wow!

Winemaker Notes

Deep ruby red in color, the nose of this red wine offers ample notes of blackberries, black currants and hints of fresh mint. The bouquetlends spicy aromas of white pepper, toasted cinnamon and cocoa. Rich and mouth-filling palate; soft, velvety, tannins impart a lengthy finish and aftertaste where toasty notes reappear.
Blend: 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Sangiovese, 8% Cabernet Franc
WE96 Wine Enthusiast:  Made with 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Sangiovese and 8% Cabernet Franc, this has aromas of black currant, menthol, Mediterranean herbs and spice. The palate offers dried black cherry, star anise, tobacco and toasted almond framed in tightly wound, close-grained tannins that produce a firm finish. This is already generous, but give the tannins a few years to unwind. Drink 2023–2029. 
WS95 Wine Spectator: Expressive, featuring a bright burst of cherry, black currant, iron and oak spice aromas and flavors. Fresh and fluid, with well-mannered tannins and impeccable balance. A big wine, with an elegant feel. Pulls all the elements together nicely for the vintage. Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2022 through 2042.

• Like 27

58 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning, I say Good morning.  Haven't ridden a bike in decades.  I LOL'd at the Pollard quote.  The meal sounds and looks wonderful.

Dreary day today, the beginning of our rainy season and it is so needed.  Will be great to give our well a break.

Looking forward to all the photo's of today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Continue to stay safe, social distance, and continued wearing of your mask.

White Russian:

Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz (5 parts) Vodka, 1 oz (3 parts) Fresh cream, 2/3 oz (2 parts) Coffee liqueur
Preparation: Pour coffee liqueur and vodka into an Old Fashioned glass filled with ice. Float fresh cream on top and stir slowly.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.39.20 AM.png

Summer, please send some rain my way. The clouds seem to part when they reach 95 and totally miss me. 

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yesterday I heard news of my sister.  She is usually non verbal now, though if you speak to her she will mumble her brief reply.  It's difficult to understand her.  Her respirations have declined to 4 per minute and that is worrisome.  She no longer eats.  They are having the priest come visit and he will give her Last Rites I would guess.  When I was with her Saturday morning she was speaking clearly although you could tell she was tired.  She had eaten grapes and part of a muffin when I arrived!  My twin had sent along a ziploc bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies and they were delicious.  I offered one to my nephew, and Nancy said "What about me?"  We laughed and said of course you can have one.  She nibbled on it and seemed to enjoy it.  I don't think she's had much if anything to eat since then.  Anyway, after that I texted my son (Nancy is his godmother) and asked if he wanted to FaceTime with Nancy since she was so verbal.  He had been asking about that prior.  So he did FaceTime her and they had a nice chat.  Much love was exchanged between them on that call and I think that's about the last time she's been so awake.  By the time I left for the airport Nancy was dozing off and unable to keep her eyes open long.  She started declining Saturday night.  I'm keeping that morning in my heart.  I don't expect her to last much longer.  It would be a miracle if she did.  🙏

May the love I am sending your way give you peace, Sandi. ❤️

• Like 15

@ger_77 I'm very sorry to hear about your favorite uncle.  How can they still be spreading this virus in hospitals with all the protective gear they wear?  My DMIL got Covid in her nursing home in January along with others.  She's lucky she survived it at 94, but honestly she is not in a good place most of the time.  I don't want to live so long I outlive a good quality of life.  I am seeing that more and more.

At any rate, I send prayers to your uncle and all family members.  🙏

• Like 17

Morning folks - looks like we're coming to the end of our first spell of hot weather for this summer.  It's been getting up to 30 C (86 F) - temperatures we usually don't see until July. 

We've been to Copenhagen several times, including catching the Zuiderdam for a transatlantic crossing in 2018 and a B2B Highlands/Baltic cruise in 2019. We spent several days pre-cruise in 2018 and found Copenhagen to be very interesting and enjoyable area to visit. Seeing Copenhagen is a popular port, I'm sure many people will be posting great pictures ( as some have already done), so again I'll just post a link to my previous review of our 2018 cruise out of Copenhagen. The link is Review of Visits to Norway/Iceland/Greenland on Fall 2018 Cruise. - Holland America Line - Cruise Critic Community

I realize I have previous posted links to this review in respect to other ports we visited on the cruise, but seeing it includes many pictures/videos of the Copenhagen, along with comments from other cruisers - I feel it just saves time and space by doing it this way.

• Like 22

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks to Rich, love to my sisters, prayers continue for our Roy's recovery. Thanks Jacqui and Food and Bev ladies for posting. 

Sandi, garlictown, St. Louis Sal, my heart goes out to you.

Last night we met friends at our Sun City pub called Wriggleys. Our group is growing and growing. Had 27 people kinda packed in. It rained and hailed on the way back from Allen's ultrasound appt to Sun City. It was scary on I35 where the speed limit is 75 and people were not slowing down..

I have back to back Mahjongg classes and play today. Looking forward to it!

Allen tools around on his 3 wheel recumbent bike. I ride periodically. 

image.png.f99d1931e0ac0949e531a504a84ef35b.png

image.png.67768187e051119821aa92e53fe8da88.png

Love, blessings,  cheers and prayers. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 2

Good Morning!

We have been to Copenhagen twice. 

In August of 2006, we stopped in Copenhagen for a day during our Baltic cruise (Celebrity Century).  We took a ship’s tour and saw lots of castles and palaces.  The only one I remember the name of was Kronborg Castle (of Hamlet fame).   

Most of the places we visited have already been shown, so will not duplicate (besides that, our pictures seem to be pretty lousy). 😱

On April 29, 2019, we disembarked our most recent Eastbound TA (Regal Princess) in Copenhagen.  We spent 3 nights there at the Absalon Hotel before flying back home.

Almost all of my pictures of this last visit were of food and restaurants, but I will leave you with my favorite photo of Copenhagen.....💕

DSCF3853.thumb.jpg.1a11ac16539af12247af23aa11d71d89.jpg

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 28

Good  morning. Good  morning. I  truly  believe  that  love  conquers  all. Bicycling  is  best  left  to  the  younger  family  members  and  is  downright  life  threatening  around  here unless  on  a  bike  path.

I  like  the  quote  and  today's recipe. Our  dinner  tonight  will  be  Swedish  meatballs  as  per  DH's request.

We  went  to  Copenhagen  on  our  first  European trip. The  Eurodam  was our  lovely  vessel. I  was  so  excited  to  be  going  to  ancestral  homelands(Sweden,Russia)  and  did  not  sleep  at  all on  the  flight  over. Our  hotel  room  was  tiny as  well  but  the  biggest  challenge  was  trying  to  use  the  shower  without  getting  water  all  over  the  floor. Yikes.

We  stumbled  out  to  see  the  little  mermaid  and  Tivoli  but  crashed  in  the  afternoon due  to fatigue. My  pictures  are  not  as  nice  as  the  others  I  see  and  I  thank  you  for  them.

@ger_77, I  am  so  sorry  about  your  uncle. Prayers  for  you  and  the  family  at  this  hard  time.

@garlictown, I  am  glad  you  got  your  cast  but  sorry  you  had  to  go  through  so  much  to  get  your  wrist  taken  care  of.

@StLouisCruisers,I  am  thinking  of  you  and  your  family  today. Prayers  for  all.

Terry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisersI am holding you close to my heart today.   I hope God grants Nancy a peaceful passing and I am thankful you had the time with her that you did.  

@ger_77I'm so sorry to hear of your uncle.   I hope he is peaceful and out of pain.   You are in my thoughts and prayers.   

• Like 12

@ St Louis Sal,  I  just  saw  your  post  and  am  very  sorry  about  your fall. It  has  to  be  difficult  on  top  of  your  lumbar  puncture  as  well. Take  it  easy  if  you  can.  

• Like 11

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  LOL on the Repeat Day!  I was definitely in repeat mode yesterday with my planting and will be again today 😉 

12AC1EFC-81D6-4CCF-8DBD-554DA9FF43CB.jpeg.1f03feec3c37a9beef80c0e9b3f4e3d0.jpeg

Love should be celebrated every day 😄 

LOL on the Pollard quote.  Not sure what’s on the menu tonight but it isn’t pork loin.  I need something easy after all day of planting.  Maybe even a seafood bake?

We’ve been to Copenhagen several times and enjoy it very much.  I’ll check my other devices to see if I have any digital pictures I can share when I’m taking a mini break from working outside 😉 

Well, we can certainly tell it’s June here.  The bane of my existence outside when I’m working:

D8DB032F-6C0E-440D-AD65-83BA7085FDDE.jpeg.c8f4a02a016b229e37aa82a9453b8ae8.jpeg

Today’s Care List:

• Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery and wrist cast
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in hospice and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle for pending heart surgery
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • smitty34877’s Tana fever returning
  • The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.
  • Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - I have a question for all of you.  Anyone use the coconut fibre planters to start plants?  Some of my transplants popped out nicely so I have a ton of them drying.  Can they be re-used or do I need to worry about bacteria?  Thanks if anyone has tried it/knows.

Prayers for everyone the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

DDAE06DB-77DF-4D3A-9EC2-75E10779C155.jpeg.33ba32473c32eb815dd0bb8703dc8205.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your masks 😷 

Thanks for the Care List

• Like 6

Rich:  Thanks for the DAILY FLEET Report.  The HAL Chaplaincy list came out yesterday for two ships.  I will not be applying,  Back in the day 20 or 25 years ago, the HAL Bulletin each day would tell where each of the ships were located.  The Rotterdam VI was being built and it as noted each day that : "Rotterdam VI under construction in Venice."  So your listing of Rotterdam VII is most apropos. Keep up the good work.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, superoma said:

A slightly different spelling gives us this info, which I think is what today’s recipe is meant to be.

Porchetta (Italian pronunciation: [porˈketta]) is a savory, fatty, and moist boneless pork roast of Italian culinary tradition. The carcass is deboned, arranged carefully stuffed with liver, wild fennel, all fat and skin still on spitted, and/or roasted, traditionally over wood for at least 8 hours. Porchetta is usually heavily salted in addition to being stuffed with garlic, rosemary, fennel, or other herbs, often wild. Porchetta has been selected by the Italian Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policy as a prodotto agroalimentare tradizionale (“traditional agricultural-food product”, one of a list of 

but I like your recipes better Debbie

I think you're right, Eva.    I looked it up and while it sounds like more work, it does sound good.  

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/gorgeous-dinner-of-porchetta-stuffed-with-wild-mushrooms-celeriac-mash-and-gravy/

793123887_porchetta1.thumb.jpg.fb8d269c981d4c5e7a65b815f40d47e0.jpg

The next choice doesn't have gravy on it, but most of us know how to make gravy from the pan drippings, right?

https://leitesculinaria.com/5752/recipes-pork-loin-porchetta.html

pork-loin-in-the-style-porchetta.jpg.optimal.thumb.jpg.24315ec76ad4f53bd4cac6744f21b3a8.jpg

It sure does look good!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

We really enjoyed our visit to Copenhagen as a post-cruise day and a half after a Baltic Cruise on the Marco Polo many, many years ago.  We did the usual stuff and then had a very early flight home.  The flight was so early that we decided to just stay awake all night.  I remember looking out the hotel window at a major six lane road at 2:30 in the morning.  There was a Traffic Light on the corner.  EVERYONE stopped and waited for the light to turn green before making a right turn, or going through the intersection.  No one drove above the speed limit, either.  

Prayers for everyone.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Right now I would love to be able to repeat some cruises.  I used to bicycle a lot (including Baltimore to Montreal many years ago) but haven't for many years.  I greatly support love conquers all.  Ironically, yesterday's sunset photo was from today's port of the day.  Pollard was a very wise man.  I like the meal suggestion.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Classic Caesar Salad, and Sauteed Pork Chop as served on MS Prinsendam June 3, 2015.  Doctor's appointment this morning, routine visit with urologist deferred a couple of weeks to not be so close to my surgery.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

Tara back home and accepting help

second jabs for superoma’s family

Bi-rnational atrocities coming to public awareness, Kamloops and Tulsa

HorizonChaser1957 second jab appointment

second jabs for ger_77 and DH

Cast in place for Cruising-along’s grandson

Ashburton bridge back in service

Pat’s colonoscopy out of the way

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the shout out list.  Glad you continue to bounce back. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning, I say Good morning.  Haven't ridden a bike in decades.  I LOL'd at the Pollard quote.  The meal sounds and looks wonderful.

Dreary day today, the beginning of our rainy season and it is so needed.  Will be great to give our well a break.

Looking forward to all the photo's of today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Continue to stay safe, social distance, and continued wearing of your mask.

White Russian:

Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz (5 parts) Vodka, 1 oz (3 parts) Fresh cream, 2/3 oz (2 parts) Coffee liqueur
Preparation: Pour coffee liqueur and vodka into an Old Fashioned glass filled with ice. Float fresh cream on top and stir slowly.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.39.20 AM.png

I was introduced to this drink by some table mates on the Ryndam during an Alaskan cruise about 19 years ago.  I liked it.  On another point the last time I rode a bike was about 20 years ago on HMC.  I took a spill and I have not been on a bike since that incident. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I have a question for all of you.  Anyone use the coconut fibre planters to start plants?  Some of my transplants popped out nicely so I have a ton of them drying.  Can they be re-used or do I need to worry about bacteria?  Thanks if anyone has tried it/knows.

We would reuse them in Maine which is close to you climate-wise. We washed them out and dried them in the sun. (For quite a while. Pretty much until someone yelled at me to put them away.) They were stored in an unheated shed in the winter. You could reuse them once or twice.

• Like 15

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily Report.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm happy to say that we had rain over night.  Our rain barrels are full!

@StLouisCruisers @ger_77  Such a difficult time for you and your families.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

@kb4683 Love that picture.  Thanks for the smile.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, dfish said:

What is a porketta?

I also found the Wikipedia entry, but I'm pretty sure that ships wouldn't be using a wood fire.

Edited by kochleffel
Information posted upthread.
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1