Fun Crystal Story From a New Crystal Cruiser

I post a lot on all Social Media especially on Luxury Products and Services. Recently I posted on “Reddit” in the cruise sub-directory.  Not the ideal area to post about Luxury Cruise but I posted anyway. I am very excited about my up coming Crystal Cruise to the Bahamas.  As you all might not know, “Reddit” is anonymous as is Cruise Critic.  You never know who you are visiting with, and you always must use a level of caution.  I was given a “Private Chat” request.  The person said they were a member of the Hotel Management team for the Crystal Symphony.  He liked my post and wanted to know how and why I choose Crystal for my first Luxury Cruise.  I communicated on many topics, and he was over the top kind. This was outside the box.  A team member that loves his company so much he engages folks online to show his enthusiasm for his brand. 

When you are older but not over the hill.  You want something different from your cruising experience.  You don’t know how to put it into words.  Maybe because it is much more about actions, then words.  Something as simple as going to your favorite bar, the bartender seeing you are coming.  When you sit, they say, “Hello Gary, Grey Goose Lemon on the rocks right?” and there is your drink. Or a random person, online that anonymously engages to you in a positive way about your cruise choice who works for the brand you choose.  That is personalized service, that is what is hard to put into words.  That is what anyone, regardless of past experiences would love to receive.  If that is the Crystal Difference even before I sail, I will be hooked. 

I just thought this board would appreciate this story.  Cruise well everyone.

• Like 10

Nice post. And you’ve been given a glimpse of the sincerity of the personalized service many of us have come to revere of the Crystal experience. 

• Like 5

Your bar example is exactly what you can expect. Just wait until you order room service!

Something else to add: Once the cabin stewardess knock my shaving cream canister off the shelf and it broke. She actually replaced it (with another product), along with a handwritten note apologizing. 

• Like 3

Great post and observations.

Very shortly after we boarded our first Crystal Cruise I became Crystalized.

While up to that point we had many good experiences from cruising, I quickly realized the difference is on Crystal they quickly treated me as an individual rather than as just a "number".  They were very personalized versus robotized.

I hope you have a similar experience and you are already off to a great start.

Keith

• Like 3

3 hours ago, njguy_south said:

Your bar example is exactly what you can expect. Just wait until you order room service!

I only can confirm the great service in the bars on Crystal  - I like martini's but only before dinner ; before lunch  I have something softer - with less alcohol  - one of the bartenders once asked me is it seabreeze day today or bubbles day ? 😄

I only can hope vast majority of the people in the F&B department are able to come back ... because it was a very international team (vaccines ... ) and to find the same friendliness on the C river ships as well in fall .  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Something as simple as going to your favorite bar, the bartender seeing you are coming.  When you sit, they say, “Hello Gary, Grey Goose Lemon on the rocks right?”

Don't set your expectations too high.  While I say the experience is very similar between regulars and first timers, and those in basic cabins vs penthouses, there are differences.  Don't expect that scenario to happen until day 2 or maybe even day 3.  Enjoy your Crystal experience.

Roy

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Don't set your expectations too high.  While I say the experience is very similar between regulars and first timers, and those in basic cabins vs penthouses, there are differences.  Don't expect that scenario to happen until day 2 or maybe even day 3.  Enjoy your Crystal experience.

Roy

Roy, the key for me in cruising is to set realistic expectations.  I am very good at that.  Just glad to have the experience in July vs. next year to be frank.  I fully understand what you are saying and appreciate it very much.

• Like 2

This is the story of how we became Crystallized.

It was our first Crystal cruise, 2008, Panama Canal. After a big initial disappointment on the day of embarkation when we realized we were in a fully obstructed view cabin (former TA not familiar with Crystal’s fault) and no way to rectify it because it was a full sailing, my husband who is a bit of a car buff decided to order a BIG car part from a company in California. We wanted to avoid having it sent to Canada and decided to ask the reception desk if there was any way we could have it delivered to the ship upon arriving in LA. The answer was “my pleasure”. All we did was give them the contact information and they coordinated delivery to the Crystal port agent (or something like that). The huge box was delivered to our cabin soon after we docked. I call that going well beyond the call of duty.

P.S. we so enjoyed our cruise (despite the obstructed view cabin) that we’ve been cruising once or twice a year, almost exclusively, on Crystal ever since.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

This is the story of how we became Crystallized.

I know I have told this story before, but in the spirit of this thread......

The In-Laws, who we had cruised with frequently, were on the first two segments of the very first Crystal World Cruise. (we still have some of the "swag"), after which Dad-in-Law kept harping on how Crystal was the best, to which I would ask, "So when are you taking us?" In 2000, they did, BA to Miami, on Harmony, where we met a Lido steward named Dio who took great care of us. Fast forward to May 2021, our very first Alaska cruise, also on Harmony, out of San Francisco. We are walking across the pool deck when I spotted Dio, and he spotted us. He came across, welcomed us back by name, and asked about my In-Laws (who were not with us) by name! After some 30+ Crystal cruises since, we are used to being welcomed back by name, but all these years later, that first experience still resonates!

• Like 6

Our first Crystal cruise - Harmony out of Copenhagen - when we boarded the captain welcomed us HOME.  We thought that was strange but after a day we understood - it was as welcome as home can be.

• Like 4

We drank Crystal’s kool-aid our first day aboard Harmony in 2004.

I rather apologetically asked Maitre’d Victor if we could have a table for two, second seating. Sensing I felt like I was asking for the moon, having no past passenger status, and sailing in the cheapest inside accommodation, Victor leaned into me and said, quite simply, “we WANT you to be happy”. 

Victor stopped by our table each night, chatted us up a bit, his grace and charm always on full display.

Back again the following year, this time I asked him if we could be assigned to one of our favorite waiter’s section. But that particular section was full. So he simply moved the waiter over to the section we’d already been assigned to. 

• Like 10

On our first Crystal cruise, as we went down to dinner on the first night, we heard a cry of joy and looked across the dining room to see a guest and one of the wait staff jumping up and down and greeting each other with happy hugs.

"What a strange ship!" I said to myself.

Fast forward another fifteen years and I blush to think how many times I have also performed "the happy dance" on being reunited with a dear crew member each time I got back on the ship.

Crystalized Emily

• Like 12

All my professional career, I focused on studying why clients act the way they do. What makes clients fully engaged with a brand.

The facts have been, it is not that the brand has the biggest or most expensive ship or facility. It is how the brand makes the consumer feel. Are they sincere with one thing, to always exceed the clients expectation. Does the brand find ways to raise their bar.  

All of this has To do with personalized service by the brands team members. I know from experience how hard it is to make this happen.

It is obvious from the many comments on this post that crystal I succeeded with many of you. I hope they read this and warm Lee appreciate all the kind things all of you have said.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We'v been cruising Crystal since 1995. We took a trans Pacific in 2007 and convinced friends to come along - they did and loved it. MANY years later, they did Antarctica (without us - it was ok) and JohnJohn approached them on the Lido deck and instantly recognized them as our friends, named us AND them!

Edited by suzeluvscruz
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

All my professional career, I focused on studying why clients act the way they do. What makes clients fully engaged with a brand.

The facts have been, it is not that the brand has the biggest or most expensive ship or facility. It is how the brand makes the consumer feel. Are they sincere with one thing, to always exceed the clients expectation. Does the brand find ways to raise their bar.  

These people are our friends. I am not sure if I like them looked at as marketing tools. Are you cruising to do research or to live well?

No offense, but the crew is serious business to Crystal fans.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Pat King said:

These people are our friends. I am not sure if I like them looked at as marketing tools. Are you cruising to do research or to live well?

I am retired. My life is to live well. I spent my life teaching other to treat client the way they want to be treated. Now, I get to possibility enjoy instead of teach. 

It is all I have left. No offense taken. As a matter of fact, thank you for saying what you did. 

Edited by Sthrngary
I edited this post because I had more to say.  Cruise well everyone.
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Pat King said:

He was paying the company and crew a compliment.  

Edited by njguy_south
  • Like 5

On 6/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, Roland4 said:

The In-Laws, who we had cruised with frequently, were on the first two segments of the very first Crystal World Cruise. (we still have some of the "swag"), after which Dad-in-Law kept harping on how Crystal was the best, to which I would ask, "So when are you taking us?" In 2000, they did, BA to Miami, on Harmony, where we met a Lido steward named Dio who took great care of us. Fast forward to May 2021, our very first Alaska cruise, also on Harmony, out of San Francisco. We are walking across the pool deck when I spotted Dio, and he spotted us. He came across, welcomed us back by name, and asked about my In-Laws (who were not with us) by name! After some 30+ Crystal cruises since, we are used to being welcomed back by name, but all these years later, that first experience still resonates!

Great story!

@Roland4 I need to ask you something. How can I contact you?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Great story!

@Roland4 I need to ask you something. How can I contact you?

@ak1004Being a TA I am really restricted in what I can say here, and I accept that. Any kind of contact info is likely to get me kicked off the board. Sorry.

Edited by Roland4
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, Roland4 said:

Roland we are also booked on the 2023WC. Where did you obtain your travel insurance? All the US carriers won’t cover us. 
Many thanks,

miriam 

9 hours ago, Emdee said:

Roland we are also booked on the 2023WC. Where did you obtain your travel insurance? All the US carriers won’t cover us. 
Many thanks,

miriam 

We have not done the insurance yet. The deposit is still refundable, less the admin fees, and we self-insure for that. When the time comes, and things are back to more normal, we will go through Manulife World Travel, the supplier for the agency I work out of. 

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

We have not done the insurance yet. The deposit is still refundable, less the admin fees, and we self-insure for that. When the time comes, and things are back to more normal, we will go through Manulife World Travel, the supplier for the agency I work out of. 

Thanks so much. Just something to think about in the next few months.

3 hours ago, Emdee said:

Thanks so much. Just something to think about in the next few months.

Greetings Emdee  and Roland 4, Ray and I are also booked on this WC Miami (?) to Athens.

Looking forward to meeting you both ....Perhaps in Crystal Cove or Avenue Saloon to start off the new adventure!

Cheers Pat and Ray

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

Greetings Emdee  and Roland 4, Ray and I are also booked on this WC Miami (?) to Athens.

Looking forward to meeting you both ....Perhaps in Crystal Cove or Avenue Saloon to start off the new adventure!

Cheers Pat and Ray

Looks like the Canadian contingent will be well represented!