Scottish Cruise Ports - are they Accepting Cruise Ships Yet?

tring

I had heard recently that the Scottish Government had not given approval for cruises to call a their ports as yet.  Can I ask if anyone knows if that is still the case, and if so, is it thought approval will be obtained in time for summer cruises.  I know MSC VIrtuosa is (or was) due to call into Greenock on the 9th June. 

from BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57406705

Passengers on a cruise ship touring the UK have been told they will not be allowed to disembark in Scotland.

The MSC Virtuosa's operator says Scottish government Covid rules block it from entering the port of Greenock.

The government has said domestic cruises can only restart when restrictions in all of Scotland reach level one.

• Thanks 1

As said, MSC were due in Greenock tomorrow, but are now remaining docked in Liverpool overnight and until later tomorrow. I had messaged Fred Olsen on FB last week asking if he will be able to stop at his Scottish ports this summer. I got a reply yesterday saying he has not yet had confirmation from the Scottish Government, so is currently unsure, but will let me know when they know if they will be able to call.

I suspect MSC did not previously have confirmation, but had left it until last minute to cancel in the hope the Scottish Government would change their minds (and that the people embarking in Liverpool had already arrived today to check in!)......Hmmmm.

1 hour ago, Ray66 said:

from BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57406705

Passengers on a cruise ship touring the UK have been told they will not be allowed to disembark in Scotland.

The MSC Virtuosa's operator says Scottish government Covid rules block it from entering the port of Greenock.

The government has said domestic cruises can only restart when restrictions in all of Scotland reach level one.

Given what I had heard from other sources over the last week, the Scottish Government were basically sitting on the fence, saying they remained committed to accepting cruises, and a statement would be made soon.  The statement regards all of Scotland having to be at level 1, only seems to have been made today. 

I do not feel that is a reason for MSC to have left it so late in cancelling tomorrow's call though.  They do not appear to have picked passengers up in Greenock previously and sounds like there may only have been one lady (possibly with a few others) who were due to disembark their.  There some passengers due to be picked up in Greenock (38 according to a member of staff on the ship apparently), most of whom apparently chose to not join the ship, though one couple drove to Liverpool, arriving late afternoon today to embark.  The passengers on the cruise could only have left the ship on organised excursions, Though seems they were not going to be allowed either. 

I have seen a post elsewhere which said all MSC calls to Greenock have now been cancelled up to an including 23rd June, but that was a report of a comment elsewhere and I do not have first hand knowledge of that particular comment.  We went into LIverpool today and got the other information from a member of the MSC staff at the checkin entrance and from a blog made by someone currently on the ship.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1