LIVE Virtuosa 05/06/21 the first 7 night sailing.

kernow

If the situation gets worse for our sailing in early august, what do u think the chances are of just sailing to the good weather without stopping off at any ports, or do u think there’s a chance the cruise may be cancelled ? I don’t mind if they want to sail to Spain and just round in a circle as long as we get nice weather. 😂 I’d rather that than a cancellation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kernow said:

We've just heard that Greenock is cancelled for tomorrow. More information to follow but apparently due to Scottish government regulations.

Were passengers due to board Virtuosa at Greenock tomorrow?

14 hours ago, Robkat said:

Thanks very much for this.

Although we're in Florida, where mask restrictions have been eased up lately, DH is a Glasgow guy, and we still have family over there, so we've been getting all the latest on how things are going for them.

we can only imagine how nice it must be for you to be back cruising AND enjoying YC.  We're hoping that we're able to do the same on the Mera in August!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

How are things in Florida right now ? Was thinking of going to Disney next year but I’m nervous about booking anything. 

11 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

If the situation gets worse for our sailing in early august, what do u think the chances are of just sailing to the good weather without stopping off at any ports, or do u think there’s a chance the cruise may be cancelled ? I don’t mind if they want to sail to Spain and just round in a circle as long as we get nice weather. 😂 I’d rather that than a cancellation. 

The biggest risk would be your embarkation port town being locked down, in my case that would be Southampton, I truly don't believe it could happen that all ports would be closed, worst case would be to miss one or two.
I suppose as the majority board in Southampton port, a lock down there could scupper the cruise.

18 minutes ago, two hoots said:

I believe the first passengers to embark from Greenock is the 16th June, we are on the 21st June sailing 🤔 

Edited by NightWoman

21 minutes ago, two hoots said:

Not sure if anyone was due to board but there is at least one person who was due to leave. I haven't spoken to her personally but apparently she is happy to stay on until Southampton and travel back.

There has still not been an official announcement and staff will not confirm anything but people who had excursions booked have had letters saying Greenock is cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wirral36 said:

I really cannot see things getting to that stage, unless this Delta variant explodes in the coming days. They definitely wouldn't sail outside of British waters, that's the agreement with the UK Government to sail.

MSC did say at one point that, where feasible, they would try to sail in areas where the weather is best.

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

Not at all surprised, Delta COVID-19 variant is spiking UK wide and this will be cautionary on SG advice!

Hard to believe this, but the same SG gave the go ahead for a fanzone at Glasgow Green for the duration of the Euros....including the sale of food and alcohol from the typical vendors who frequent large events! This will likely be pulled today with only 3 days to go till Euros commence, there's rightly been a huge outcry from pub and restaurant owners who have been locked down and are now open under restrictions as to why a fanzone for up to 6000 people can go ahead at this time....and it's not just for the Scotland games, but every single Euros match!

I was wrong....again!!

The SG have confirmed it will go ahead, but the 6000 is based on 3000 attendees for afternoon games and same for evening games. UEFA have banned bagpipes, due to risk of airborne particles, so that's a relief! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

CD has just announced that Greenock is cancelled and we are overnighting in  Liverpool instead. Sadly though we still can't get off without an official excursion.

Luckily the weather is beautiful and we are all on the sundecks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kernow said:

CD has just announced that Greenock is cancelled and we are overnighting in  Liverpool instead. Sadly though we still can't get off without an official excursion.

Luckily the weather is beautiful and we are all on the sundecks.

That is great news, looking at the weather map for tomorrow you may be in dry skies! Glad to hear in other posts you are enjoying YC.

5 minutes ago, hamrag said:

That is great news, looking at the weather map for tomorrow you may be in dry skies! Glad to hear in other posts you are enjoying YC.

We are loving YC, I think we decided on the first night that we will book it again on future cruises. Not every cruise (we're not people for whom money is no object) but for special occasions or as a treat if we see a good deal.

It feels like the difference between a perfectly nice hotel and a deluxe one. The service is superb, Mary our butler is a real gem, MSC really know what they are doing with these upgrade bids. I think there are many like us who once they have experienced it will want to do it again.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

A bit of an update on Greenock.   Seems the 16th and 23rd June departures from the port are now affected too.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/2290318/scots-cruise-passengers-barred-from-stepping-foot-in-their-own-country/

This is so unfair and frustrating of the Scottish Government, we are sailing with all British passengers and a high percentage will have had 2 vaccinations, people who haven't will have had a PCR/lateral flow test and we will be tested whilst onboard what more do we need to do.

No passengers will be wandering around Greenock, Liverpool, Southampton or Portland risking the lives of the public.

I thought we were nearing some normality particularly as Greenock is in level 1 and most of Scotland is in level 1/2. With only a day before the ship is to dock in Greenock they decide no, giving no real reason. Apart from the disappointment of everyone due to embark on the 16th and 23rd, us included, a much needed boost to the Scottish economy goes down the drain 😒

• Like 4

Just now, NightWoman said:

This is so unfair and frustrating of the Scottish Government, we are sailing with all British passengers and a high percentage will have had 2 vaccinations, people who haven't will have had a PCR/lateral flow test and we will be tested whilst onboard what more do we need to do.

No passengers will be wandering around Greenock, Liverpool, Southampton or Portland risking the lives of the public.

I thought we were nearing some normality particularly as Greenock is in level 1 and most of Scotland is in level 1/2. With only a day before the ship is to dock in Greenock they decide no, giving no real reason. Apart from the disappointment of everyone due to embark on the 16th and 23rd, us included, a much needed boost to the Scottish economy goes down the drain 😒

This has unfortunately been rumbling on a while.   Our team / port are awaiting confirmation on the few remaining visits to Edinburgh, with a Scottish MSP even lobbying NS about it after Fred Olsen cancelled their short cruises out of Rosyth (where their fleet has been laid up since all this began).   Apparently, it's okay to drive from Southampton to Scotland without any checks, but not so much involving a mainly vaccinated, bubbled cruise ship.

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger

We are up in Scotland on holiday with our friends from scotia right now… we’ve been driving and visiting all over the highlands and moray firth with really good protocols applying everywhere….. they are due to be going on Virtuosa in July from Greenock and they are fizzing…. Can’t believe that they are banned in their own country….. but Ms sturgeon has approved up to 6,000 people to meet o Glasgow green to watch the football… with no testing or anything… (Glasgow being the problem area)….. 

4 minutes ago, NightWoman said:

Apart from the disappointment of everyone due to embark on the 16th and 23rd, us included, a much needed boost to the Scottish economy goes down the drain 😒

So sorry to hear this, try to contact MSC and see if they will allow you to board at a different port maybe Liverpool if you can get extra time off?
Now we see the importance of the Covid insurance they insisted on.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NightWoman said:

Totally agree.

Are you due on 16th or 23rd and have you been given any options? Our TA has heard nothing yet (we are booked on 16th). So deflated 😔

Guest BigRoger
1 minute ago, kernow said:

Really sorry for those who were due to embark tomorrow or the next couple of weeks. Will you be able to travel to join the ship?

There’s a suggestion that besides a refund, those boarding in Greenock tomorrow have been offered a coach to Liverpool to board the ship tomorrow in liverpool

Does the SG have any idea what it's taken for cruise lines to get up and running the planning and sorting the tours out etc? It doesn't make any sense especially when you can drive all the way up the whole of the country to visit without being tested once and have a wander round see the sights etc. To give MSC that short notice is not good as they have proven time and time again they know what they are doing in regards the covid bit on their ships. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Totally agree.

Are you due on 16th or 23rd and have you been given any options? Our TA has heard nothing yet (we are booked on 16th). So deflated 😔

We are on the 23rd and this would have been our first time with MSC, we only decided to go on the cruise because it was leaving from Greenock, so no flights involved. Our TA is trying to find out but because it's just been announced there's very little information available just now.

Like you we are feeling very deflated at the moment especially as I've just ironed all my husbands shirts and put them on the portable clothes rack ready for packing  😒

Edited by NightWoman

2 minutes ago, NightWoman said:

We are on the 23rd and our TA is trying to find out but because it's just been announced there's very little information available just now. Like you we are feeling very deflated at the moment especially as I've just ironed all my husbands shirts and put them on the portable clothes rack 😒

Aww it’s just rubbish isn’t it. My poor TA will be sick to the back teeth of me, we only managed to get cabin allocated and e tickets released about two hours before this news broke! So near and yet so far! 

Really hoping there’s an option to board somewhere else on the same day 🤞